U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM

11,271 posts, read 8,772,878 times
Quote:
To deny the truth of eternal punishment is to deny Christ in a roundabout way. Since Christ came to save sinners, he came to save them from SOMETHING. And for something. If there is no eternal damnation, then Christ's sacrifice is pointless. It would also make him wrong.
Hi the wages of sin is death, not eternal hell. Jesus came to save us f out of sin and death. This is what He saves sinners out of. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-30-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM

5,137 posts, read 11,531,185 times
Too many No's going around

God doesn't reveal everything IMPORTANT to His prophets.
Daniel is a perfect example

You state that hell is for ALL MEN according to the bible.
Please share book/chapter/verse or passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
NO. scripture calls the lake of fire, second death.

as the whole bible is God's word, why should God hide such an important subject, and not even reveal it to the prophets?

NO. hell (sheol) is the temporay destination of all men according to the bible.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM

read it in the context it's being used...it's not speaking about physical death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi the wages of sin is death, not eternal hell. Jesus came to save us from sin and death. This is what He saves sinners out of. God bless.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:24 AM

1,143 posts, read 913,020 times
Quote:
You state that hell is for ALL MEN according to the bible.
Jacob, Job, Hiskia, they all expected to go to hell (sheol), David seems still to be in hell (Acts 2), I understand the biblical hell of course not to be a place of conscious torment.

you'll find enough references here:

The Exact Nature of Sheol, Hades and Hell.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
read it in the context it's being used...it's not speaking about physical death
Hi, I am. Jesus came to save us out of sin and death, not eternal hell. God bless.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Not looking to read a book to find out you're wrong

You state according to the bible ALL men...so please point WHERE it says that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
you'll find enough references here:

The Exact Nature of Sheol, Hades and Hell.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM

that would make no sense

that would mean everyone is saved

Quote:
Hi, I am. Jesus came to save us out of sin and death, not eternal hell. God bless.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Everyone will be saved, renriqu02. God bless.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 AM

i dont think so.

Also...are you saying Jesus had sin?
Jesus died on the cross....

Wages of sin is physical death (according to you)

Quote:
Everyone will be saved, renriqu02. God bless.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:40 AM

1,143 posts, read 913,020 times
Gen. 37:34.35, also Gen. 42:37.38 and Gen. 44:29-21

And Jacob rent his clothes, and put sackcloth on his loins, and mourned for his son many days. And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted, and said, For I will go down to my son into Sheol mourning.

Jacob expected to go to hell when he dies, he also expected Joseph to be there.

Job 14:13

Oh that thou wouldest hide me in Sheol, that thou wouldest keep me secret until thine anger be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me, …

Job prayed to be hidden in hell

Isaiah 38:9-11

The writing of Hezekiah king of Judah, when he had been sick and had recovered from his sickness: I said, In the meridian of my days I shall go to the gates of Sheol: I am deprived of the rest of my years. I said, I shall not see Jah, Jah in the land of the living. With those who dwell where all has ceased to be, I shall behold man no more.

Hezekiah expected to go to hell and cease to exist as it seems to me, Job 3 seems to refer to sheol alike.

(Quotes from Darby)

Ecclesiastes 9:10 (Douay Rheims)

Whatsoever thy hand is able to do, do it earnestly: for neither work, nor reason, nor wisdom, nor knowledge shall be in hell, whither thou art hastening.

this seems to apply universally to all men, good and evil alike

a similar view is held in the apocrypha

Sirach 41:1-5 (KJV)

O death, how bitter is the remembrance of thee to a man that liveth at rest in his possessions, unto the man that hath nothing to vex him, and that hath prosperity in all things: yea, unto him that is yet able to receive meat! O death, acceptable is thy sentence unto the needy, and unto him whose strength faileth, that is now in the last age, and is vexed with all things, and to him that despaireth, and hath lost patience! Fear not the sentence of death, remember them that have been before thee, and that come after; for this is the sentence of the Lord over all flesh. And why art thou against the pleasure of the most High? there is no inquisition in the grave (Greek: Hades= hell), whether thou have lived ten, or an hundred, or a thousand years.

for further info, see the link

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity