U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM

71 posts, read 69,894 times

Advertisements

I may not call them Sacraments as labeled by the Cath Curch. I follow the Word as I see it. Salvation is a gift of God. The sacrifice of Jesus rendered perfection for us in Gods plan for our end. The way of life is unchanged as I see it, but our way to life is through Him.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 AM

I just looked them up The seven rites of the historical Christian Church...Babtism,conformation,Eucharist, Matrimony, orders, penance, and extreme unction

Last edited by quesodano; 12-27-2008 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-27-2008, 09:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,556 times
Quote:
I just looked them up The seven rites of the historical Christian Church...Babtism,conformation,Eucharist Matrimony, orders, penance, and extreme unction
I was referring to what is listed in the Bible and nothing else. Sorry bout that!

Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 AM

I Understood you I just want to know what other are talking about. Protestants, as a whole, hold to a few of the things stated.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,100,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I have read quite a few posts of protestants that are very hateful and derogatory toward catholics as well. Of course, i have also seen a few protestants that are very humble and tolerand of others that are not of their own particular brand of christianity. It IS a two way street.
Thank you.

From the Catholic viewpoint, most of us actually like our Protestant brothers and sisters, realizing that what we share in the Old and New Testaments joins us together more than it ought to separate us. The moderate and established Protestant sects who walk into a church sanctuary as nice as ours on a Sunday morning seem to (nowadays) have little issue with us as well.

Who we find annoying are the "grass roots" fundamentalists who, like a broken record, bring up (1) that we are not Biblical enough, as if it's a thermometer, (2) that we WORSHIP the Virgin Mary, when it's actually honor, and (3) that we make idols, which are actually quite convenient for most of us "visual learners" since we got to see these people had long hair, beards, long robes and sandals...befitting the day Christ and his apostles walked the earth. And they can be so "preachy," always pulling a line from scripture like a rabbit from a hat. I don't know many Lutherans, for example, who do this in everyday discussion, but a "fundie" sure will. In so doing, they are being very dogmatic.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:32 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,597,618 times
On confession:

Scripture Catholic - SACRAMENT OF CONFESSION & FORGIVENESS OF SINS

Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
I have read quite a few posts of protestants that are very hateful and derogatory toward catholics as well. Of course, i have also seen a few protestants that are very humble and tolerand of others that are not of their own particular brand of christianity. It IS a two way street.
and how are we to be tolerant, so by your definition, let's say someone is preaching heresy, we are to agree so as to look tolerant? Just what really are you saying?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM

1,239 posts, read 1,597,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
and how are we to be tolerant, so by your definition, let's say someone is preaching heresy, we are to agree so as to look tolerant? Just what really are you saying?
When protestants preach heresy, then yes we have an obligation to correct them.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Romans 14 is a good chapter on tolerance among brothers.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 9,923,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
To me, most churches preach heresy of one sort or another. When Catholics pray to Mary, to me it is a form of heresy. There is nothing in the Bible to support such a prayer (unless you take the admonition of Jesus at the wedding feast where He told the guys to do what she said to do, so I guess if you were wanting to change water into wine, you might go to her).

I would go so far as saying that ANY Christian reciting the"Lords Prayer" is heretical where heresy is defined as

Quote:
Main Entry:her·e·sy Pronunciation: \ˈher-ə-sē, ˈhe-rə-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural her·e·siesEtymology:Middle English heresie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin haeresis, from Late Greek hairesis, from Greek, action of taking, choice, sect, from hairein to takeDate:13th century 1 a: adherence to a religious opinion contrary to church dogma b: denial of a revealed truth by a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church c: an opinion or doctrine contrary to church dogma2 a: dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, or practice b: an opinion, doctrine, or practice contrary to the truth or to generally accepted beliefs or standards
using the definition of 1.a: (my emphasis).

In developing a standard to define heresy as opposed to not being heretical, I choose to rely, as a primary definition/admonition, the words of Jesus.

Jesus taught us to pray in a certain manner. He used what we now call "The Lords Prayer" as an example of HOW to pray. At no point did he ever say this is WHAT to pray. In defining heresy as adherence (the continued action) to a doctrine or action contrary to what Jesus taught, the reciting of the Lords Prayer instead of using it as a format for praying is contrary to Jesus's teachings and therefore heretical. Thus reciting the Lords Prayer is heretical/non-biblical/sinful.

However, God made us. He knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows our hearts. And just as we don't hold it against little children when they do something wrong in innocence, neither does the Father hold it against us when we do something wrong in innocence. And if you have accepted Jesus's sacrifice and have been forgiven of sin, the Father doesn't hold it against us when we do something wrong without innocence.

And if your dogma, wrong though it may be (in my opinion), is what you need to bring you closer to God, then go for it. It is the closeness to God that is the goal. It is the lines of communication you develop that count. It is the sharing with God of your thoughts, dreams, and events of your life that counts. Kneeling, not kneeling, high church, low church, no church, sacramental, non-sacramental, dress up, dress down, pre-,post-or mid-trib......all is irrelevant. The only relevant fact is your relationship with Jesus.

Once, at a pastoral conference, I was asked what I considered the most important verse of the Bible. After thinking about it, I decided that the most important verse in the Bible is the first part of Matthew 27:22.

Quote:
"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Christ?" Pilate asked. (NIV)
It's importance is found in YOUR response. What shall YOU do, then, with Jesus? The Jews standing before Pilate called out to crucify Him. How do you respond? Do you insist He hang out in church? do you use Him to threaten people with? Is He your whipping boy? Is He something you use to express displeasure or to swear at someone with? Or have you accepted Him? Do you love Him? Do you talk to Him? Do you share with Him?

If you argue about which trib is more important, whether or not you baptize infants or adults, how big your building should or should not be, then YOU have moved him out of the center of your faith and subsituted stuff from this world in His place. However, if you can answer Pilates question, and feel that you have done it with knowledge, everything else is frivolity and everything else is irrelevant. Including my opinion...........

Last edited by Goodpasture; 12-27-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity