Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is not meant to annoy or pick on you at all . . . but you just happened to trigger one of my pet peeves. How is it that one determines all these things that a supreme being or creator or God MUST have, be capable of, do . . . etc. etc. ? It is ALL human ego and demand isn't it really? Why should God have to be anything remotely like what it seems most believers and disbelievers INSIST on (like all the ridiculous "Omni's") . . . I am serious, BTW.
Aren't you yourself guilty of that as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is not meant to annoy or pick on you at all . . . but you just happened to trigger one of my pet peeves. How is it that one determines all these things that a supreme being or creator or God MUST have, be capable of, do . . . etc. etc. ? It is ALL human ego and demand isn't it really? Why should God have to be anything remotely like what it seems most believers and disbelievers INSIST on (like all the ridiculous "Omni's") . . . I am serious, BTW.
Just using basic God given logic. If there is a supreme being, that means he is supreme...over all. Then you have to go from there. If he is over all and supreme, he must have been here before we were, and before anything was. If he was not, then he must have been created.

I suppose you could say there was/is a supreme being that was created, the mormons do. But then you still have to go back to the beginning and ask the obvious question...who was the first supreme being and where did he come from?

Using the pronoun "he" generically of course.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Just using basic God given logic. If there is a supreme being, that means he is supreme...over all. Then you have to go from there. If he is over all and supreme, he must have been here before we were, and before anything was. If he was not, then he must have been created.

I suppose you could say there was/is a supreme being that was created, the mormons do. But then you still have to go back to the beginning and ask the obvious question...who was the first supreme being and where did he come from?

Using the pronoun "he" generically of course.
The Father is male, period.

I agree that everything falls into two and only two categories: Creator and created. (And I believe that He created all for His pleasure, Satan included.)

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I've been giving a lot of consideration to Christ's death on the cross on Good Friday. Did Christ truly die or was it a state of "clinical death"? I'm aware that there are many occasions when a person is declared dead only to "come back to life" at a funeral, autopsy, morgue, etc. Given the state of medicine in the the time of Christ some 2000 years ago, it is entirely possible and plausible that Christ was not "brain dead" when taken down from the cross, but in a state of "clinical death" where there is no "apparent" signs of life i.e., pulse, respiration, etc.

Of course, this would be heresy in the Christian religions, and were this the Middle Ages, I would be burned at the stake as a heretic. Fortunately, this is not the Middle and Dark Ages! So, if Christ was only "clinically dead" when He was removed from the cross, then it is entirely possible that He awoke in the grave at some point after the Crucification to discover that He had been prepared for burial. Persons visiting the grave could have detected life in the burial vault, rolled back the stone and carried Christ away to feed Him and dress His wounds and provide Him with clean clothing. This is only one person's opinion, but I do believe that it would correlate with the Bible's description of Christ's Crucifixion and rising from the dead.
I cannot imagine anyone surviving a spear thrust into the rib cage by a trained Roman soldier. Those spears were not dainty little things: they were big, and had sharp iron points designed to kill people.
Have a look at this picture, and then ask yourself if you'd survive having one of these stuck into your chest...

http://www.ancientresource.com/image...arhead001a.jpg

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 12-03-2008 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 12:15 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
What's done is done - He's seated at the right hand of the Father now, and worthy of our worship.
That He is alive now and have already tasted of death for us, is what's important. And that we accept and appreciate His taking our place so that we can have eternal life with Him.

God bless you little elmer!!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The Father is male, period.
This is not something about which I claim authority. God is certainly referred to as male. Father, pronoun "he", etc are commonly used. Jesus is God's son, not God's daughter.

However, God the Father is a spirit. He doesn't have a body. I would think he transcends gender entirely and is neither male nor female.

There is some indication that in heaven we may not have gender either. Matthew 22:30 is a case in point. This is off the OP so I apologize for that.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
Quote:
This is not something about which I claim authority. God is certainly referred to as male. Father, pronoun "he", etc are commonly used. Jesus is God's son, not God's daughter.

However, God the Father is a spirit. He doesn't have a body. I would think he transcends gender entirely and is neither male nor female.

There is some indication that in heaven we may not have gender either. Matthew 22:30 is a case in point. This is off the OP so I apologize for that.
That is true but "He" wrote the book and "He" has to be addressed as something. He wants to be addressed as "male" who am I to argue, dispute, repudiate. If He wanted to be called King Boss, then I shall call Him such.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That is true but "He" wrote the book and "He" has to be addressed as something. He wants to be addressed as "male" who am I to argue, dispute, repudiate. If He wanted to be called King Boss, then I shall call Him such.
I'll agree with you there.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
I've been giving a lot of consideration to Christ's death on the cross on Good Friday. Did Christ truly die or was it a state of "clinical death"? I'm aware that there are many occasions when a person is declared dead only to "come back to life" at a funeral, autopsy, morgue, etc. Given the state of medicine in the the time of Christ some 2000 years ago, it is entirely possible and plausible that Christ was not "brain dead" when taken down from the cross, but in a state of "clinical death" where there is no "apparent" signs of life i.e., pulse, respiration, etc.

Of course, this would be heresy in the Christian religions, and were this the Middle Ages, I would be burned at the stake as a heretic. Fortunately, this is not the Middle and Dark Ages! So, if Christ was only "clinically dead" when He was removed from the cross, then it is entirely possible that He awoke in the grave at some point after the Crucification to discover that He had been prepared for burial. Persons visiting the grave could have detected life in the burial vault, rolled back the stone and carried Christ away to feed Him and dress His wounds and provide Him with clean clothing. This is only one person's opinion, but I do believe that it would correlate with the Bible's description of Christ's Crucifixion and rising from the dead.
Well considering His heart was pierced and His back was shredded and the Romans were pretty efficient at killing and if there was any doubt they would have broken His legs to be sure He suffocated which in His state of injury would have been pretty guik.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Doesn't make sense to believe in a supreme being then, does it? A supreme being would need to have some creative purpose, some ability to hold things together, some reason for being. You can't prove a supreme being with scientific principles. You can come close with a combination of science and reason, but it still takes a final leap across the narrow chasm to the faith side.

Yet you at least intimated that you believe in god?! Do you really?

BTW...you have a hard time using science to explain the ultimate cause. You have to make a leap of faith across a wider chasm to say there is no God that created everything.
Sorry, but I don't make "leaps of faith". The closest that I come to a leap of faith is posting on this forum. You religious types break me up! You try to outdo each other with Bible quotes, "Creative theology", and having God bless me a countless number of times. Religion is the most destructive force on the face of the Earth! From early times until today, more people have been killed and maimed in the name of religion than all the civil wars combined from the time of recorded history to the present day. And I need to be instructed on the tenets of religion and theology? Me thinks not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity