U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you Christians believe in Once Saved Always Saved?
Yes 23 41.07%
No 26 46.43%
Not sure 3 5.36%
don't care or don't believe in Christianity 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM

557 posts, read 1,598,650 times

Advertisements

How many on here believe in the once saved always saved doctrine?
I do because I don't believe salvation can be earned, it is a free gift and therefore works only matter in the rewards department. But what say you?

Why?

Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM

37,612 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
How many on here believe in the once saved always saved doctrine?
I do because I don't believe salvation can be earned, it is a free gift and therefore works only matter in the rewards department. But what say you?

Why?

Why not?
Hogwash. What value is an expressed belief if it doesn't change how you think, feel and act? Belief has value only as a motivator to BE LIKE Jesus . . . otherwise it is just empty words. There is no reward or punishment . . . just different outcomes that depend on what YOU have BECOME in your "heart-of-hearts."

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,339,438 times
I do because the Bible says one cannot lose their salvation. But I'm a little confused about the claim you can't lose your salvation because Revelation has a passage inferring ones name can be removed from the....Book of Life by saying, "....so their name will not be removed from the lambs book of life"--or something like that. . I'd like to hear more about that. However, I do believe in the sin unto death.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I do because the Bible says one cannot lose their salvation. But I'm a little confused about the claim you can't lose your salvation because Revelation has a passage inferring ones name can be removed from the....Book of Life by saying, "....so their name will not be removed from the lambs book of life"--or something like that. . I'd like to hear more about that. However, I do believe in the sin unto death.
Yes the Bible does have many scriptures that seem to contradict once saved always saved. That's why I'd like to see people defend both sides of the issue.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:09 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,377,660 times
this was discussed in depth here Once Saved, Always Saved? Reality or Fantasy? Check it out, it has some great debates on the subject.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM

5,137 posts, read 15,112,065 times
this should clear things up

You CANNOT LOSE your salvation but you can 'reject it'.

You can accept a free gift...but later on you can reject it.

By our actions we 'reject' eternal salvation even after we might've accepted it.

God gives us free will even after we are saved.

The gift is always yours if you accept it, but God will not force it if you reject it.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
this was discussed in depth here Once Saved, Always Saved? Reality or Fantasy? Check it out, it has some great debates on the subject.
Thanks, .

I'm still curious on the poll results though.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,259,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
this should clear things up

You CANNOT LOSE your salvation but you can 'reject it'.

You can accept a free gift...but later on you can reject it.

By our actions we 'reject' eternal salvation even after we might've accepted it.

God gives us free will even after we are saved.

The gift is always yours if you accept it, but God will not force it if you reject it.

I've always said that I don't believe anything...I mean nothing...can snatch you from the Father's hand......but you can jump out!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,038,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Thanks, .

I'm still curious on the poll results though.
Hi Lakeland Yankee: For me this entire issue stands or falls on what salvation is. If it is merely the forgiveness of sins and the simple imparting of a gift to us added to what we already have, then, yes, it can be lost or rejected or given back.

But is that what salvation is? I think not. That we even get to the point of considering these things is an indication that we do not know who we are in Christ. We have been made something we were not before--not through any works of our own, but completely through the regenerating work of Christ.

The change that takes place in the one born again from above is constitutionally revolutionary and includes a metamorphosis as profound and as irreversible as the foundational transformation of a caterpillar to a butterfly.

It is no accident that the salvation of a lost sinner through the magnificent work of God is referred to as a birth. As such, it is no less necessary to life and is no less intricate and irreversible than the physical. To undo the new birth by sinning the one sin too many or heinous or somehow rejecting God's gift of salvation would require the total undoing of all of God's mighty works in us. For example, redemption, regeneration, justification, propitiation, reconciliation, sanctification, election, sealing of the Holy Spirit, baptism into Christ, and the circumcision of the heart were all decreed and accomplished by God in order to bring about our salvation.

Redemption means to purchase. When has Christ, having bought us with His own precious blood and sacrifice, indicated that we, his sheep, are ever up for sale? And who could pay the price for surely He would demand a price greater than what He paid? How do we make ourselves unsealed by the Holy Spirit or unbaptized into Christ and how do we bring about the uncircumcision of our hearts? To undo the mighty, awesome, matchless works of God done in us that made of us a new creation fitted for His presence and again make us what we once were would require an act by God no less powerful than that which He accomplished in us in the first place!

We cannot physically return to our mother's wombs and be born again; the butterfly cannot of its own volition return to its cocoon and emerge again as a caterpillar; the child of God, the new creation brought about by the mighty works of God alone, cannot return to his former lost state! Ever!
And let me add this--no true child of God would ever want to!

Again, if those who believe they can in and of themselves through their own effort and volition remove themselves from the flock of God and undo the mighty works He has done in them to make of them that new creation that they are, they are considering themselves more powerful than God Himself! Let us remember who we are!

Preterist

Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 PM

11,918 posts, read 13,831,482 times
I believe that when we are saved we may fall, become unfaithful. If this happens we will not be presented holy and blameless, beyond reproach. (Col. 1:23) but we will still be reconciled to God. (Col. 1:20) Some will be assigned a place with the unbelievers, but Jesus gave Himself as a ransom for all mankind. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 11-26-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or