U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:21 AM

704 posts, read 1,292,398 times

Advertisements

I was originally going to post this in the Great Debate forum, but i decided that I wanted this thread to be mostly directed to Christians and their views on the subject.

So my question for you all is: Are you as Christians worried about the church and its involvement in American politics over the years? And Are you concerned about the damages they might possibly cause to each other in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,183,447 times
I am concerned that the Church won't be involved enough in government. God is not exclusive to government. God pervades all aspects of life, including government. Yeah, I guess you could say I wish America was more of a theocracy.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,463,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
I was originally going to post this in the Great Debate forum, but i decided that I wanted this thread to be mostly directed to Christians and their views on the subject.

So my question for you all is: Are you as Christians worried about the church and its involvement in American politics over the years? And Are you concerned about the damages they might possibly cause to each other in the future?
Nope there is nothing wrong with Christians in politics just as long as they handle themselve in a proper, biblical manner.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,654,295 times
I am concerned about Christians NOT getting involved in politics. If we don't get involved, you can bet that the non-believers and other religions will.

Bud

Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,565,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
.......Are you as Christians worried about the church and its involvement in American politics........
Very. the Church should have nothing to do with politics. However I love it when Christians bring their faith to their office, to business, and to society. Years ago I had a discussion with Jim Bakker when he was building Heritage USA. I argued that such a Christian retreat was wrong. If you remove the Christians from the public sector, what do you have left? If you remove Christian children from public schools what is left? If you remove Christians from public office, what do you have left?

Christ, however, MUST be brought by individuals. No church, no religious organization should wield political power. It would make us trend towards a Christian taliban......and I would not accept that........freedom in Christ includes the freedom to refuse to accept Christ. Otherwise the freedom of choice that Jesus taught is a mockery of Him.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Very. the Church should have nothing to do with politics. However I love it when Christians bring their faith to their office, to business, and to society. Years ago I had a discussion with Jim Bakker when he was building Heritage USA. I argued that such a Christian retreat was wrong. If you remove the Christians from the public sector, what do you have left? If you remove Christian children from public schools what is left? If you remove Christians from public office, what do you have left?

Christ, however, MUST be brought by individuals. No church, no religious organization should wield political power. It would make us trend towards a Christian taliban......and I would not accept that........freedom in Christ includes the freedom to refuse to accept Christ. Otherwise the freedom of choice that Jesus taught is a mockery of Him.
Who is weilding "power" and how is it that Christians who run for office make a mockery of Him?

Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,259,393 times
I get worried about it. I look back on the past thirty-forty years in which christians were deeply involved, and see no change in the general morality of society. But I have seen some christians become sellouts to political agendas and scorched earth tactics of both parties and betray their christian principles for the expediency of having political influence. Lust for worldly power is what it always seems to turn into.

I'm not against christians getting into politics. It's done some good once or twice in history. By all means go ahead, I just think it's a waste of time and energy that could be much, MUCH better spent elsewhere.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Who is weilding "power" and how is it that Christians who run for office make a mockery of Him?
He who does not study history is doomed to repeat it.

Once upon a time there was an all powerful church. Not adhering to the current theology of the administration of that church would cause you to be charged with crimes where you could be tortured, enslaved, or murdered. Should the powerful of that church decide they wanted to do something that was not in the orthodoxy of that church all they did was bribe the head of the church to issue an opinion of God's Will and policy was changed. This was a wielding of power that created a mockery of Him.

In another period of history a group of people allowed a church to run the government. As a result, several women, with divergent thoughts, were drowned or burned at the stake without anything appearing like due process. This was a wielding of power that created a mockery of Him.

I will not willingly accept any government that appears to even begin taking the steps that could possibly result in a similar merging of church and state. I don't care if the name of the group is the Jesuits, the Pilgrims, or Focus on the Family.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
He who does not study history is doomed to repeat it.

Once upon a time there was an all powerful church. Not adhering to the current theology of the administration of that church would cause you to be charged with crimes where you could be tortured, enslaved, or murdered. Should the powerful of that church decide they wanted to do something that was not in the orthodoxy of that church all they did was bribe the head of the church to issue an opinion of God's Will and policy was changed. This was a wielding of power that created a mockery of Him.

In another period of history a group of people allowed a church to run the government. As a result, several women, with divergent thoughts, were drowned or burned at the stake without anything appearing like due process. This was a wielding of power that created a mockery of Him.

I will not willingly accept any government that appears to even begin taking the steps that could possibly result in a similar merging of church and state. I don't care if the name of the group is the Jesuits, the Pilgrims, or Focus on the Family.
Those people were not following the word of God.

It was Christianity that created this govenment. Look at many of the governments in the world who have no Christian influence whatsoever and the atrocities they have commited, "human rights" what's that?

Christianity has shown and proven to the world the value IN human life.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Those people were not following the word of God.
THEY said they were. Why would I doubt it? That they didn't follow the word of of MY God is irrelevant. They committed those atrocities in the name of Jesus.
Quote:
It was Christianity that created this govenment. Look at many of the governments in the world who have no Christian influence whatsoever and the atrocities they have commited, "human rights" what's that?
Actually bicameralism's roots are found in Greek and Roman and Indian histories. None of which were Christian. I would challenge your claim that human rights were inherent to Christianity to say that western society developed the concept of human rights despite Christianity, not because of it. The reverence for other life (naturally extended to other people) originates more with the Pagans than it does with Christians. In the Pagan faiths they recognize that we share the world with other life forms. In the Christian faith we were taught to have dominion over other life, which has been perverted to a belief that other life (and natural resources) should be exploited for profit.....and not just profit to achieve physical security, but excessive profits to achieve wasteful lifestyles.
Quote:
Christianity has shown and proven to the world the value IN human life.
In fact, from the Crusades to giving smallpox infested blankets to native Americans, from the 100 Year War to the Irish wars, the Christian Church has a lot to atone for. No other religion, with the possible exception of Muslim, has so perverted their own scripture to wreck more havoc, inflict more pain and anguish on their fellow man and their fellow believers than the traditional "Christian church."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity