U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
5,137 posts, read 11,540,041 times
Reputation: 972
gee i dont know?

[SIZE=5]pray[/SIZE]/preɪ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [prey] Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object) 1.to offer devout petition, praise, thanks, etc., to (God or an object of worship).


so no catholic offers petition, praise, thanks, etc to saints or to mary?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
"don't they teach to pray to mary/saints?
what would be 'the point' of praying to them?"

The Catholic Church does not teach us to pray to Mary and the Saints. They do teach us about praying and the types of prayers including intercessory prayers. We are not told how to pray! We are taught about the ways to pray and which way we choose is up to us! We can go through Jesus or go straight to God.

Why can you not believe what we tell you??

 
Old 12-28-2008, 01:58 PM
 
302 posts, read 322,623 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
My bad.......if you want to change water into wine, you go ask her to ask Jesus.....do I have it right now? so the rule is, if you want something, go to Jesus. If you want something Jesus doesn't want you to have, go to Mary and SHE will ask Jesus on your behalf.

And just for arguments sake, having an entity (like a Church) write/assemble a book that says "THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD AND IS INFALLIBLE" and include in that book the phrase "If you don't accept the word of God, you are not a brother" then you have a problem of credibility. While you can deny me membership in your club because I disagree with what you teach (and I do) you cannot deny me access to God, the same way Jesus and the early apostles and disciples accessed God.....through prayer. And given the choice between YOUR rule book and my direct access, I prefer the direct access......which, of course, in your eyes, is heretical, even though it was the accepted form of worship for more than 300 years, until your church was formed and took over.
Please do not put words in my mouth. I accurately quoted Jesus, the apostle John and Paul. If you have a problem, then it is with them.

For your information, I am not a Catholic and do not accept the traditions of men when they set aside the Commandments of God.

Donna Kupp

Last edited by Donna Kupp; 12-28-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: I should have used the name Paul.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 02:31 PM
 
302 posts, read 322,623 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
"don't they teach to pray to mary/saints?
what would be 'the point' of praying to them?"

The Catholic Church does not teach us to pray to Mary and the Saints. They do teach us about praying and the types of prayers including intercessory prayers. We are not told how to pray! We are taught about the ways to pray and which way we choose is up to us! We can go through Jesus or go straight to God.

Why can you not believe what we tell you??
We have to choose which message to believe. Should we believe you --or should we believe the Vatican and PIUS XI? Who has the greatest authority in the Catholic Church; you or the pope?

Dear Reader, Please read my post of 12/20/2008
Topic: Mary #39

Donna Kupp
 
Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
 
14,755 posts, read 14,601,860 times
Reputation: 8168
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
to saints or to mary?
You are obsessed. Perhaps you need to invoke the help of actors Max Von Sydow and Jason Miller (famous 1974 movie...ahem) to help you with your issue, and I'm just being facetious, not literal.

Get over it. As Catholics, we don't obsess over the fact that non-Catholic Christians DON'T pray THROUGH, or respect, the saints.

As Catholics, we don't obsess over the fact that non-Catholic Christians DON'T pray THROUGH, or respect, Mary; however, they probably should, given that she carried Christ in her womb for 9 months.

At the end of the day and at the end of our lives, God will know whether one followed the Commandments, whether one adhered to the teachings of both Biblical Testaments, and what is really in our hearts. I think your heart, and head, are harder than most people's on here, so you will fare accordingly.

Happy New Year, bud!
 
Old 12-28-2008, 03:39 PM
 
Location: where i belong
414 posts, read 508,149 times
Reputation: 53
Post very catholic about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You are obsessed. Perhaps you need to invoke the help of actors Max Von Sydow and Jason Miller (famous 1974 movie...ahem) to help you with your issue, and I'm just being facetious, not literal.

Get over it. As Catholics, we don't obsess over the fact that non-Catholic Christians DON'T pray THROUGH, or respect, the saints.

As Catholics, we don't obsess over the fact that non-Catholic Christians DON'T pray THROUGH, or respect, Mary; however, they probably should, given that she carried Christ in her womb for 9 months.

At the end of the day and at the end of our lives, God will know whether one followed the Commandments, whether one adhered to the teachings of both Biblical Testaments, and what is really in our hearts. I think your heart, and head, are harder than most people's on here, so you will fare accordingly.

Happy New Year, bud!


Join that venture!

Think i got beaten with a bible belt?

And tomorrow it's back to business as usual, so kinda remember this (back from days of AFN and "Free Europe", etc.


YouTube - Kiss An Angel Good Morning

Gentlemen's version, for sublime understanding ...


Nice meeting ya, on the other thread, i mean, btw.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Maryland
1,756 posts, read 1,533,442 times
Reputation: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
the fact that non-Catholic Christians DON'T pray THROUGH, or respect, Mary; however, they probably should, given that she carried Christ in her womb for 9 months.
This is not true. Most non-Catholic Christians have tremendous respect for Mary, and I think you know that. Not praying the "Hail Mary" and not believing in some of the Marian doctrines taught by the Catholic church does not equal not respecting Mary.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Romeoville, IL
1,239 posts, read 1,573,938 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
This is not true. Most non-Catholic Christians have tremendous respect for Mary, and I think you know that. Not praying the "Hail Mary" and not believing in some of the Marian doctrines taught by the Catholic church does not equal not respecting Mary.
Marian doctrine is not hard to understand or grasp from our viewpoint. I think that non-Catholics who are anti-Catholic just choose to ignore our reasoning behind it. Scripture supports our beliefs in Marian doctrine as well. It is all about respect and love for the mother of God.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 06:29 PM
 
3,076 posts, read 3,000,818 times
Reputation: 1247
Default Does the catholic church baptize by sprinkling or immersion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
There are 33,000+ non-Catholic Christian faiths out there because non-Catholic Christians can pretty much act on their own authority. That's why I always suggest, when non-Catholic Christians have issues with Catholic teachings, to try and disprove apostolic authority instead of Marian doctrine, purgatory, etc. That's really what it's all about, everyone ought to want the church that teaches with Christ's authority. People can say whatever they want on a message board, the real trick is backing it up.
The practice of baptism in the New Testament was carried out in one manner. The person who was being baptized was immersed or put completely under the water and then brought back up again. Since this was the mode carried out in the New Testament Bible, why is it that some religions sprinkle rather than immerse their members in water?

Even the Greek word baptizo means "to plunge, dip, immerse" something in water.

If we look in Mark 1:5, people were baptized by John the Baptist "in the river Jordan." Mark also tells us that when Jesus had been baptized "he came up out of the water" Mark 1:10.

When Phillip had shared the gospel with the Ethiopian eunuch, "as they went along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, 'See, here is water! What is to prevent my being baptized?'" Acts 8:36.

In all of these cases, no sprinklling was used. If Jesus, himself, set the example for how all christians should be baptized, then I am just curious as to how or why did sprinkling become a substitute for immersion in some churches as a mode of baptizing members?
 
Old 12-28-2008, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Romeoville, IL
1,239 posts, read 1,573,938 times
Reputation: 475
When Catholics are baptized into the Church, they are completely dipped into water that has been blessed. At least where I am from. No, the entire body isn't in the water, but the entire top half is.

Edit-Besides, that is a poor reason to be a protestant.
 
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM
 
3,076 posts, read 3,000,818 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
When Catholics are baptized into the Church, they are completely dipped into water that has been blessed. At least where I am from. No, the entire body isn't in the water, but the entire top half is.

Edit-Besides, that is a poor reason to be a protestant.
I never said it was a reason to be a protestant. I think we choose to be protestant or catholic for various reasons. I am a Baptist not because I think that the Baptist church is God's only true church or the only ones who truely worship God. I am a Baptist strictly by choice, and a Christian first who is saved by God's Grace. No religion can save anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top