Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times

Advertisements

Interesting article, written by an atheist:

Secularizing Christmas Holidays: How Christians Have Undermined & Secularized Christmas

My favorite part:

Taking the Mass out of Christmas:

Conservative evangelical Christians complain about people taking the "Christ" out of Christmas, but they seem to forget that they have already taken the "Mass" out of Christmas (Mass being a service including Holy Communion). When was the last time a prominent figure on the Christian Right has argued that Americans should remember to attend Mass on this Holy Day? I've never seen it and I don't expect to ever do so. This is just one of many masses that have been excised from the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
I'm a Christian, and I don't celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. For me, it's a time of family gathering, gift giving, eating, and expressing love for one another.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,998,362 times
This is hilarious. The Christ/Christian despisers go into all kinds of hate frenzies, lawsuits and all kinds of other protests over anything to do with any public display of Christmas, yet, they have the gall to write stuff like this. What do they really care? They don't. They just want to show Christians how imperfect they are. Well guess what, no one knows that better than we, ourselves. If they (the haters) would ever bother to go to church themselves, they'd know that and it would save them all these public displays of false concern.

Last edited by Whyte Byrd; 12-16-2008 at 11:17 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 12:01 AM

140 posts, read 459,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm a Christian, and I don't celebrate Christmas as a Christian holiday. For me, it's a time of family gathering, gift giving, eating, and expressing love for one another.
Really? Do you mind if I ask why? Not looking for an argument, I just don't think I have ever heard a person say they were a Christian but not say that Christmas was a celebration of Christ's birth-- not that many Christians don't make that statement with their actions. I celebrate in all the ways you listed, yet I am celebrating Jesus' birth.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,498,990 times
I am also a Christian who does not celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ..I honor (celebrate) the birth, death amd resurrection of Christ several times a day..all year But I am so thankful that millions of people do celebrate Him once a year

Old 12-17-2008, 09:07 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
Really? Do you mind if I ask why? Not looking for an argument, I just don't think I have ever heard a person say they were a Christian but not say that Christmas was a celebration of Christ's birth-- not that many Christians don't make that statement with their actions. I celebrate in all the ways you listed, yet I am celebrating Jesus' birth.
Of course I don't mind! No where in the bible are we told to remember His birth, and man made up the date to celebrate it. It's all a man made thing. We are told to remember His death, however. Not that I mind everyone taking the time to remember Christ at Christmas!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Of course I don't mind! No where in the bible are we told to remember His birth, and man made up the date to celebrate it. It's all a man made thing. We are told to remember His death, however. Not that I mind everyone taking the time to remember Christ at Christmas!

AMEN!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
I don't really view it so much as a Christian holiday since Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th, and it's basically a Pagan holiday of lights during the darkest days of winter. I think that's great to have all the lights and Christmas tree during these cold, dark days, but it's my understanding that this Pagan celebration was sort of "hi-jacked" by Christianity to try and turn it into something that it's not.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,576,861 times
Christmas never was a Christian holiday...so taking religion out of it seems only right to me. I just started a topic on that very subject.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I often think that sme people speak too much what god thinks of everything.They tend to think their personal views are shared by God. I am certian when God sees people doing so many good things for their fellowman on Christmas he is pleased. Otherwise ;I will let him speak to individauls himself. Most will not listen;but I certianly am not about to say I can take his place. Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity