U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-25-2008, 01:52 AM

14,097 posts, read 12,453,173 times
Default Question about Christian based religion

Why don't the Christian based religions celebrate the same holidays and traditions as the Jewish religion since Jesus was also Jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-25-2008, 04:39 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,176,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Why don't the Christian based religions celebrate the same holidays and traditions as the Jewish religion since Jesus was also Jewish?
It's called Jesus ushering in a new Covenant and the Old Law Covenant given through Moses to Abraham's decendants which were the Jews or Isrealites , simply ended. Christians are not subject under the Jewish Laws. Jews who reject Christ and adamantly insist Christ was not the promised Messiah and believe the Law is still in place are then obligated to keep that law if their religion deands it of them. The Jews could never live up to the Mosaic Law Covenant, so they were eventually rejected as God's chosen people because they had already long since apostacized and incorporated pagan concepts from the nations around them into their Jewish faith. But you have to also remember back about the original promise to Abraham from his God Jehovah. Is was promised that eventually ALL of mankind that would benefit from Abraham's seed of which line of decent led to Christ, not just his decendants the Jews.

So all those festivals like, Festival of Boths, Passover, etc ended. In actuality, the only celebration Jesus ever instituted or commanded his followers to keep was the comemoration of his death called the "Lord's Evening Meal" which by Jewish calendar would be Nisan 14. All those other holidays and celebrations have no origins with Jesus Christ. Over the centuries many clergyman have taken it upon themselves to institute new holidays and festivals as extra add-ons for worship in their various denominations.

Hope that helps

Unread 12-26-2008, 10:04 AM

3,552 posts, read 2,622,652 times
Quote:
Good question. Even Jesus said He would celebrate it in His Kingdom..

Mat 26:29
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Unread 12-26-2008, 10:28 AM

5,261 posts, read 3,471,033 times
Quote:
Mornin' sailordave......this is a question that I've asked myself now for about the past 2 years...I'm beginning to hear and learn more and more about these feasts and traditional celebrations like Passover in April...Yom Kippur, Day of Attonement in October...and Rash a Shana, Feast of Tabernacles. I am leaning toward believing that these feast days are very significant in our lives as Christians, as well as the Jewish. I am very interested in their meanings...I believe there's more to them than meets the eye...something I've learned (very litle) about The Day of Attonement being the season that Christ will return as our KIng! I feel Christians should delve into this a little deeper...there's some real treasure there!...Love

Unread 12-26-2008, 10:39 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,856,137 times
Christians celebrate three events only. The Birth, the death, and the resurrection. Other events are not celebrated at specific times and are considered sacramental. We celebrate things like baptism, the last supper, and marriage.......

Without a common heritage the way the Jews have, we do not have any accessory traditions. As most Christians are not Jewish, we are not part of the Jewish tradition. While we acknowledge Hanuka and Passover, etc, we do not celebrate them.

Unread 12-26-2008, 10:56 AM

3,552 posts, read 2,622,652 times
But hasn't the angel of death passed over us in Christ? In fact were not most of the old celebrations shadowed after the Spiritual? It is a way to remember, and to celebrate. We could go through each of them one by one, and they would apply to modern Christianity today. We ARE Israel, ALL who believe. This is why there is no Jew or Gentile, no slave and free, no labels and unlabeled. We are One with the One.

At the same time, I feel that if a celebration is what you desire to honor God, then have at it. No one should step in the way. Make sense? But if the need doesn't arise in your own lifes, then don't, but we should always REMEMBER that from where we were fallen, and how Christ Jesus lifted us up to God through His Blood.

If we discount everything in the OT, then how could the Blood of Jesus apply to us, in this day? We would not even be near the Temple to shed blood for sin. So we must apply the Spiritual New Covenant with the carnal OC. Otherwise it makes no sense, if you know what I mean.

Unread 12-26-2008, 12:38 PM

2,485 posts, read 3,493,238 times
Because of Galations chapter 3 and other similar New Testament scriptures that make it plain that the christian is not bound by old covenant.

However, I see nothing wrong with christians celebrating these feasts if they wish to, knowing that they are doing so in remembrance of Gods works with Israel in times past.

Unread 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,856,137 times
there is a difference in choosing to and having it as a tenet of a faith......anytime is a good time for a party, but I don't feel I have to celebrate anything anytime I don't want to.

Unread 12-26-2008, 07:12 PM

46,914 posts, read 41,366,596 times
lots of overlap but not 1 for 1.
remembering that the jewish traditions started b4 jesus, e.g. passover.
christianity orginally a jewish sect but when became offered to greeks. the decision was made to not do full conversion (circumcise.)

Unread 12-26-2008, 07:21 PM

10,204 posts, read 7,902,494 times
Quote:
However, I see nothing wrong with christians celebrating these feasts if they wish to, knowing that they are doing so in remembrance of Gods works with Israel in times past.
I agree. We are not bound to observe special days (Colossians 2:16) but we are free to observe them if we choose. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-26-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity