Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,179 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I have a very serious question. My daughter was saved and baptized at the age of 13. She is now 19. She has graduated high school and is in college....to my dismay she has now decided that it was I who forced her into being baptized and she had never believed it, as she didn't understand what she was doing. So she says now that she doesn't believe in God and she doesn't go to church with us anymore.

Let me say the reason she thinks it was my fault was because I let her go to Sunday school with her friends and it was "just the thing to do." The pastor and I both talked to her before going ahead with the baptism...at the time she was excited.

Now that she has been saved and baptized can her name be taken out of the book? I've heard it both ways. ...or since she been saved and baptized will she return?

This is on my conscience every time I look at her and pray that she will come back to Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
She is an adult and able to think for herself. You cannot change her.

I grew up in Sikh/Hindu household...guess what? I am Wiccan.

I think for myself now.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Romans 11 has information about this I think. I could tell you what I think, but the Bible says it so much more comforting. Just keep loving and praying.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
That's why we should always pray for our Pastors, they have to deal with on a continuous basis and even much worse than this no offense to the OP. You are in a tough position and I most definitely feel for you. I don't know how much she understand the gospel but just make sure she truly understands it by the Law (Ten Commandments- why we need saving and what Jesus did so we wouldn't face the wrath of God-other than that just keep praying that the Lord will convict her)

Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 AM

23,013 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi All,
I have a very serious question. My daughter was saved and baptized at the age of 13. She is now 19. She has graduated high school and is in college....to my dismay she has now decided that it was I who forced her into being baptized and she had never believed it, as she didn't understand what she was doing. So she says now that she doesn't believe in God and she doesn't go to church with us anymore.

Let me say the reason she thinks it was my fault was because I let her go to Sunday school with her friends and it was "just the thing to do." The pastor and I both talked to her before going ahead with the baptism...at the time she was excited.

Now that she has been saved and baptized can her name be taken out of the book? I've heard it both ways. ...or since she been saved and baptized will she return?

This is on my conscience every time I look at her and pray that she will come back to Him.
Our salvation is secure, it is FOREVER. There is proof of this in 1 John 5:13-15
John 10:27-30, Romans 8:38-39, Titus 3:7, Hebrews 9:12. I believe God will honor your prayer, it may not come as quick as you would like, but never stop praying.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
I was Baptised at the age of 21, when I married my Lutheran husband and into his Lutheran family. They insisted and, since it seemed to make everyone very happy, I went along with it and felt happy about it. I studied Christianity, I tried to belong to that world, I prayed, I meditated, and attended church and taught Sunday School and had both of my children Baptised and did everything that a good Lutheran should do.

But...that was then and this is now. My beliefs have changed, I am much older and much wiser and much more educated in the ways of life and in other beliefs. Both my children, as adults, drifted away from Christianity as well, and they turned out to be good, caring, wonderful people. I guess what I am saying is that as much as you want your child to follow your teachings and be the person you want her to be, she is going to inevitably be who she is.

There is a very strong chance she will return to your faith, but it's something you have to let her do and experience and question, if that is what she needs to do. It sounds to me like she is rebelling a little and trying to experiment with her own thoughts and feelings right now. At 19 she is a young woman, not a child...she will be fine, no matter what life she chooses, and I hope you will allow her to question and explore who she is. By giving her her freedom to be herself, you will be leaving a very wide and easy path for her to return home.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Sherry, your little girl is growing up and as Esselq said, is rebeling a bit..She feels it is time to make her own decisions and maybe even show the world (and you) that she CAN..Don't pressure her right now, just love her and allow her to make her choices about belief and let her know that you also realize she is an adult now, and able to make her own choices..that is all she wants from you right now..

Hug her often, accept her womanhood, pray for guidance for her..BTW, I raised three daughters and I anguished over their bad choices, but gritted my teeth (well, most of the time anyway) and pitched in when they asked me too..We are all very close and as 4 adult women remain not only mom and girls, but friends and confidants..

It is pretty well known that most people do end up going back to the "Roots of their Raisin" if it was very strong.. I feel that you have given her some good deep strong roots and she will return to them..God bless both of you....

Old 12-22-2008, 12:48 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,644 times
God does not remove names from "the book." We do that ourselves by our sins.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 PM

221 posts, read 379,624 times
I totally identify with you, only I have TWO daughters who were
brought up Christian. Neither one has come back yet to practice
the faith. One is 24, the other 21. Whenever we visit, I slip in
God here and God there. I tell them how wonderful it is to
recognize God in my life each and every minute.
They know I'm telling the truth. They see my Bible here and
then there. They see me going to church. They see me praying.
I have trust that they will follow.

You should too.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,179 times
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your responses...I think I've just decided by reading them to just be--quiet that is. She can still see me and what I and her other sisters do and think. I'm afraid by "badgering" her, which I was doing, that I will only drive her away at this point. She is my oldest, and it seems like you always learn with your oldest...I just didn't want to make a mistake during this time, because I believe the consequences of my actions to her denial could possibly turn her even farther away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity