Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Advertisements

Mother Nature, or Father God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to not smell the industrialization of human beings for one day? I have experienced this before, deep in the woods of Kentucky where little human activity resides. It is a truly beautiful smell, the smell of nature. It was awe inspiring. I don't think God ever meant for human beings to become this out of control. We are destroying our Earth.
Though I do not like the cold there is something I enjoy about just being outside in the woods. Especially on a summer night. I sometimes feel that the march to progress is too careless and that we may not be aware of what we are trading for the next big thing.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Mother Nature, or Father God?
I think Mother Nature is just a symbol, nothing more. Doesn't depict anything divine.

I will have to say as far as global warming is concerned, there is too many holes guys. So much science debunks the claims of these global warming scientists. In many ways, I believe it is a money making scheme. I am not saying it is wrong, I am just not saying I am fully on board.

It is the principle behind the movement that I respect. To help out our planet.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to not smell the industrialization of human beings for one day? I have experienced this before, deep in the woods of Kentucky where little human activity resides. It is a truly beautiful smell, the smell of nature. It was awe inspiring. I don't think God ever meant for human beings to become this out of control. We are destroying our Earth.
Yes God had no clue

Old 12-17-2008, 09:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
I think Mother Nature is just a symbol, nothing more. Doesn't depict anything divine.

I will have to say as far as global warming is concerned, there is too many holes guys. So much science debunks the claims of these global warming scientists. In many ways, I believe it is a money making scheme. I am not saying it is wrong, I am just not saying I am fully on board.

It is the principle behind the movement that I respect. To help out our planet.
Do you really believe that? The evidence is mounting fast.

New studies being released this week indicate that climate change is exerting massive and worrying change on the Arctic region—reducing the volume of ice, releasing methane gas into the atmosphere, and dramatically raising air temperatures in some parts of the Arctic.

Arctic Ice Melting at Alarming Pace as Temperatures Rise - US News and World Report

Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
My $0.02 ...

God made mankind steward of the planet and we've not done that well. That I concede.

Scientists cannot agree on how warm we've already gotten from an unagreed upon 'normal' or how much warmer it's supposed to get from this supposed 'normal'.

Scientists cannot agree on how much is due to human development and how much is natural cycling. Some inflate the impact mankind is supposedly having.

I'm all for being a responsible steward of what God originally entrusted to us and yes developing resources and land intelligently... but there is such a thing as 'going overboard'. Some in the scientific community are doing just that by trying to turn it into a 'panic' and force their agenda upon everyone .. no matter the cost. Some go so far as to put "Mother Nature/Earth", the created, above the importance of the Creator. There needs to be balance between environment and development.

Does anyone think developing countries like India or China are worrying about global warming? Nope.. they're not regulating anything and many, many foreign companies relocated there to take advantage of the low cost of business due to lack of environmental regulation. So, if we adopt the very extreme measures being banted about, we'll only be further crippling ourselves and they'll continue to grow.. all the while undoing everything we'll have adopted in an attempt to "fix" the "crisis".

In the end, God is in control. Yes, there may be a sliver of truth to global warming, but to what extent we caused it or can "reverse" it is unknown or disagreed upon by those in the know. Who knows... it may play into all the prophecy of destruction/judgement by fire (the first time was by water {aka Noah's Flood}).

Old 12-17-2008, 09:29 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Isn't the theory that melting arctic ice will disrupt one of the currents in the Atlantic Ocean, bringing about a global cool down? The increase in fresh water will halt the conveyor belt that brings heat around the globe.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Isn't the theory that melting arctic ice will disrupt one of the currents in the Atlantic Ocean, bringing about a global cool down? The increase in fresh water will halt the conveyor belt that brings heat around the globe.
Yes that is one theory, that similar conditions caused the last ice age. I think the evidence of climate change is pretty clear, but I'm not convinced that man's activities play more than a minor part of it. I think more likely it is part of a natural cycle that earth has gone through several times.

According to a revision article published in Science, ocean circulation during the last ice age was very different to present day circulation. The formation of deep water currents in the North Atlantic was much weaker and the flow of warm water from the Gulf Stream decreased. This led to a cooling of the northern hemisphere and contributed to the formation of the great ice caps which covered North America, Scandinavia and Europe.
In a similar study, the marine sediments of the North Atlantic were observed in order to document the sequence of events that led to that disturbance. The melting caused a significant decrease in the Gulf Stream, which transports warm water from the Gulf of Mexico to the North. This submerged the region of the North Atlantic into a period of glacial cold which lasted at least 1,200 years.

Greenland ice cap Melting consequences for climatic change

Old 12-18-2008, 02:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Snow in Las vegas

reviewjournal.com -- Slideshow
The ongoing snowstorm has stopped flights from landing or leaving at McCarran International Airport, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
"No planes are departing for Las Vegas from anywhere in the U.S. right now," said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor.

Gregor said the airport doesn't have snow removal or deicing equipment, which means there's no way for snow-covered planes to leave safely.

"The forecast is not looking particularly promising for anybody who wants to fly into Las Vegas," he said.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
this is quite long, but it is compelling...

Garage TV - video filmpjes - The Great Global Warming Swindle - Documentary Film - kyoto,swindel,global,warming,co2,greenhouse,broeik aseffect,verkiezingen,klimaat,opwarming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity