Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
She, hence the name Betsey. Seeming and knowing are two different things.

My children fear the Lord. Seek ye first the kingdom God, and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

Yes, even obedient children.
that particular post had to do with you highlighting how often and where you spank your children. It was in response to the other poster who said "if you have to do it over and over again you aren't doing it right"

I simply posted that you indicated you do it everywhere (thus over and over again). Same as me actually. Its a constant correction. However we do it over and over again.. and never have to hit the child.

Two ways to look at it. You choose the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
" sadistic, barbaric behavior "

And this is your interpretation of the inspired scriptures ?????
And you claim to have the Holy Spirit!!!
Your quote is from my post.I did not say a word about my interpretation of scripture..I do not go to the scriptures for each and every daily decision I make to see if "Its in there"..And dear Marian, I could really care less if you think I have the Holy Spirit or not..God knows my heart, not you I continue to pray for you and the folks I love from my former congregations who mostly all have the same attitude as you..That only you and they have the Keys to Heaven...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-15-2008 at 07:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Pr 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Pr 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

I read this with a sort of understanding, and I understood why my parents spanked me when needed, which in my case was pretty dang often, as i was a child who was rebellious, to say the least. They say teach a child to hit, then the child hits. God i am thankful for that. Without knowing the limits of how I was spanked, child abuse could easily happen.

Both my sons got spankings when they done wrong. Although they both received mercy on some occasions when they KNEW that a spanking was in order, never the less the discipline was there. They did "fear" me, and the wrath that daddy could impose at any moment that they "sinned" against each other, my wife or I, or society. When my first son was born, a simple no was sufficient. As the only child, it was easy. When my other son was born, then it was more of a contest to see who could get each other in trouble, and how far they could go without some punishment. Testing so to speak. This spanking discipline gradually diminished as they grew older, and my children were ALWAYS regarded as the best kids in public. Parents always asked my what my "secret" was, and I told them. Right and wrong are so far the extreme opposites, that the extreme opposites must be used. Reward the good behavior, punish the bad.

I had CPS called on me once. It was reported by my sister in law that we were holding satanic rituals in my house. We weren't, but my brother and her were in a bitter divorce, so she decided that "our" perfect life, needed some adjustment. When they arrived at my house, I laughed at them. But they still interviewed both my kids, who were WELL MANNERED, and even when the CPS officer asked them if they were spanked, and they said yes, he applauded our method of punishment.

Many many years later, I had a daughter. She has only had one spanking in 8 years. Why? She didn't "check in" with me on the hour, and stayed outside with her friends past dark. Having a new born also in the house, I was worried, but at the same time, mad, for her not respecting my rule for HER SAFETY. Daddy's girl had fallen, and it was painful. First time in 8 years, but she realized, by the sore butt, that daddy meant business.

I would never tell others how too raise their children, but I have seen the "time-out" Dr Spock generation, and the small town religious mentality of raising children by the "rod", and they are night and day on how the child behaves. Also remember that although YOUR child might be a decent child who might not regard the "rod" as a means of a just punishment, but what happens when THEY have kids who are unruly to hell? Since they know of no "rod" punishments, then the Dr Spock method will look like the "nanny kids" on steroids.

Pr 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Pr 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

This isn't some barbaric method. It is God's method, prescribed by the wisest of men.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
My children fear the Lord. . . .
How awful . . . hardly the way to have them come to Jesus with real love in their hearts . . . fear overpowers it. You should be teaching them to love, not fear . . . so they will not want to fail out of love. God wants us to avoid failure because there are negative consequences to failure . . . not because God will punish us for failure.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Sorry.. I don't prescribe to the sect of Christianity that states "If you don't hit your kid.. your kid will go to hell"

That has to be the most bass ackwards way to look at things.

Me: "dear sweet daughter.. come her so that I may correct you by beating you so you won't die.."

Her: "dada.. screaming no no no.."

Me: "hush child.. this is so you won't go to hell"

Sorry.. I don't accept. Just as those who use the bible to fit THEIR ways pick and choose what they don't want to accept (say for instance proberbs 23-2)

or proverbs 20:20

God gave you a brain... use it.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM

14,873 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:
Ugh.

Some spank. Some don't. And the world goes on.
Right God bless. Either way can be effective if it is done right with the purpose of disciplining in love, imo. God bless.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
Default To teach/as in "disciple"

Disclipine:

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French & Latin; Old French, from Latin </I>disciplina teaching, learning, from </I>discipulus pupil</I>

It means to teach not to hit. Some choose to hit, others not. You can correct a child without ever laying a hand on him/her.

My son would probably loved to be spanked, (as he's a Black Belt in karate and used to sparring with other children), over having no social interaction, Legos, video games, and being confined to his room for a week. With a spanking it's over and done with. Our consquences for negative actions last a lot longer than a swat on the butt.

My husband never raises his voice when he's mad, he lowers it! He's 6'0, 200 lb former Marine that's fought in Iraq . You don't want him mad at you!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:58 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I think it means to teach our children and to discipline them in the process.

Okay usually I stay out of these threads, but I feel very called to say something here. I have spent my entire life working with and studying kids. I have been a teacher and I have worked for the Department of Children's Services as a case manager. I have also volunteered at a teen center for abused and neglected children and a children's home. You have hit a nerve with me on this topic.

Both sides of this argument can be correct. Just because you chose to spank your child does not make you barbaric and just because I choose not to does not make me a new age hippie. Both sides of the argument have important lessons...BUT that is only when they are done in a correct and loving way. I have seen parents who were abusive with their words, I have seen people who are abusive with their belts......and I HAVE seen and worked with the children who were affected by this. I do not take this topic lightly at all. We all want our children to grow in love and to respect our fellow man. I have seen people who started spanking in love that on one occasion "lost it" and changed their child's life forever. It effected not only the entire family but everyone who met that precious little one. It will haunt me the rest of my life. I have seen parents who choose to find other means of discipline that give up and little Johnny ends up getting everything he wants and well becoming the child we all fear to have. Dicipline is hard. Listen we all are supposed to be Christians and respecting and loving each other, correct? Why do we have to tear each other down? We are all trying to figure out this life the best we can, the least we can do is love and help lift one another up.

I personally choose not to spank. And although some argue that "If you hit your child, you teach them to hit" is not true...well I very much disagree over the years of watching all different kids in all different situations. We are trying to teach our child to be respectful, to honor us as parents, and to love as the Lord has called us too. If you think I am a new age hippie, I am greatly offended my friends, as I want the same thing you want for your child. I want a child who is loving, respects authority, and loves God.

Last edited by little_thirsty; 12-16-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Well, at least I can plead old age...what is your excuse?

"Its only ignorant because you made it so by assuming something that wasn't said. So the ignorance.. actually is with you"

Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Your quote is from my post.I did not say a word about my interpretation of scripture..I do not go to the scriptures for each and every daily decision I make to see if "Its in there"..And dear Marian, I could really care less if you think I have the Holy Spirit or not..God knows my heart, not you I continue to pray for you and the folks I love from my former congregations who mostly all have the same attitude as you..That only you and they have the Keys to Heaven...

No Blue, we believe that only the word of God has the "Keys to Heaven ".
I do go to the scriptures for all my teachings. I have no Godly wisdom apart from the word!

You are so right, God knows your heart, and He knows mine. I do not think He is going to condemn me for loving His word!

I do not know what you are praying about,( for those who are obeying His word), but I appreciate your effort. I am praying for you also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity