Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,671 times

Advertisements

People are so misinformed about the Church of Christ!!! I can say i really enjoy it. Its teaching is rock solid and i learn alot and im still learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
People are so misinformed about the Church of Christ!!! I can say i really enjoy it. Its teaching is rock solid and i learn alot and im still learning.
It is written, "Whosoever confesses that Jesus is come in the flesh is born of God." It doesn't matter what denominational name they are under or if they agree on everything but all must cling to the basic fundamental of Faith in Christ to save and that only by the ministry of the Spirit [born again of the Spirit] can one know God and walk with God.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:30 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I see where you are going with this, and it's unfortunate that you worship your Catholic religion instead of the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Catholic Chuch didn't die for my or your sins. No where in the bible does it say or teach that Jesus founded the Catholic Church. He founded the Church or ekklesia, which is the Greek word for 'church' in the New Testament. It is translated from the Greek word 'ekklesia' which comes from two words 'ek' meaning 'out' and 'kaleo' meaning to 'call.' An ekklesia or 'calling out' was not just an assembly.The word ekklesia was a political term, not a religious term. Jesus was the King and the Bible used the term ekklesia for a good reason. In classical Greek "ekklesia" meant "an assembly of citizens summoned by the crier, the legislative assembly.
Read up on some church history, read the writings of the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers and saints. Then get back to us.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM

What we are all forgetting is there were no denominations in the First Century. A christian who was upset or disillusioned with the Church in Corinth couldn't go to the Church in Thessalonica thinking its teachings or heirarchy was any different. There was only one Church, as founded and led by the Apostles, who left successors governing them, what were soon known as Bishops, as attested to in Scripture and by the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers (both Catholic and Orthodox since they were united as one before the schism). That one Church, still led by Bishops who are successors to the Apostles, exists today and was described as Catholic in 110 A.D. by St. Ignatius of Antioch, who was said to have heard the Apostle John preach and to have been ordained a Bishop by St. Peter himself (who was also Bishop of Antioch before going to Rome). All these arguments and debates over churches and denominations and what their name should be would be completely foreign to them.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
What we are all forgetting is there were no denominations in the First Century. A christian who was upset or disillusioned with the Church in Corinth couldn't go to the Church in Thessalonica thinking its teachings or heirarchy was any different. There was only one Church, as founded and led by the Apostles, who left successors governing them, what were soon known as Bishops, as attested to in Scripture and by the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers (both Catholic and Orthodox since they were united as one before the schism). That one Church, still led by Bishops who are successors to the Apostles, exists today and was described as Catholic in 110 A.D. by St. Ignatius of Antioch, who was said to have heard the Apostle John preach and to have been ordained a Bishop by St. Peter himself (who was also Bishop of Antioch before going to Rome). All these arguments and debates over churches and denominations and what their name should be would be completely foreign to them.
And by accepting Jesus Christ, the Gospel, and baptism, you were becoming a member of this one Church. You couldn't do all that without it. You couldn't say, "I have Jesus and the Scriptures, I don't need the Apostles and Bishops," because, for one thing, in the First Century, they didn't have Scripture, the NT that is.....

Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Please provide proof that the early church was called "catholic." The NT called the church different names, but never "catholic." They were known collectively as churches of Christ, church of God, the Way, but never catholic.

Yes, bishops/elders were appointed in each church, and if you'll read closely, there was always a plurality of elders, not a single elder in each congregation. These elders had qualifications. They needed to be older men who were married and above reproach with believing children. And never did one single bishop/elder take the position of being head over all churches. There was no such thing as Pope.

I would ask you this. How can the "catholic" church be the church of the NT when they brought back the priesthood after Paul tells us that the priesthood was done away with, that Christ is our high priest and mediator?

Paul warned many would depart from the faith forbidding to marry, a nd to abstain from meat. He warned of the great apostasy.

I was born and raised catholic, but when I was old enough and could read and understand the Bible, I left. The contradictions were just too great, too many things about the catholic denomination contradicted the New Testament: idols, veneration of saints, worship of Mary, and many OT practices which were done away with by Jesus' death on the cross.

Roman catholicism is a denomination that is probably further away from the NT church than any other denomination who call themselves christian.

Katie

Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times
I heard the word 'church" was invented by King James
to unify all beliefs under a controling faith...

Which by the way, kept people fighting among themselves
about what truth is for.
While being controled by the kingdom of James.

I also heard that 'the book' called James?
Was really the book of Jacob.

King James changed it the same as his name also...

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
I heard the word 'church" was invented by King James
to unify all beliefs under a controling faith...

Which by the way, kept people fighting among themselves
about what truth is for.
While being controled by the kingdom of James.

I also heard that 'the book' called James?
Was really the book of Jacob.

King James changed it the same as his name also...
The church is the body of Christ. Did the king invent the body of Christ? And what was Jesus talking about when He said, "Upon this rock I will build My church?"

I think you should check your sources for accuracy.

Katie

Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
And by accepting Jesus Christ, the Gospel, and baptism, you were becoming a member of this one Church. You couldn't do all that without it. You couldn't say, "I have Jesus and the Scriptures, I don't need the Apostles and Bishops," because, for one thing, in the First Century, they didn't have Scripture, the NT that is.....
They may not have had the NT as we know it today, but they certainly had the letters written to the churches by Paul, Peter, etc.

Katie

Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
They may not have had the NT as we know it today, but they certainly had the letters written to the churches by Paul, Peter, etc.

Katie
Except that they existed before the letters did...who do you think the Apostles were writing those letters to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity