Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:

"At first I would listen and would just think to myself, "Oh you got to be kidding me right?"
But then later on it went in my mind from just being a bit silly, to being a bit arrogant.
Oh its a quiet arrogance to be sure, but it's seems always there underneath all I was listening to.

In the end, I just felt that the COC and me were a bad fit."

Unquote

And where did those 'feelings' come from?? God? Satan ? self?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
And where did those 'feelings' come from?? God? Satan ?
Now if you could only do the "Church Lady" voice like Dana Carvey when you ask that...it would be so much more funny...

"Isn't that special..."

Last edited by alanMolstad; 05-25-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Like I said here before, the name on the door of a COC is meaningless as it does not really tell you what you may find taught inside.
This is due to the loose nature of the way each COC is set up in connection to it's sister churches.

I went to COC Bellevue and the teachings I heard there have nothing to do with the type of teachings I have seen on YouTube at the Obama COC.

Never once did I hear anyone damning America where I went to, and yet at the Obama church it seems to be normal there?

(I mean I went to the COC Bellevue for a long time, but I would be up and out the door at the Obama COC within a few seconds!...LOL)

So the name is not much help in knowing if the church is a good Christian church, or is more of a Cult.

Its the same with the names of people.
Some of the most Christ-like people I have met had strange names to my ear.
But then I have known people that were actully named "Jesus" (you cant get more Christian than that)
and yet they did drugs all the time...

So we are left with the old saying that "You cant judge a book by its cover"
so true...so true...

Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Now if you could only do the "Church Lady" voice like Dana Carvey when you ask that...it would be so much more funny...

"Isn't that special..."

Why did you delete the "self" in my questions????

Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Why did you delete the "self" in my questions????
because the Church Lady ended her questions with with "Satan?"...

Old 05-25-2009, 10:28 AM

Exactly what is the "Obama COC" ???? Could it be a Universal C of C ? If so, it is in no way connected to the churches of Christ.
I believe this has been pointed out time and again.

It seems some only hear what is coming from their own thoughts????

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

"Exactly what is the "Obama COC"

Oh Im sure that one COC and another have two totally different points of teachings on a vast number of issues.
That is one of the important things you have to keep in mind if you have friends or family starting to get mixed up with the COC.
The name on the door is not enough to tell you what they may or may not believe.
Each COC is free to have some mighty different teachings.

it's not like what you find in the catholic church where the core teachings are inforced from the top down...
There really is no "top" in the COC to inforce down on. Or none that I was made known of..(There could have been but I was just never told of it)

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
"Exactly what is the "Obama COC"

Oh Im sure that one COC and another have two totally different points of teachings on a vast number of issues.
That is one of the important things you have to keep in mind if you have friends or family starting to get mixed up with the COC.
The name on the door is not enough to tell you what they may or may not believe.
Each COC is free to have some mighty different teachings.

it's not like what you find in the catholic church where the core teachings are inforced from the top down...
There really is no "top" in the COC to inforce down on. Or none that I was made known of..(There could have been but I was just never told of it)
Nope, you're right, each congregation is autonomous!

Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Nope, you're right, each congregation is autonomous!
"autonomous"?
You mean like Optimus Prime?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
"autonomous"?
You mean like Optimus Prime?
No, like the AUTObots!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity