U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:22 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,288,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Ok, so let's take it to the next level: Not only is He the Son, Jesus is also the Firstborn of many brethren (1 Cor 15:23) (and we will begat many ourselves, James 1:18), so there is not only 3 in 1, but billions in 1.
The mystical "Body" of Christ.

So...uh..what are you?

I think I'm..... maybe a fingernail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

777 posts, read 923,006 times
God is has many attributes.
One “part” of Him is loving and merciful, but He is also holy.

Man separated himself from fellowship, because of sin – making him unclean and unable to stand before a holy and righteous God.
Even our best efforts are not enough to stand in the presence of holiness.

In order to bridge that gap, God manifested Himself in the form of a man – a man who would not sin, but instead took the ultimate result of man’s separation upon Himself.

Essentially, He became His own Son.
God is not limited in His presence, and so He can be both the Father and the Son - and the Holy Spirit.

As Jesus, God limited Himself to human form, but with a single purpose to preach the good news and ultimately fulfill that good news.

Now Jesus stands continually as our mediator, so that the Father only sees the righteousness of the Son, when He looks toward us. (Heb 7:24,25)

The Holy Spirit is another manifestation of God. He is how the Father communicated to the Son.
Now that we are ceremonially clean by our faith in the sufficiency of what Jesus did and of His righteousness,
God is now able to dwell in us. (Rom 8:9)

He is now our comforter and teacher – leading us (as best we let Him) along the path of God’s will.
By allowing Him to lead us and reshape us, we develop the fruit of the Spirit - showing that we are sons of God. (Gal 5:22,23)(Rom 8:14)
He empowers us for ministry to the saints and to the lost. (1Cor 12:4,5)
The Holy Spirit keeps us from going to hell by default.
He is also that which raises us from the dead in the resurrection. (Rom 8:10,11)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him."

Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us."
Jesus said to him,
"Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip?
He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
"Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me?
The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.
"Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves.
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also;
and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.
"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;
that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive,
because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
"After a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because I live, you will live also.
"In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.

John 14:6-20

To the Israelites, YHWH was the unapproachable holy God on the mountaintop.
Jesus came as Immanuel – God with (among) us. (Mat 1:23)
The Holy Spirit is the hope of resurrection – Christ in us. (Col 1:27)

It is progressive intimacy.

The Comforter always points toward Jesus, and Jesus always points toward the Father.

So, there is one God, but three manifestations.

Richio

General disclaimer:
The views, opinions and interpretations above (or in any of my posts) are not meant represent any denomination, Christian group, or modern Christianity in general.
Any similarity to the views of any organization associated with or claiming a Christian label is purely coincidental.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 PM

6,950 posts, read 7,367,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richio View Post
general disclaimer:
the views, opinions and interpretations above (or in any of my posts) are not meant represent any denomination, christian group, or modern christianity in general.
any similarity to the views of any organization associated with or claiming a christian label is purely coincidental.
:d

Old 12-02-2008, 04:30 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,023,242 times
The Trinity is monotheistic.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM

11,653 posts, read 9,143,790 times
Jesus prayed to God the Father and He is the mediator between the Father and mankind. I believe that Jesus is theexact image, likeness, or representation of the invisible God, Amen? (Colossians1) But the invisible God, God the Father is absolute Deity. He gave all things to Jesus, the Son and He appointed Jesus, the Son. The Son was given all authority by the Father who is absolute Deity. The Son can do nothing without the Father, the source. The Son always points to the Father. The Son delivers all things to the Father, is subject to the Father and will be subject to the Father. He will reign until He puts all enemies under His feet.

1 Corinthians 8:
4Concerning the eating then of the things sacrificed to idols, we have known that an idol [is] nothing in the world, and that there is no other God except one;

5for even if there are those called gods, whether in heaven, whether upon earth -- as there are gods many and lords many -- 6yet to us [is] one God, the Father, of whom [are] the all things, and we to Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom [are] the all things, and we through Him;

John 5: 30 I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is righteous; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

God bless.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM

3,587 posts, read 3,703,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I was just wondering who believes in what...I went to an Apostolic church for a long time and they reject the trinity doctrine. Honestly, both make no sense to me.

Trinity= 3 in 1 or 1 in 3...whatever. So god has a split personality or something?

Monotheism= God is 1 and only 1....well what about Jesus? Did he pray to himself??? Is he the mediator between us and um....himself???

I'm curious to what type of church that you was in, because I attend a Apostolic Church and my Pastor teaches about the trinity. Yes there is only one God, manisfested in 3 distinct persons.

Know God does not have a split personality, you just don't understand God or the things of God obviously.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:17 PM

14,121 posts, read 10,116,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I was just wondering who believes in what...I went to an Apostolic church for a long time and they reject the trinity doctrine. Honestly, both make no sense to me.
You lost me. Both "what" make no sense to you? The Trinity and what else?

Quote:
Trinity= 3 in 1 or 1 in 3...whatever. So god has a split personality or something?
Makes no sense to me, either. That's why I don't believe it.

Quote:
Monotheism= God is 1 and only 1....well what about Jesus? Did he pray to himself??? Is he the mediator between us and um....himself???
So who do you personally think Jesus was? Do you believe He was the divine Son of a divine Father, or what?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 AM

4,247 posts, read 2,152,503 times
First of all there is nothing contradictory or illogical about 3 in 1 - the Trinity. It maybe difficult to understand but why should we expect to comphrehend with abosolute certainty the nature of God.

Second, no matter how you want to articulate this concept the Trinity does not teach that there are 3 gods.

So articulate it in a manner that does not violate the above two criteria and you're fine.

It is interesting that the Qur'an misrepresents the Trinty as there being three gods. Was Allah decieved or was he deicieving? The Qur'an could not even get this simple historical fact correct when it tried to explain the Trinity.

Anywho there are plenty of good aricles and Books on the numerous misunderstandings, whether philoshophical or theological, surrounding this concept.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 AM

14,121 posts, read 10,116,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Second, no matter how you want to articulate this concept the Trinity does not teach that there are 3 gods.
Yes, it actually bends over backwards to insist that there are not 3 gods. On the other hand, it is very clear in stating that there are three divine persons. Give me a synonoym for a divine person. It's "God." How on earth can you say it's logical to say that the Father is God and that the Son is God and that the Holy Ghost is God and then turn around and tell me that adds up to one God?

Old 03-11-2009, 12:59 PM

23,194 posts, read 11,421,093 times
The confusion is the result of trying to use a 2000 year old mindset to understand something that a 21st century mind would have no trouble understanding. God is everything that there is . . . the entirety of the universe. God's consciousness is the Holy Spirit . . . as our consciousness is our Spirit. Jesus was God's consciousness sent into the "womb of humanity" to join us and bring the Holy Spirit (God consciousness) to human consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity