Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,746,296 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this has been posted before...
Is Baptism something thats need for one to become a..
Christian or enter heaven?
Im sure theres different viewpoints on this.
I believe in Christ but i have never been baptized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,334,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
You're right, you are going to find two majorly different viewpoints on this. One will say yes, you must be baptized to be saved, the other will say no, you do not.

I encourage you to read and study this topic with an open mind and let the Spirit guide you.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,909,920 times
Quote:
The requirement for salvation is to repent of your sins with godly sorrow, separate from all sin, come out of the world and then Jesus will apply His blood to your soul (spiritually speaking); this is what will put you on your path to Heaven.

Water baptism signifies your death to self as you go under the water and then come forth out of the water with a newness of life in Christ; this, in and of itself, will not save you, but a righteous person would desire to go on to be baptized like Jesus was.

The baptism of the Holy Ghost is an entirely different event that is clearly explained in the Book of Acts. It is for all believers.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:13 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,497,499 times
Quote:
I don't believe you have to be baptized to enter heaven, that is work righteousness and there is nothing we can do to enter heaven because it robs God of His glory.

We should be baptized because Jesus commands it and that is good enough for me.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 12-29-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 11:41 AM

22,997 posts, read 34,260,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't believe you have to be baptized to enter heaven because that is work righteousness and there is nothing we can do to enter heaven because it robs God of His glory.

All I can add to this is AMEN!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I don't believe you have to be baptized to enter heaven, that is work righteousness and there is nothing we can do to enter heaven because it robs God of His glory.

I think "we HAVE to be baptized" because Jesus commands it is a better statement.

We believe you must do everything else He commands, right?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,334,810 times
If someone was trapped on a lonely island and started believing in God and truly couldn't get baptized that would be one thing. If someone believes in God but is honestly ignorant of the need for baptism that is between them and God.

For the rest of us the New Testament model is clear: people were baptized immediately after believing.

Acts 8

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came to some water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what keeps me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stop: and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and Philip baptized him.

Acts 16

He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

Acts 2

Then the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."
With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day

Mark 16

Jesus says that --> And he said unto them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he that disbelieves shall be condemned.

I Peter 3

Peter says that --->
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God

Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If someone was trapped on a lonely island and started believing in God and truly couldn't get baptized that would be one thing. If someone believes in God but is honestly ignorant of the need for baptism that is between them and God.

For the rest of us the New Testament model is clear: people were baptized immediately after believing.

Acts 8

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached to him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came to some water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what keeps me from being baptized? And Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, you may. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he commanded the chariot to stop: and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and Philip baptized him.

Acts 16

He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized.

Acts 2

Then the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."
With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day

Mark 16

Jesus says that --> And he said unto them, Go into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved, and he that disbelieves shall be condemned.

I Peter 3

Peter says that --->
For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God
Amen!!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,539,299 times
this is what Jesus said

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:25 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,289,403 times
Quote:

why not just hedge your bets, and get baptized.

(unless you suffer from aquaphobia )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity