Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved down South and we now attend an "evangelical church" a few times per month. Our previous church was a protestant congregational church that was located in the center of our village and we attended it more for convienance and community involvement as opposed to a devote following of their teachings.

Prior to attending our new evangelical church, our view of evangelicalism was some hollywood type guy on TV preacing to 1000s of people and taking their money. I would never in a million years picture us going to an evangelical church but so far we like it. We really like the people we have met there and the pastors. So far their teachings have not rubbed me the wrong way or made me feel uncomfortable. We actually enjoy going to church which I never thought I would say.

So here's the dilema. My wife and I have very liberal views. We are both pro-choice (although I dont think we would personally chose to have an abortion), we are not opposed to gay marriage, etc.

So far nobody has addressed these issues in church but I fear if they do, we may not want to attend there. Is it possible to be a member of a church and only "pick and choose" what you agree and disagree with or do you have to blindly follow what is preached?

Hope this makes sense, we are both not really the religious types but I can see us getting more involved with the church and our faith in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Seek Him in whatever place you are, and you may find that He uses you there. Don't depend on the ministry to give you the life that only He can.

imo.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
My wife and I recently moved down South and we now attend an "evangelical church" a few times per month. Our previous church was a protestant congregational church that was located in the center of our village and we attended it more for convienance and community involvement as opposed to a devote following of their teachings.

Prior to attending our new evangelical church, our view of evangelicalism was some hollywood type guy on TV preacing to 1000s of people and taking their money. I would never in a million years picture us going to an evangelical church but so far we like it. We really like the people we have met there and the pastors. So far their teachings have not rubbed me the wrong way or made me feel uncomfortable. We actually enjoy going to church which I never thought I would say.

So here's the dilema. My wife and I have very liberal views. We are both pro-choice (although I dont think we would personally chose to have an abortion), we are not opposed to gay marriage, etc.

So far nobody has addressed these issues in church but I fear if they do, we may not want to attend there. Is it possible to be a member of a church and only "pick and choose" what you agree and disagree with or do you have to blindly follow what is preached?

Hope this makes sense, we are both not really the religious types but I can see us getting more involved with the church and our faith in the future.
Your second to last paragraph is the quintessential philosophy of protestantism. Don't look now but probably half the people at your new church don't buy half the things the preacher says. You should feel right at home. I am glad you both are happy.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:30 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
We are called to go to a good church that reflects the gospel in a right manner and not based on our social beliefs.

I would not worry though because many evangelical churches won't address those issues and even if they did, it would be a fleeting thing, just to show where the pastors stands. It won't be a huge sermon or anything. I would think you could stomach it.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:38 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Imo, the Lord will honor your presence anywhere you feel comfortable worshipping..I wouldn't worry much if your opinions on some things are different from a pastors, he is just as human as you are

Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,118 times
Thanks for all the great feedback!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:43 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Why not find a Church that is more understanding and open?

We don't need anymore of the hatred that the Evangelical Church has been showing lately.

You will more than likely not be accepted for your liberal views. They are extreme ring wing Republicans! You might be shunned or told to leave like some pastors have been doing for being liberal and/or voting Obama. Shame!

If I were you, I would go ahead and look for a Church that was not so hateful and more accepting.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why not find a Church that is more understanding and open?

We don't need anymore of the hatred that the Evangelical Church has been showing lately.

You will more than likely not be accepted for your liberal views. They are extreme ring wing Republicans! You might be shunned or told to leave like some pastors have been doing for being liberal and/or voting Obama. Shame!

If I were you, I would go ahead and look for a Church that was not so hateful and more accepting.
Good advice here. The only other option is to keep your views to yourself. Many Christians are moderate to liberal in their beliefs but are too afraid to openly admit to them. I'm not one of those, lol....I don't care what anyone thinks about me. Let them call me the devil or the anti-christ, I really don't care. The bible makes it perfectly clear not to judge fellow Christians or anyone else for that matter. You can tell a TRUE Christian by their fruits. Sometimes new (baby) Christians just do not know any better so we need to forgive them for their hate and bigotry. As they grow in faith they will become more tolerant of others. If they never grow than you know they were wolves in sheep's clothing (fake christians) and their tree will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Sometimes it is hard to find a liberal church that is Bible believing at the same time. I'd recommend the American Baptist (http://www.abc-usa.org/resources/10facts.pdf - broken link) church but it still would depend on the individual church. Some will be more conservative than others. Here is an ABC locator. Here is a link for other Liberal Christian Resources - Progressive Denominations.

Good Luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Good advice here. The only other option is to keep your views to yourself. Many Christians are moderate to liberal in their beliefs but are too afraid to openly admit to them. I'm not one of those, lol....I don't care what anyone thinks about me. Let them call me the devil or the anti-christ, I really don't care. The bible makes it perfectly clear not to judge fellow Christians or anyone else for that matter. You can tell a TRUE Christian by their fruits. Sometimes new (baby) Christians just do not know any better so we need to forgive them for their hate and bigotry. As they grow in faith they will become more tolerant of others. If they never grow than you know they were wolves in sheep's clothing (fake christians) and their tree will be cut down and thrown into the fire.

Sometimes it is hard to find a liberal church that is Bible believing at the same time. I'd recommend the American Baptist (http://www.abc-usa.org/resources/10facts.pdf - broken link) church but it still would depend on the individual church. Some will be more conservative than others. Here is an ABC locator. Here is a link for other Liberal Christian Resources - Progressive Denominations.

Good Luck.
Good call on the Am. Baptist Church. I attended one in the past, and it was socially liberal, but still did baptism through immersion, alter call (to get people saved) but not about fire and brimstone. I guess they're sort of evangelical, but they weren't into hands in the air, hands on healing, talking in tounges, etc. The pastor wore a robe and stole rather than suit, so it's kind of on the border between mainline Protestantism and Evangelicalism.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:

Hey, you could become a fellow papist.

However, you'd either have to keep your views to youself,
or refrain from communion.

Or you could try the Unitarians. I don't think they believe in anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity