Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
For what!? June isn't unique; it is The Industry and she is part of it.
Maybe I'm missing something here - but why are you guys so intent on downplaying the role of Psychologists?

There are many many Christian psychologists out there helping countless people live better more balanced lives and/or heal from sever traumatic experiences.

I guess you'll throw the entire staff at Focus On The Family under the bus including Dr Dobson, Dr. Bill Maier and Dr. Julianna Slattery too.

Like I said, there are good and bad in everything. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

I don't get it. Unless you are confusing psychologists with psychiatrist. Then I can almost make the case that the majority seem to be "dangerous" but then again, there are plenty who are good Doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here - but why are you guys so intent on downplaying the role of Psychologists?

There are many many Christian psychologists out there helping countless people live better more balanced lives and/or heal from sever traumatic experiences.

I guess you'll throw the entire staff at Focus On The Family under the bus including Dr Dobson, Dr. Bill Maier and Dr. Julianna Slattery too.

Like I said, there are good and bad in everything. Eat the meat and spit out the bones.

I don't get it. Unless you are confusing psychologists with psychiatrist. Then I can almost make the case that the majority seem to be "dangerous" but then again, there are plenty who are good Doctors.

sorry, i know..
wrong place, wrong time, wrong culture, no academic degree, no qualification - no money... so shut up, can't think what "we" know is good for you?

medicine activated within is charlatanry. thanks to the industry most of us support but cannot afford when in need. such has been termed progress - new world future can sustain?

do you see that?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Generalizing and name calling is totally uncalled for. Those same people could call you a religious wacko thats too ingrained in his Bible studies to think clearly enough to be open to other points of view.

But I wouldn't say that because its not polite
Your "civility" seems crooked.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Your "civility" seems crooked.

wow.
it seems... then appears... eventually manifests ...

Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:

It isn't all or nothing. Your attitude seems to be: don't talk about what's wrong. I think that attitude is enabling (for "bones").

Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Chef,

There's no place for jesting on this forum.

June knows that I repped her.... and that I was kidding about the hierarchy.

How dare we presume to know anything?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
It isn't all or nothing. Your attitude seems to be: don't talk about what's wrong. I think that attitude is enabling (for "bones").
Actually, I think that describes yours as it seems you can't acknowledge that there is/are good psychologists doing "good work" out there.

They are not all "evil".

If you would please note my post asking June about her stance on the downplaying of "faith" in said industry.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Lightbulb The Opening Post

Quote:
Actually, I think that describes yours as it seems you can't acknowledge that there is/are good psychologists doing "good work" out there.

They are not all "evil".

If you would please note my post asking June about her stance on the downplaying of "faith" in said industry.
You should re-read the opening post:

"Actual Christian "Psychology"
It seems like there's a huge con industry around counseling; "Christian counseling" included. However, it does seem like there is something real. I think The Seven Deadly Sins (I think, a popular tract from The Middle Ages) pretty much spells out what happens to us. Fear, shame and guilt stir up our pride and we become: gluttonous, slothful, lustful, wrathful, greedy and envious. So, what is an alcoholic? A glutton for booze. What is a sex addict? Lustful. What are they both full of? Pride. Eating disorders? Gluttony. Thief? Greed. Feminism? Envy. Have secular/pagan psychologists noticed this? Sure, but they are unhinged from God. So, they always end up idiots and pathetically weak.

How are we supposed to deal with our fear, shame and guilt? Christ is our Savior (that's the fear department). Shame, we wash in His Blood. Guilt, we put it on The Cross. Ultimately, when we turn to other things, we are lost."

Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM

evil wasn't mentioned yet, whether in or out of quotations.

what becomes clear without even having to be mentioned is who talks to whom and "interests" forming habits.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You should re-read the opening post:
Yes the one that ends with

"So, they always end up idiots and pathetically weak."

How insulting and rude. I would not call Dr. James Dobson "pathetically weak". More like strong and faithful.

Quote:
How are we supposed to deal with our fear, shame and guilt? Christ is our Savior (that's the fear department). Shame, we wash in His Blood. Guilt, we put it on The Cross. Ultimately, when we turn to other things, we are lost."
You have never been in a room with woman who has been raped repeatedly in her childhood have you? You've never been in a room with a person that did things you can't even begin to imagine like kill an entire family on a drug crazed rampage have you?

Have you ever sat next to and ministered to a guy who killed someone and the moment you put out your hands to pray with him he snaps his hands back, looks at the ground and shakes his head no quickly and nervously? You pull out a bible to show them forgiveness and they look like you have a .45 pointed at them? I can honestly tell you I have.

Even then it's: Are you saved? "yes" Are you forgiven "no"? Deal with that for a while and you'll start to get it.

I agree with those principles you outlined 100%, but there are many things that make people not able to understand the principles you just outlined. THEY CAN'T SEE IT. God has used counselors to help crack open the door on things that were otherwise shut out.

Why can't YOU see that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity