U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM

10,258 posts, read 8,238,852 times
I agree, spm62. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM

800 posts, read 788,290 times
I don't remember the scriptures...but there is one that says that God knows us so well he even knows the number of hairs on our heads, also that if He remembers the smallest sparrow that has fallen, how much more will he remember us. So not only do we "sleep in death", but while we are asleep God remembers us. Why would he need to remember us if in an instant we are all in heaven or hell?

I agree, that zap of electricity people say must be the soul that goes somewhere is not our consciousness, it's the spirit- the breath of life- the life force that returns to God.

I was getting my hair done this weekend, and the woman in the next chair was talking about how she was explaining to her 3 year old "where baby Jesus is right now". She explained to her daughter that "one day we will all be in heaven with baby Jesus". Her three year old daughter said, "Momma, I don't want to go to heaven, I want to stay right here in my house!" Humans were made to live on earth. God made this earth perfectly for humans...the only problem now is Satan's influence, but God will take care of that

Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,865,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that they are asleep because they are dead. But they will one day be made alive. This is why it is described as sleep. Death is not a permanent condition. I believe that the spirit returns to God upon death, but I do not believe that it is a conscious existence. I do not believe that they are aware or alert.
I am not familiar with your belief that the spirit goes into an unaware state of existence upon death Shana. Is that concept taught in a specific Christian denomination?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 PM

HI CTR1dotOrg,

It is not from a specific denomination but there are many Christians who have this belief. Here is a reference:

FACTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES CONCERNING DEATH (http://www.gtft.org/Library/kirk/FactsFromTheScripturesConcerningDeath.htm - broken link)

God bless.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,980,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
HI CTR1dotOrg,

It is not from a specific denomination but there are many Christians who have this belief. Here is a reference:

FACTS FROM THE SCRIPTURES CONCERNING DEATH (http://www.gtft.org/Library/kirk/FactsFromTheScripturesConcerningDeath.htm - broken link)

God bless.
Excellent link shana..I`ve never seen it before..tried to rep you.......

Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,212,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Excellent link shana..I`ve never seen it before..tried to rep you.......
(Hebrews 9:27)

27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment

Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks, spm62. God bless.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(Hebrews 9:27)

27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment
That`s true..you only die once....

Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 PM

8,990 posts, read 8,212,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
That`s true..you only die once....
and straight to judgment, Do we go to sleep after?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
and straight to judgment, Do we go to sleep after?
sorry...my bible doesn`t say straight to judgment...but it does say in John 14:3
and if I go on and prepare for you a place, again do I come, and will receive you unto myself, that where I am ye also may be;

He has gone to prepare a place...he is COMING AGAIN to RECEIVE us. We are not going to him..he is coming back to get us...Praise God for the resurrection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity