Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 07:48 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times

Advertisements

Gal. 5.19-21
19 " now the works of the flesh are evident, which are : adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissentions, heresies,
21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I told you beforehand, just as I also told you in the past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingtom of God."

One of the key words in this is "practice"..." those who practice such things".

Also an important thought is the " and such like". Although an ungodly activity is not mentioned in this list, if it comes under the "and such like", it applies.

The main one that concerns me is the "contentions". I do not think this is speaking of "contending for the faith". We are to " Earnestly contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints." Jude 3
Jude was writing this to " Those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ." Jude 1

( I like that "preserved in Jesus Christ" )

Jude goes on to say:
15 " Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judement on all who are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have commited in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
16 These are grumblers, complainers, walking according to their own lusts; and they mouth great swelling words, flattering people to gain advantage.
17 But you , beloved, remember the words which were spoken before by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ:
18 how they told you that there would be mockers in the last time who would walk according to their own ungodly lusts.
19 These are sensual persons, not having the Spirit.

Back to the word "contentions".

Phillippians1.15
" some indeed preach Christ even from envy and strife, and some also from goodwill:
16 The former preach Christ from selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing to add afffliction to my chains;
17 but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel;
18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice, yes, and will rejoice.

I believe I have been judged as being contenscious. Thank God, He knows why I am striving to get His word across...

I am happy that Christ is being preached. I am not happy that false teachings are abounding. Preaching Christ, includes teaching all of that which was given once for all to the saints....the " all things that pertain to life and godliness'.

I am posting this for edification...not only for all readers, but for myself also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM

71 posts, read 111,291 times
For edification only? Or is it for comment etc.?

Old 12-06-2008, 03:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesodano View Post
For edification only? Or is it for comment etc.?
Edification is good, but comments are okay also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity