Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,669,130 times

Advertisements

better to beat the kid into submission because if you don't you wont have control... guess its true i'm not spoiled but sadly i fear my mother even as an adult
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,889,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No - it's a physical stick of some sort.

I did spank my kids although I made sure they knew when I would do it. In other words, I wanted them to know when it was coming, and what behavior warranted a spanking. Extreme disobedience to me or my wife, lying to hide a transgression, and there was one other thing - those things received the rod.

I didn't spank for mistakes if they confessed them - even if it made me mad. I probably was to strict with my oldest and overdid it a bit - backed off with my younger two kids, but they got it when it was warranted. I never had to spank in public, because they knew "the rod" was waiting for them if they got out of hand.

My wife did not believe in spanking at first - which can be a problem if the kids use her to hide from discipline. Thankfully, she got with the program, and I ended up backing off a bit so it worked out. It is good to have both parents on the same page with regards to disciplining the kids.

Not a scholar - but the word is "hayah" (pronounced haw-yaw) - and it's never really used as a name for God in the Bible. Even the green underlined "God" is translated "elohiym". Sort of like in Revelation 1 where Jesus says He is the alpha and omega - we don't attribute "alpha" and "omega" as names for Jesus.
I see what you are saying, but I was just going along with what He said of Himself...God is just a title not His Name...

Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,370,863 times
Quote:
What does it mean to SPARE THE ROD and SPOIL THE CHILD?
It means good Christians beat their Children with a Rod! Remember good Christians, the less you spare the rod, the more spoiled they become! WAAHAHAHAHA!

...Nah, I thought the OP and a few others did a good job of explaining it already.The Hebrew word for rod in this proverb describes a scepter or staff of Authority (as in Genesis 49:10) as well so it may well be referring to sparing the child of your authority and discipline rather than a particular type of punishment. I thought this explanation was decent too: Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

45,313 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I see what you are saying, but I was just going along with what He said of Himself...God is just a title not His Name...
Interesting thought - does God have a name? He has titles and descriptions ascribed to Him throughout the Bible. When I tell my kids, "I am the head of this family", that how I describe myself and it's not my name, but my name was given to me by someone else.

From whom does God the Father get His name? And what is it?

The best I can come up with is how Christ refers to Him directly in John 17 - which is "pater", which means father.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,397,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You are wrong....
How is he wrong if even the Jews revered the God's Holy Name not to pronounce it? I don't think we should go around and call God Jehovah like he's some average father. Isn't HE our Supreme Father/Creator of the universe?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:46 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,225,499 times
It means to whip dat ass .

Old 08-18-2013, 10:49 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
It means that if you don't beat your child with a stick he will grow up an anti-social, immoral, devil worshiping atheist on the path to hell fire. Now you don't want that for your child do you? Then beat-em when they go astray - this is how your love for them is manifest. Thus sayeth YHWH

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 08-18-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 10:51 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,225,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
How is he wrong if even the Jews revered the God's Holy Name not to pronounce it? I don't think we should go around and call God Jehovah like he's some average father. Isn't HE our Supreme Father/Creator of the universe?
Well likely that is a modern interpretation. Since the name YHWH is used in the bible along with elohim, it means that it was common at that time to refer to God by those names.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 735 times
I was spanked as a child. My younger sister was not. Being the middle child I got the brunt of the punishment doled out by my mother and father. I am a good person, I respect others, I have never been in trouble with anyone but my parents and I am thankful that they disciplined me by this means. My sister now an adult is so disrespectful to others, doesn't care about others feelings and has often been in trouble and if she were caught would probably be in jail many times over! I am a mother of a preteen, an 8 yo and a 6 yo. Unfortunately it took years of me trying to convince my husband that we must be consistent and parent together. I have been reading the bible and articles online to him that backs up everything I have been saying. There is a whole lot of yelling going on at my house because of frustrations! I think that if you are disciplining your child and it works then don't fix it. I feel like children need to know their boundaries and what will and will not be put up with. It gives them structure and safety later on in life to be a good person. You can usually tell if a child is abused by either physical punishment, or neglect. They are the first child noticed in a class of students. As parents it is our job to discipline our children. I think it should relay that you love them and even if they don't like you now I promise down the road you will be thanked for caring enough to correct bad behavior. I just wish my parents would have been consistent with my younger adult sister because I can hardly stand her and the abuse she doles out to others! Thank you for writing this blog and giving me a place to talk about how I feel because I can't tell my parents what they achieved with my older sister and I and then tell them how they failed everyone around my younger sister by not disciplining Her. It would sound disrespectful and even if she makes me hurt I wouldn't put that on my mom and dads shoulders because she has been over 18 for a while now and the real world should have taught her or one day she will be taught the lesson from a firmer hand *****.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Default What does it mean to SPARE THE ROD and SPOIL THE CHILD?

Short answer: It is idiom for "fail to discipline and reap a brat." It has nothing to do with physical punishment. Loving correction and rule-setting while they are young is how you help them develop spiritually to maturity. It is NEVER correct to make them feel they are worthless or bad over any failing. That is what makes the apostate "original sin" and "filthy rags" view of mainstream Christianity so dangerous and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity