Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times

Advertisements

what would you like to hear?

I'm an older fella that likes long walks along the beach, sunrises seen as you go to sleep, camping, fishing, Verdi, Mozart, John Lennon, Chris LeDoux, Shakespeare, Hillerman, L'Amour, OU football, the feel of a quality rifle, the smell of a willing woman, the creak of saddle leather, horse sweat, the smell of pine from a campfire mingled with bacon and biscuits, the howling of a coyote, the bugle of an elk.......I've had a couple of dogs and two horses in my life that I count among my friends......................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 06:55 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
what would you like to hear?

I'm an older fella that likes long walks along the beach, sunrises seen as you go to sleep, camping, fishing, Verdi, Mozart, John Lennon, Chris LeDoux, Shakespeare, Hillerman, L'Amour, OU football, the feel of a quality rifle, the smell of a willing woman, the creak of saddle leather, horse sweat, the smell of pine from a campfire mingled with bacon and biscuits, the howling of a coyote, the bugle of an elk.......I've had a couple of dogs and two horses in my life that I count among my friends......................
Well that's enough for me to chew on for a bit. lol

I'd like more about your relationship with Christ. You have such a personal relationship with Him...it's a blessing to read.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
I'd like more about your relationship with Christ. You have such a personal relationship with Him...it's a blessing to read.
Doesn't everyone have a personal relationship with Him? He isn't an icon at the front of a fancy building. He is a guy like about half of the worlds population. Sure, He is special, He does things I can't. But then I couldn't ever whip Mohammad Ali, I don't understand string theory very well, I am a lousy actor, there are a lot of things I don't do well......most of us are like that. But He can do it all, and do it well.

I don't trouble Him with triviality. I recall years ago I asked Him about the Virgin Birth. He told me that I should pay attention to what I am doing and not fret over things like that. He said some people think it is important that His mum was a virgin, and if they wanted to make a big deal about it and it helped them in their faith, then they should go ahead and make the big deal. But, and this conversation took place over a long period of time.....so I am summarizing a lot, if you spend your time fretting over things like "was Mary a virgin," or "should I drink a cold beer or not," or "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" then you are simply wasting your time and resources on silly parlor games when you should be thinking about important stuff.

I asked Him about Christmas....He asked me what difference did it make when He was born. I asked Him about celebrating Easter......He asked me how many times do I want to crucify Him. I asked Him about falling from grace....He asked me if I thought He was that fickle. I asked Him about women in the pulpit.....He asked me if I was qualified to judge another persons relationship with Him and His plans for them.........it wasn't that formal, actually.....it was more of a "Butt out, it's none of your business" but I understood why I needed to butt out.

I was wondering one day about why, after filling a pulpit for a couple of years, I discovered I wasn't supposed to be there and what I should do next. I was attending a pretty big church at that point and I heard one of the assistant pastors saying they needed parking lot attendants, that that can be a ministry in itself......I heard him laughing.....one of those big laughs that ends up with tears in your eyes......He told me that being helpful can be a part of a ministry of service.......but don't think you are going to get away with that kind of service when other needs must be met. I asked Him what other needs. He asked me if anyone was hungry or cold. Were there children who needed shoes. He prompted me to read Matthew 25: 31-40

Quote:
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Old 12-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Doesn't everyone have a personal relationship with Him? He isn't an icon at the front of a fancy building. He is a guy like about half of the worlds population. Sure, He is special, He does things I can't. But then I couldn't ever whip Mohammad Ali, I don't understand string theory very well, I am a lousy actor, there are a lot of things I don't do well......most of us are like that. But He can do it all, and do it well.

I don't trouble Him with triviality. I recall years ago I asked Him about the Virgin Birth. He told me that I should pay attention to what I am doing and not fret over things like that. He said some people think it is important that His mum was a virgin, and if they wanted to make a big deal about it and it helped them in their faith, then they should go ahead and make the big deal. But, and this conversation took place over a long period of time.....so I am summarizing a lot, if you spend your time fretting over things like "was Mary a virgin," or "should I drink a cold beer or not," or "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" then you are simply wasting your time and resources on silly parlor games when you should be thinking about important stuff.

I asked Him about Christmas....He asked me what difference did it make when He was born. I asked Him about celebrating Easter......He asked me how many times do I want to crucify Him. I asked Him about falling from grace....He asked me if I thought He was that fickle. I asked Him about women in the pulpit.....He asked me if I was qualified to judge another persons relationship with Him and His plans for them.........it wasn't that formal, actually.....it was more of a "Butt out, it's none of your business" but I understood why I needed to butt out.

I was wondering one day about why, after filling a pulpit for a couple of years, I discovered I wasn't supposed to be there and what I should do next. I was attending a pretty big church at that point and I heard one of the assistant pastors saying they needed parking lot attendants, that that can be a ministry in itself......I heard him laughing.....one of those big laughs that ends up with tears in your eyes......He told me that being helpful can be a part of a ministry of service.......but don't think you are going to get away with that kind of service when other needs must be met. I asked Him what other needs. He asked me if anyone was hungry or cold. Were there children who needed shoes. He prompted me to read Matthew 25: 31-40
God just used you in my life.

Until I came to this site, I thought all believers had a personal relationship with Christ. I thought all believers welcomed the Holy Spirit. It's rare to have someone step outside of their box and tell of real conversations with the Lord. Thank you for that. Thank you so much.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:36 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
All believer's do have a personal relationship with Christ. You just answered your own question there. Because of "your" personal relationship with Him, you will be judged accordingly. And for that reason, if nothing else, you cannot know the mind of God.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Because of "your" personal relationship with Him, you will be judged accordingly. And for that reason, if nothing else, you cannot know the mind of God.
Nonsense

Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Nonsense
There's a standard judgment? Then you find it and give it to her!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times
I believe that we can know some things concerning the mind of God as we continue in His word, walk in the light, pray for understanding. He reveals to us as He wills. He enlightens us but there are things that we aren't able to know, all of His ways. God bless.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 PM

She wants to know what will God specifically ask on judgment day.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 PM

She wondered aloud if there are any Bible verses that she is currently unaware of. That is all. Asked and answered. Everything is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity