U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:33 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post

So… I still do not understand why you said, “instead”.
Why try to disprove something that Catholics hold near and true to themselves? Marian doctrine has a lot of support to Catholics because of our beliefs in purity, chastity, and the purity and chastity of our blessed Mother.

When non-Catholics attack the faith, I merely suggest they should look at the hierarchy, and study it, and see for themselves where it originated from. Because this is the root of all the issues, not our doctrines on Mary and purgatory and other minor details. The idol worship and such could easily be debunked by Catholics. Protestants just choose to ignore what we say, and play mind games with semantics.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

810 posts, read 827,432 times
The apostolic succession is just a game of 6 degrees of separation at an attempt to gain supremecy. It is sad that people stay with a church that is so obviously corrupt, just because they feel no other option. I have had several Catholics tell me I'm not Christian and then turn around and tell me that I put too much stock into the bible.

I would be concerned which Church I affiliate myself with...if the Church is corrupt then what does that say about it's doctrines? Can you trust the doctrines that are supposedly from the bible, when the Church encourages their members NOT to put too much stock into the bible. So really the Church is only teachings ITS own doctrines and traditions.

Didn't Jesus condemn the Jewish leaders of his time for the same reasons? What's to say he won't do/or hasn't done the same thing to the Catholic Church.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:54 PM

6,945 posts, read 7,132,961 times
I believe a walk like Abraham's or David's is more cut out for me, personally.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,616,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Can you trust the doctrines that are supposedly from the bible, when the Church encourages their members NOT to put too much stock into the bible. So really the Church is only teachings ITS own doctrines and traditions .
Spoken like a true fundamentalist hick.

The Catholic Church is centered around the Bible. Have you ever been to Mass? Well, we have (a) one reading from the Old Testament's prophets, (b) one reading from the New Testament (such as from Ephesians, Corinthians, etc.) and (c) a Gospel Reading, followed by a sermon (homily) and an all-encompassing profession of faith called the Creed.

We just don't go around quoting it, talking "fire and brimstone" around it and doing it with a twang.

When someone says Catholicism DOES NOT EQUAL Bible, in my mind, that person has registered as an idiot.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:34 PM

1,756 posts, read 1,534,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
when the Church encourages their members NOT to put too much stock into the bible.
My husband and I along with our entire marriage prep class were told this 12 years ago. We were encouraged to read our catechism over our Bibles.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:50 PM

414 posts, read 508,357 times
Default Catholics would be ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

The Catholic Church is centered around the Bible. Have you ever been to Mass? Well, we have (a) one reading from the Old Testament's prophets, (b) one reading from the New Testament (such as from Ephesians, Corinthians, etc.) and (c) a Gospel Reading, followed by a sermon (homily) and an all-encompassing profession of faith called the Creed.

We just don't go around quoting it, talking "fire and brimstone" around it and doing it with a twang.

When someone says Catholicism DOES NOT EQUAL Bible, in my mind, that person has registered as an idiot.

... required to know a lot of "organisational" stuff around rituals which IMHO have been repeated too often to cut through to overcrowded minds. It appears to be similar to a an over-organized state bureaucracy (and may have spawned such with time passing).

This is not to say it was all in bad intention, however.

Personally, I see the essential connections ("Love ye one another ...") buried under institutionalized ego-importance, which appears to be "normal" - but really need not be so.

Last edited by lwowl; 12-26-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 03:52 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,544,827 times
I have had many friends that were Catholic, and now converted to as a 'Christian'.

We all know that Catholics bow down and worship idols yet they seem to say it's just a 'coincidence'.

Catholicism doesn't equal the bible neither does the bible equal catholicism.

The bible equals the bible, and there's nothing next to it.

Quote:

Old 12-26-2008, 05:48 PM

5,261 posts, read 3,870,601 times
Default All Saints are CHOSEN BY GOD...ME and YOU...BOTH.

Ephesians 1:4...According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love; 5 Having predestined us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, 6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. 7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; 8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence; 9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself; 10 That in the dispensation of the fullness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him: 11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: 12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. 13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, 17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, 19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to usward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, 20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, 21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: 22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all...end.
Verna:
There is in each of us a deep need to be needed-a craving for significance, purpose and meaning. Why not, we were created o purpose and for purpose, Ephesains 2:10...For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. 14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us; 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the lew of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; 16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one boly by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby. 18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; 21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 2 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Finding our God created purpose and filling it brings completion and wholeness to our lives-full and abundant! My life in Christ Jesus has been full and abundant, and I'm not a Catholic....hmmmm...Love.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 12-26-2008 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 07:30 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,616,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I have had many friends that were Catholic, and now converted to as a 'Christian'.

We all know that Catholics bow down and worship idols yet they seem to say it's just a 'coincidence'.

Catholicism doesn't equal the bible neither does the bible equal catholicism.

The bible equals the bible, and there's nothing next to it.
Oh, that's right, I remember you (mortage person in NC)...we've tangled before.

These people transfer out of Catholicism and go AOG, Baptist or "grass roots/fundy" and then they get real "preachy." What I've noticed is that these people have all become worse in the process....most of the people that went over did so because these mega-churches offer so many "niche" ministries to put a bandage on their current goings-on that the Catholic church doesn't have clubs for - like social groups for divorce(e)s numbering 200+ so they can jump-start their social lives over pot lucks and coffee.

About the statues comment, that is ignorance to the nth degree. ALL Christian faiths seem to like their "manger scenes," complete with replicas of what everybody in the cast looks like. So, then, why can't they come up with reasonable facsimiles of Joan of Arc or other more recent people who have given their lives for Christian service? Ignorance beyond belief. We don't worship the effigy, but pay respect to the mind and soul behind that representation. How very selective of you....and you mean to tell me that Protestant Christians don't have pictures of Christ and the apostles ANYWHERE to be seen? Right.

Go back to my earlier post. And so where do our 3 successive readings come from? Isn't the prophet Isaiah in the Bible's Old Testament, and aren't Paul's letters to the Corinthians in the Bible, and aren't the gospels according to John/Mark/Matthew/Luke in the Bible? Well?

Your posts are reactionary and not backed by specific examples. You seem to have an issue with Catholicism. I certainly don't have an issue with Protestants, especially the ones who belong to normal churches, but I do have an issue with the more "white trash" ignorant slivers of Christianity that don't like the ones for whom religion is just a part, albeit an important one, of our lives and who don't quote Bible passages just like Aunt Esther, though she was black, did on "Sanford and Son."

Old 12-26-2008, 07:35 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,544,827 times
I have no issues with Catholics...I have an issue with the doctrine.

You look at attitudes, the way they speak, walk, talk, dress, smell, eat, etc...

That doesnt determine salvation

Salvation is determined by being saved by grace through faith.

Jesus said if you love me then obey my commandments.

This is where Catholicism lacks in their idolatry/witchcraft.

A person can be sweeter than honey but

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him

Quote:
Oh, that's right, I remember you (mortage person in NC)...we've tangled before.

These people transfer out of Catholicism and go AOG, Baptist or "grass roots/fundy" and then they get real "preachy." What I've noticed is that these people have all become worse in the process....most of the people that went over did so because these mega-churches offer so many "niche" ministries to put a bandage on their current goings-on that the Catholic church doesn't have clubs for - like social groups for divorce(e)s numbering 200+ so they can jump-start their social lives over pot lucks and coffee.

About the statues comment, that is ignorance to the nth degree. ALL Christian faiths seem to like their "manger scenes," complete with replicas of what everybody in the cast looks like. So, then, why can't they come up with reasonable facsimiles of Joan of Arc or other more recent people who have given their lives for Christian service? Ignorance beyond belief. We don't worship the effigy, but pay respect to the mind and soul behind that representation. How very selective of you....and you mean to tell me that Protestant Christians don't have pictures of Christ and the apostles ANYWHERE to be seen? Right.

Go back to my earlier post. And so where do our 3 successive readings come from? Isn't the prophet Isaiah in the Bible's Old Testament, and aren't Paul's letters to the Corinthians in the Bible, and aren't the gospels according to John/Mark/Matthew/Luke in the Bible? Well?

Your posts are reactionary and not backed by specific examples. You seem to have an issue with Catholicism. I certainly don't have an issue with Protestants, especially the ones who belong to normal churches, but I do have an issue with the more "white trash" ignorant slivers of Christianity that don't like the ones for whom religion is just a part, albeit an important one, of our lives and who don't quote Bible passages just like Aunt Esther, though she was black, did on "Sanford and Son."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity