Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

A LEADING Kirk minister has said conducting funerals for non-believers is a time-wasting burden on the church and that non-religious services should be provided by the state.

Rev Johnston McKay, BBC Scotland's former editor of religious broadcasting, said ministers were conducting more than 70 funerals a year and at many of them there was "no interest whatsoever" in the Christian faith.

Non-believers should not receive Christian funeral says minister - Scotland on Sunday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Wow! And if you have any doubts that we are truly living in the last days................think again!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM

717 posts, read 648,035 times
With all due respect to my ordained colleague; he's an idiot. Does he think for a moment that Jesus would have declined a service for a departed non-believer? Do he think that funerals are solely ABOUT the departed? A funeral is a mechanism by which all those who loved the departed (and even non-christians have those! Shocking ain't it?) can have closure, a time to remember and say goodbye. This brother of mine needs to learn compassion.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A LEADING Kirk minister has said conducting funerals for non-believers is a time-wasting burden on the church and that non-religious services should be provided by the state.

Rev Johnston McKay, BBC Scotland's former editor of religious broadcasting, said ministers were conducting more than 70 funerals a year and at many of them there was "no interest whatsoever" in the Christian faith.

Non-believers should not receive Christian funeral says minister - Scotland on Sunday

Isn't being proselytized to, the first thing on everyone's list of what is important, when they are grieving the loss of a loved one at a funeral?

It might be the right place for it, but the wrong time. I cannot stand those holy roller funerals where the preacher spends more time talking about god and je-sus, then about the dearly departed.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:58 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,246 times
Oops! Disregard please that last post. Did not realize it was in the Christianity section.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

Should I be able to expect a "mormon funeral" if I'm not a mormon? Or a "muslim funeral" if I'm not a muslim? Why would you expect a Christian funeral if you aren't a Christian?

Having said that, I did a funeral last month for a man that was not a Christian. I didn't say he was...nor did I say that he was in Heaven. I explained what Christ did on the cross for us--and that I hoped he understood that...but I did not suggest the man was in Heaven. But to suggest the church should not be there for unbelievers in their time of grief is extremely short-sighted.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Should I be able to expect a "mormon funeral" if I'm not a mormon? Or a "muslim funeral" if I'm not a muslim? Why would you expect a Christian funeral if you aren't a Christian?

Having said that, I did a funeral last month for a man that was not a Christian. I didn't say he was...nor did I say that he was in Heaven. I explained what Christ did on the cross for us--and that I hoped he understood that...but I did not suggest the man was in Heaven. But to suggest the church should not be there for unbelievers in their time of grief is extremely short-sighted.
I agree! Folks seem to take the position that it is unkind or unloving to NOT stand over a deceased person who rejected God and cursed Christ all their lives .... and talk about how they are now 'resting in heaven in the arms of God.' IMO, it's dishonest and also misleading to try to 'pray someone into heaven at their funeral.' It also sends a message that could further lead the family and friends of the deceased to believe that 'everyone automatically goes to heaven when they die, with or without Christ.'

I've conducted funerals for non-believers and can tell you that it's very difficult to preach a message of hope ... when there is no Biblical reason to believe that is the case. Instead, I will sometimes take the path of saying, "If John could be here today, here is what he would tell you: don't delay another minute in getting right with God!" ... etc.

I remember a story about a preacher who preached the funeral of the husband of a member of the church. The man had repeatedly promised to come to church 'when he got a few things straightened out,' but, passed-on before fulfilling his promise. At the funeral, the preacher said, "I can't tell you very much about old John, ... except that he was a man of his word. He said he would come to church when he got straightened-out and look (pointing at the coffin), here he is!"

Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:

I am an Atheist and I wish all religious people felt the same way.

Of course, since I do not believe in any kind of afterlife, I should not care if a religious leader mumbles a few words over my carcass, but I would feel better if the religious people would just leave me alone after I die.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Of course, since I do not believe in any kind of afterlife, I should not care if a religious leader mumbles a few words over my carcass, but I would feel better if the religious people would just leave me alone after I die.
Your family and friends will likely want to have someone say a few nice words about you.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

Based on your personal belief system, I think you can be fairly assured that you won't be feeling anything and that you will be quite alone so you have nothing to worry about.

But as to the original post, I think the fellow is being honest. I've seen preachers struggle with words to say over someone who were not Christian believers and without being harsh or sacrificing their own theology for the sake of a dead person or their survivors. It is a wasted effort. I can understand his frustration.

Reminds me of a joke. Brother of a deceased comes to a priest and tells him I'll make a huge donation to your church IF at my brother's funeral you call him a saint. The priest is burdened of course. The dead brother was a notorious person in the community and not a believer except in women and booze. The surviving brother, though, was known to be much, much worse. So, in the funeral, the priest went on about the dead brother's shortcomings, not lying to people who knew better but at the very last he said, "but compared to his (living) brother, the man was a saint.

Oh, and I concur in a less blunt sense that funerals which become evangelistic campaigns are annoying at best (to me) and in my experience have not helped much. I think it is more of a gimmick but also one you don't find in scripture unless I am mistaken. I might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity