Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to sound like a hypocrite (in case I come off like that), but it's kind of hard to believe something you do see for yourself.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
I'm guessing you already believe in alot of things you cannot see. How about heat. It's -8 with a -35 wind chill where I live. I can't see the heat in my house but I know it's here because I feel it working. I can't see gravity but I do not fly off into space, because it is there. You cannot see electricity, just it's effect. Belief in God requires faith. When you believe in Him and surrender your life to Him you will feel Him working in you.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:48 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I'm not trying to sound like a hypocrite (in case I come off like that), but it's kind of hard to believe something you do see for yourself.
Seeing and hearing are sensory . . . the knowledge you seek is not. It is an internal experience of the soul. We each have different degrees of sensitivity to it . . . but it can be learned and you can be trained to awaken your sensitivity in meditation. The only requirements are sincerity and openness.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
It continues to be a great mystery to me how the gift of Faith is dolled out.

There are many fine atheists on this forum who I believe are sincerely honest, loving, and intelligent people who would be hard to distinguish from good Christians, if not for their proclaimed atheism.

I can't help thinking about the apostle Paul, who's revelation was referred to as "scales falling from his eyes". As if the revelation was less of an internal transformation, but more of a light going on.

I wonder if many of the proclaimed atheists I've referred to are much closer to Christ, than some of the hard hearted Christians I see here.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I'm guessing you already believe in alot of things you cannot see. How about heat. It's -8 with a -35 wind chill where I live. I can't see the heat in my house but I know it's here because I feel it working. I can't see gravity but I do not fly off into space, because it is there. You cannot see electricity, just it's effect. Belief in God requires faith. When you believe in Him and surrender your life to Him you will feel Him working in you.
Very well said.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I wonder if many of the proclaimed atheists I've referred to are much closer to Christ, than some of the hard hearted Christians I see here.
It is indisputable . . . by their fruits. Having a Christlike attitude toward life and others reveals one's true beliefs . . . regardless what they profess. I forget who was responsible for them . . . but I loved the ads that said . . ."Being Christian didn't use to be a spectator sport."

Old 12-21-2008, 12:03 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

It continues to be a great mystery to me how the gift of Faith is dolled out.
Doled out? Either you have it or you don't. It's a choice, not a "gift". Salvation is the free "gift". There is plenty of evidence in what is seen to know that there is a Creator...it's up to us to want to get to know Him.

Quote:
There are many fine atheists on this forum who I believe are sincerely honest, loving, and intelligent people who would be hard to distinguish from good Christians, if not for their proclaimed atheism.
Ppffhhht...what??? How do you know that? Do you personally know any of the atheists here, or any of the Christians for that matter?? So everyone is wrong who doesn't behave just like you??? I think that says more about you as a professing Christian than anything else. You cannot speak for ANYONE ELSE here or in real life.

How DO you distinguish between atheists and Christians??? YOU don't. Only God knows what is truly in someone's heart. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Quote:
Again....WHAT???!!! You are really something else. You claim to be a Christian but yet you stand in defense of atheists (seen you do it many times and we are no strangers to each other's postings) and have the audacity to say they are closer to God than Christians???? You need to take a step back and re-evaluate exactly what you are proclaiming to be.

If you have a problem with what I am saying to you, then you need to read this scripture:

Luke 17:3
So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

I'm lalala singing........~~~~

Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
How does one know that God does not exist? The God exist question is something that the secular movement uses quite often in their toolbox.
All I know is we are nothing but an organism with a small life span. Whatever the supreme power created the heavens and earth along with all the other creations that abound, I doubt that I would want to mess with it.
Thus the reason I am not an atheist.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
[quote=DayoftheLord;6655726]
Quote:

Doled out? Either you have it or you don't. It's a choice, not a "gift". Salvation is the free "gift". There is plenty of evidence in what is seen to know that there is a Creator...it's up to us to want to get to know Him.

Ppffhhht...what??? How do you know that? Do you personally know any of the atheists here, or any of the Christians for that matter?? So everyone is wrong who doesn't behave just like you??? I think that says more about you as a professing Christian than anything else. You cannot speak for ANYONE ELSE here or in real life.

How DO you distinguish between atheists and Christians??? YOU don't. Only God knows what is truly in someone's heart. Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Again....WHAT???!!! You are really something else. You claim to be a Christian but yet you stand in defense of atheists (seen you do it many times and we are no strangers to each other's postings) and have the audacity to say they are closer to God than Christians???? You need to take a step back and re-evaluate exactly what you are proclaiming to be.

If you have a problem with what I am saying to you, then you need to read this scripture:

Luke 17:3
So watch yourselves. "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.

Colossians 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.

I'm lalala singing........~~~~

(....take a deep breath....count to 10.....think of beautiful things....)

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Quote:
Perhaps you need to take a step back and re-evaluate what he actually said . . . i have bolded the relevant words.
Quote:
If you have a problem with what I am saying to you . . .
Unless you are identifying yourself with hard hearted Christians . . . I didn't see any reference to you. There is nothing hard hearted about Jesus . . . so anyone who is . . . can hardly proclaim to be in Christ . . . by their fruits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity