U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 6,682,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You will need to be sober like never before and hopefully you'll be too consume by the Holy Spirit, if not now, but especially then, to want none other. By the way, while we are on the topic of beer and the Holy Spirit, which one take precedence in your life now? Just curious.
That's a funny question Betsey!!
And my answer is : Neither!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 AM

4,273 posts, read 3,671,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
That's a funny question Betsey!!
And my answer is : Neither!

Cheers!
Which question is it that you find funny ShepsMom? What's sad to me is that you can even equate the consuming of the Holy Spirit, to the consuming of beers. Which prompted me to ask: Which one takes precedence over your life? Trust me when I say, NO pun was intended at all.

You have participated thus far, why not go a "step" farther? As I've stated in the above, "step out of your box" of unbelief for a quick minute. It happened!! Like you've heard many times over! Millions suddenly disappear! Kids missing! Friends missing! Husbands and wives! There's worldwide chaos! People running to and fro, some screaming, others attempting to end their hurt. What do you do?

Do it hit you like a lightning bolt? It's true!! It's really true!! The rapture really took place!! What am I to do now? What happens next? Will I survive this? And if this is true, what else is true? Or are you stuck in your unbelief, that this is something else? Something that can be explained away by man? Some unseen force working behind the seen, but it's just not "God". It's something else that you can wrap your mind around.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 AM

6,595 posts, read 8,685,880 times
Quote:
Which question is it that you find funny ShepsMom? What's sad to me is that you can even equate the consuming Holy Spirit, to the consuming of beers. Which prompted me to ask: Which one takes precedence over your life? Trust me when I say, NO pun was intended at all.

You have participated thus far, why not go a "step" farther? As I've stated in the above, "step out of your box" of unbelief for a quick minute. It happened!! Like you've heard many times over! Millions suddenly disappear! Kids missing! Friends missing! Husbands and wives! There's worldwide chaos! People running to and fro, some screaming, others attempting to end their hurt. What do you do?

Do it hit you like a lightning bolt? It's true!! It's really true!! The rapture really took place!! What am I to do now? What happens next? Will I survive this? And if this is true, what else is true? Or are you stuck in your unbelief, that this is something else? Something that can be explained away by man? Some unseen force working behind the seen, but it's just not "God". It's something else that you can wrap your mind around.
Betsey,

I know you're having this conversation with ShepsMom but I just wanted to say something.

I can see what you're point is in asking what would happen if we woke up one day and chaos had broken out because so many people had disappeared. But, I'm having a hard time connecting the dots in why that couldn't be something else. To humor me. Why does the disappearance of a certain amount of people automatically imply not only supernaturalism but also the Christian God? To further humor me, why could it not be aliens?

Honestly, although my antennae may be raised in looking for an answer to why people disappeared, I can't honestly say that I would default my answer to the Christian God. Personally, and I mean this with all sincerity and no mockery, I actually find the idea of aliens with cloaking devices to be more realistic and a more probable explanation. Then again, perhaps I'm just a different breed of unbeliever.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Betsey,

I know you're having this conversation with ShepsMom but I just wanted to say something.

I can see what you're point is in asking what would happen if we woke up one day and chaos had broken out because so many people had disappeared. But, I'm having a hard time connecting the dots in why that couldn't be something else. To humor me. Why does the disappearance of a certain amount of people automatically imply not only supernaturalism but also the Christian God? To further humor me, why could it not be aliens?

Honestly, although my antennae may be raised in looking for an answer to why people disappeared, I can't honestly say that I would default my answer to the Christian God. Personally, and I mean this with all sincerity and no mockery, I actually find the idea of aliens with cloaking devices to be more realistic and a more probable explanation. Then again, perhaps I'm just a different breed of unbeliever.

Hi GCSTroop. Just step out of "your box" of unbelief for a moment. I'm not asking you to change your choice of belief here. What I am asking you to do here on this 'imaginary' thread, is to simply play along, that's all. At the end of the day, ( is'nt that so cliche?) You'll still believe whatever you believe. It's yours to keep. Okay?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 AM

6,595 posts, read 8,685,880 times
Quote:
Hi GCSTroop. Just step out of "your box" of unbelief for a moment. I'm not asking you to change your choice of belief here. What I am asking you to do here on this 'imaginary' thread, is to simply play along, that's all. At the end of the day, ( is'nt that so cliche?) You'll still believe whatever you believe. It's yours to keep. Okay?
I'm about to head off to bed but I'll pay attention to the thread if you'd like. By stepping out of the box are you asking me to assume that all of a sudden everyone disappears and through some form or fashion everyone left on Earth knows that it was specifically the Christian God that made everyone disappear? Or are you just asking me to picture everyone disappearing in some way that could be left to conjecture? Because the two are inherently different questions.

The former leaves no room for hypothesizing because we would know through some means how the disappearance happened.

Yet, my thoughts are more in line with the latter, that if everyone disappeared, we would not know what caused it and the conjecture of hypothesis, the explanation if you will, would still need to be answered. It would be at that point where I would say that I would find aliens with cloaking devices to be more realistic than a specific God dissipating people from the face of the planet.

So, I'm just asking you to clarify in which way you would like me to step outside the box.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm about to head off to bed but I'll pay attention to the thread if you'd like. By stepping out of the box are you asking me to assume that all of a sudden everyone disappears and through some form or fashion everyone left on Earth knows that it was specifically the Christian God that made everyone disappear? Or are you just asking me to picture everyone disappearing in some way that could be left to conjecture? Because the two are inherently different questions.

The former leaves no room for hypothesizing because we would know through some means how the disappearance happened.

Yet, my thoughts are more in line with the latter, that if everyone disappeared, we would not know what caused it and the conjecture of hypothesis, the explanation if you will, would still need to be answered. It would be at that point where I would say that I would find aliens with cloaking devices to be more realistic than a specific God dissipating people from the face of the planet.

So, I'm just asking you to clarify in which way you would like me to step outside the box.

CLARIFICATION: JESUS CAME FOR HIS CHILDREN! End of clarification.

IT HAPPENED!!

Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Which question is it that you find funny ShepsMom? What's sad to me is that you can even equate the consuming of the Holy Spirit, to the consuming of beers. Which prompted me to ask: Which one takes precedence over your life? Trust me when I say, NO pun was intended at all.
Where did i say that beer and Holy Spirit is the same? This is you assumption, because you believe and i don't, so you find it offensive. Well, sorry, you said it, not me.
At least beer is real. To me, anyway.

Quote:
I just don't see any of this as realistic event as you do. And as Troop stated, I would probably wonder what that might be, Alien invasion comes to mind. Is it easier to believe in Aliens than Gods? Are they all the same? I probably would be glad to stay put and not be "abducted" in case of such invasion. But then again, Christians can't figure out what Rapture is, are we staying? Are we taken?? C'mon, which one is it?
End-of-the-word scare tactics just don't work, period!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:19 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,946,513 times
Since this is a hypothetical thread, I don't think anyone who really believes the rapture is true should not get mad at someone who does not believe it will happen..Personally, and IMO only, I think much of the rapture doctrine is misinterpretation and false doctrine of man..I believe Jesus will appear on the LAST day.. At that event, we will all know that He exists..I believe that he will first call forth the believers from their rest in whatever grave they are in, then the ones alive will also meet him in the air..I don't believe that anyone will be zapped away in secret.. I think revelations has been fullfilled except for the second coming of Christ..That of course is just my opinion ,and I doubt anyone can change it

Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I believe Jesus will appear on the LAST day.. At that event, we will all know that He exists..I believe that he will first call forth the believers from their rest in whatever grave they are in, then the ones alive will also meet him in the air..I don't believe that anyone will be zapped away in secret..
Ok, but i don't understand why would he bother calling those that are dead? They going to meet in the air and taken where?? Aren't they in heaven already? Doesn't make sense.....

Old 11-28-2008, 05:10 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,946,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Ok, but i don't understand why would he bother calling those that are dead? They going to meet in the air and taken where?? Aren't they in heaven already? Doesn't make sense.....
I don't have any answers, Shep..All I have are my beliefs, based on my faith and some of the things written about God and His son in the 66 books that make up the bible..I really wish that ALL scripture was included and not just what men of that age thought was appropriate according to that day and time, and customs...In my feeble little mind, I wonder if one of the reasons God gives us his spirit (I believe it is within ALL of us) is to help us understand that we should trust him and not so much the bible, which is very important to me in many ways. It introduced me to His Son, and has comfort within the Psalms and Parables and the words in the 4 Gospels by Christ, but will never be more important than He who dwells in me...I am not a bible literalist, and I try to avoid any debating about interpretation of any scripture..I do not believe that God possesses the mind of a human, therefore I cannot and will not say what God meant or what he REALLY meant by a certain verseI think it is good to wonder about the future, but in order to convince an unbeliever you need to be able to prove it, which in all reality ....no one can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity