Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think it's very sad that the birth of our Savior does not remind you of God's love
Christmas is not supposed to be about trees, lights and shopping, but Jesus. If this is all Christmas is to people no wonder they don't like it. Everyday we should show our appreciation and love to God, not just December 25.
Oh, don't get me wrong. The birth of our savior DOES remind me of God's love. December 25th, Christmas day, does not. Since the customs associated with Christmas came before the advent of Christ-Mass, it is very difficult for me to think of Christ when I see them. What does Santa have to do with Christ? Or as my little son asked me last year:

'Why do people give each other gifts if it is supposed to be Jesus' birthday'?

'Out of the mouths of babes...'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
It does not. But the bible is not the only book we have that explains the activities of the early Christians. We use the bible as our principal guide...and supplement it with research when questions arise.
What are your sources? Please provider them!!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:59 PM
juj

Quote:
Because they are symbols of those acts...and I believe God still views them as such. After all, the scriptures cited show that he 'does not change'.

THis quote is from a book called 'The Road to Civilization'

In an effort to gain pagan converts the Roman Catholic clergy in the fourth century after Christ took in this pagan Saturnalia on December 25 and sponsored it as the “mass of Christ” or “Christ-mass.” The feast of Saturn, the Saturnalia, was a winter festival which lasted a week beginning on the twenty-fifth day of December, and was celebrated with dancing, the exchanging of gifts, and the burning of candles. The Saturnalia was later taken over by the Christians as their Christmas, and given a new significance.”

Who gave these people the right to 'give it a new significance'? If God did, then when? When did he state in the bible that we could change pagan celebrations to our liking? The only thing I have to go on is the aforementioned reaction he had when the nation of Israel did that very thing. And he wasnt happy.
Jesus gave the Roman Catholic Church the right. Read Matthew 16:13-19.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Jesus gave the Roman Catholic Church the right. Read Matthew 16:13-19.

I don't see anything about the Roman Catholic church in the verses or the permission to adapt the practices of Saturnalia to Christianity??? If the Catholic Church feels that those verses give them those liberties, they have taken that permission and run with it! heh heh

Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
What are your sources? Please provider them!!
Curiosities of Popular Customs
McClintock and Strong's Cyclopoedia
The Encyclopedia Britannica
A History of the Christian Church

Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,162 times
Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. The birth of our savior DOES remind me of God's love. December 25th, Christmas day, does not. Since the customs associated with Christmas came before the advent of Christ-Mass, it is very difficult for me to think of Christ when I see them. What does Santa have to do with Christ? Or as my little son asked me last year:

'Why do people give each other gifts if it is supposed to be Jesus' birthday'?

'Out of the mouths of babes...'
In many ways Christians took over pagan holidays and dedicated them to the rememberance of Christ. Look at Paul when he preached to the Romans in the most holy hall where they had all the statues of their gods. He picked one that said to the unknown god and declared this on to be the one true God and the rest to be lesser gods. Sant Clause is supposed to be a modern representation of Saint Nicholis who lowered baskets of candy down chimneys for children. The idea of giving gifts to one another goes along with Christ saying "whatever you do for one of these you do for me" speaking of the homeless and disenfrachised. It also goes along with the idea of showing love "it is better to give than recieve". It is a process of teaching charity for all which has been lost in this greedy world of "you dont love me because you gave me a crappy gift."

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
In many ways Christians took over pagan holidays and dedicated them to the rememberance of Christ. Look at Paul when he preached to the Romans in the most holy hall where they had all the statues of their gods. He picked one that said to the unknown god and declared this on to be the one true God and the rest to be lesser gods. Sant Clause is supposed to be a modern representation of Saint Nicholis who lowered baskets of candy down chimneys for children. The idea of giving gifts to one another goes along with Christ saying "whatever you do for one of these you do for me" speaking of the homeless and disenfrachised. It also goes along with the idea of showing love "it is better to give than recieve". It is a process of teaching charity for all which has been lost in this greedy world of "you dont love me because you gave me a crappy gift."
Thanks for your comments.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Those comments on Paul are excellent! Actually, that whole post is great!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 PM
juj

Quote:
I don't see anything about the Roman Catholic church in the verses or the permission to adapt the practices of Saturnalia to Christianity??? If the Catholic Church feels that those verses give them those liberties, they have taken that permission and run with it! heh heh
Matthew 16:19 - And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus gave the keys (authority) of heaven to Peter to permit and forbid. (loose and bind). It's pretty plain. But this is exactly why Sola Scriptura doesn't work. Because everyone's got an opinion.

It says nothing about Saturnia. The Bible also says in the last paragraph of John that not everything JESUS said or did was in the Bible. What the above verse does explain is that the Catholic Church was given the power of the authority with the power of the Holy Spirit and that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Thus any subsequent action would be with the help of the Holy Spirit and implemented by the AUTHORITY of Jesus's Church.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
What do Jehovah's Witnesses call the days of the week? Because they are all 'rooted in false worship too'

Encyclopedia Mythica: Origin of the names of the days
...Ha!...popcorn anybody?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity