Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times

Advertisements

If Jesus is God…

1. How could he become a man?,
The Word was with God, the Word was God, the Word became flesh..
He never stopped being fully God, but when he bacame man he also had a human nature added to his God nature.
Fully God and Fully man..

2. How could he be called ‘the firstborn of all creation’ and the ‘beginning of the creation by God’ if God had no beginning?
Firstborn means Superior, Jesus is superior to all the creation because he created it.
The word "beginning" means "source"...Jesus is the source of all creation.
He made "all things"

3. How could he die, since God cannot die?
Jesus is fully 100% human too, and as a human he shares in our flesh.
Thus he could die...

4. Who did he pray to?
Jesus prays to the Father, as do I and all humans.
When Jesus became human he had emptied of himself of his right to act as God, and had to rely completely on the Father for everything...(as do all humans) "By myself I can do nothing"

In this way we can have 100% confidence that our Lord knows what life is like for a normal human being

5. Why did Satan call him ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God’?
The term "Son of God" highlights his humanity, as such it is correct to address Jesus as the "Son of God"

But as to why Satan used the term?...dont know...thats a question that I bet lots of Bible Commentaries tussle with Im sure...LOL

6. Why did he tell Satan that only God was to be worshiped, and not himself?
Satan wanted God to worship him...
That might be the secret dream that Satan has always had...to not just be worshipped by fellow creatures, but to actually be worshipped by the one and only Creator!

Jesus told him that more or less, that was never going to happen

7. Who’s name did he tell us to sanctify? His? Or his Fathers?
Jesus came to do the will of his Father alone!

8. Why didn’t he say only those doing ‘my’ (his) will would enter the kingdom?
Again, Jesus came to do the will of the Father alone!

9. Why did the demons also call him ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God?’
The term "Son of God" is a very correct term when addressing Jesus.
The term Highlights the humanity of Jesus.

Other terms that are also correct to address jesus as are.
God
Lord
Master
Word
brother
Son
Friend
Saviour

and the Carpenter...

take your pick, all are correct.
As for the question of why Demons do things they do?...Dont know.
Strange as it may seem I dont really hang out much with Demons

10. Who did the people who saw him heal a paralytic child give praise to? Him or God?
Well only God could heal the child, so I hope they thanked God.
Jesus said that all the works that he did were because of the Father in him doing them.
He said that alone he could do nothing

11. How could he (Jesus) not know when Armageddon would occur?
Jesus is fully human too.
When God became man, he gave up some of the rights he had to act as God, and clearly knowing some dates falls within this area.

12. What did the disciples on the boat call him, after he quieted the storm? God or God’s Son?
Is this the time they called him'My Lord and My God?" or was that a different time?

What we know for sure is that you are fine calling Jesus many names. (see my list above)
The term "Son of God" is 100% fine too as it highlights the human nature of Jesus

13. Why didn’t Peter call him God, instead of ‘Son of the living God’ when asked who he thought Christ was?
"Son of God is a very correct title too, as it highlights the human nature of Jesus

There is no slight here by Peter.
The human nature of Jesus was something Jesis liked to point out to people. We know this by the use Jesus made of the term "Son of man"

14. Why did the chief priests of the Sanhedrin attempt to get Jesus to blaspheme by calling himself ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God?
Unless I remember it wrong, the Jews at one point did try to kill Jesus for making himself equal with God.

Actually I think that was what they were seeking to kill Jesus for doing.

15. When he was mocked by the priests at his execution, who did they say he claimed to be? God or God’s Son?
Both terms would be correct to adddress Jesus by.
As for why would they call him names and mock him?...well, thats what evil people tend to do to people that are about to kill.
I seem to remember the Romans bending the knee to jesus...before they nailed him to the wooden cross

16. Who did the army officer at his execution say he was? God or God’s Son?
Again, both terms are given to Jesus in the Text, so there is no harm in calling Jesus "The son of God"...or even calling him "friend"

17. Who gave him authority? Who is greater? The one who gives authority, or the one who receives it?
This is a very good question to point out to a JW at the door.
They like to bring up the idea that the Father is "Greater" that the son...
And this is very true.
The Father is greater than the Son...

But they jump the the false idea that this must mean that Jesus was not God...that is the JW error!

The Father is greater than the son
But the Father is not "better" than the son.

Greater means in position
Better means in nature.

The position of the Father is over the son
The nature of the Father and the Son is the same.

18. Why would he say “Abba (papa)…remove this cup from me. Yet not what I want, but what you want?” (Mark 14:36) italics ours
"italics ours"???LOL...someone is just reading to us out of a little book!

19. How could he be tempted to sin by the Devil, since God cannot sin?
Humans can be very much tempted.
Jesus has a 100% human nature, and so he can be very tempted as all humans can.
He faced the same temptations we do, so his advice on what to do means something.

If Jesus could not be tempted as I am, then his advice to me on how to handle a temptation would be meaningless to me.

20. Of what point would it be for Satan to offer the creator of the universe human kingdoms in exchange for worship?
Satan made hisw attack against the human nature of Jesus.
The answer Jesus gives to each temptation is also something that all humans can learn from

21. How could he be God and be with God at the same time?
God is different than anything in creation.
There is no answer to the "how?" question...
We have nothing to look at to compare God too.

Thus it comes down to a matter of faith.
Do you believe John 1:1 or not?

The Word was with God
The Word was God...

22. How could no man ever see God, and yet see Jesus?
Jesus has a human nature too, we saw his human nature

23. What did he say his food was? To do his own will?
Jesus came to do the work of the Father, all humans should do the same

More later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
If Jesus is God…

1. How could he become a man?,
The Word was with God, the Word was God, the Word became flesh..
He never stopped being fully God, but when he bacame man he also had a human nature added to his God nature.
Fully God and Fully man..

2. How could he be called ‘the firstborn of all creation’ and the ‘beginning of the creation by God’ if God had no beginning?
Firstborn means Superior, Jesus is superior to all the creation because he created it.
The word "beginning" means "source"...Jesus is the source of all creation.
He made "all things"

3. How could he die, since God cannot die?
Jesus is fully 100% human too, and as a human he shares in our flesh.
Thus he could die...

4. Who did he pray to?
Jesus prays to the Father, as do I and all humans.
When Jesus became human he had emptied of himself of his right to act as God, and had to rely completely on the Father for everything...(as do all humans) "By myself I can do nothing"

In this way we can have 100% confidence that our Lord knows what life is like for a normal human being

5. Why did Satan call him ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God’?
The term "Son of God" highlights his humanity, as such it is correct to address Jesus as the "Son of God"

But as to why Satan used the term?...dont know...thats a question that I bet lots of Bible Commentaries tussle with Im sure...LOL

6. Why did he tell Satan that only God was to be worshiped, and not himself?
Satan wanted God to worship him...
That might be the secret dream that Satan has always had...to not just be worshipped by fellow creatures, but to actually be worshipped by the one and only Creator!

Jesus told him that more or less, that was never going to happen

7. Who’s name did he tell us to sanctify? His? Or his Fathers?
Jesus came to do the will of his Father alone!

8. Why didn’t he say only those doing ‘my’ (his) will would enter the kingdom?
Again, Jesus came to do the will of the Father alone!

9. Why did the demons also call him ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God?’
The term "Son of God" is a very correct term when addressing Jesus.
The term Highlights the humanity of Jesus.

Other terms that are also correct to address jesus as are.
God
Lord
Master
Word
brother
Son
Friend
Saviour

and the Carpenter...

take your pick, all are correct.
As for the question of why Demons do things they do?...Dont know.
Strange as it may seem I dont really hang out much with Demons

10. Who did the people who saw him heal a paralytic child give praise to? Him or God?
Well only God could heal the child, so I hope they thanked God.
Jesus said that all the works that he did were because of the Father in him doing them.
He said that alone he could do nothing

11. How could he (Jesus) not know when Armageddon would occur?
Jesus is fully human too.
When God became man, he gave up some of the rights he had to act as God, and clearly knowing some dates falls within this area.

12. What did the disciples on the boat call him, after he quieted the storm? God or God’s Son?
Is this the time they called him'My Lord and My God?" or was that a different time?

What we know for sure is that you are fine calling Jesus many names. (see my list above)
The term "Son of God" is 100% fine too as it highlights the human nature of Jesus

13. Why didn’t Peter call him God, instead of ‘Son of the living God’ when asked who he thought Christ was?
"Son of God is a very correct title too, as it highlights the human nature of Jesus

There is no slight here by Peter.
The human nature of Jesus was something Jesis liked to point out to people. We know this by the use Jesus made of the term "Son of man"

14. Why did the chief priests of the Sanhedrin attempt to get Jesus to blaspheme by calling himself ‘Son of God’ and not ‘God?
Unless I remember it wrong, the Jews at one point did try to kill Jesus for making himself equal with God.

Actually I think that was what they were seeking to kill Jesus for doing.

15. When he was mocked by the priests at his execution, who did they say he claimed to be? God or God’s Son?
Both terms would be correct to adddress Jesus by.
As for why would they call him names and mock him?...well, thats what evil people tend to do to people that are about to kill.
I seem to remember the Romans bending the knee to jesus...before they nailed him to the wooden cross

16. Who did the army officer at his execution say he was? God or God’s Son?
Again, both terms are given to Jesus in the Text, so there is no harm in calling Jesus "The son of God"...or even calling him "friend"

17. Who gave him authority? Who is greater? The one who gives authority, or the one who receives it?
This is a very good question to point out to a JW at the door.
They like to bring up the idea that the Father is "Greater" that the son...
And this is very true.
The Father is greater than the Son...

But they jump the the false idea that this must mean that Jesus was not God...that is the JW error!

The Father is greater than the son
But the Father is not "better" than the son.

Greater means in position
Better means in nature.

The position of the Father is over the son
The nature of the Father and the Son is the same.

18. Why would he say “Abba (papa)…remove this cup from me. Yet not what I want, but what you want?” (Mark 14:36) italics ours
"italics ours"???LOL...someone is just reading to us out of a little book!

19. How could he be tempted to sin by the Devil, since God cannot sin?
Humans can be very much tempted.
Jesus has a 100% human nature, and so he can be very tempted as all humans can.
He faced the same temptations we do, so his advice on what to do means something.

If Jesus could not be tempted as I am, then his advice to me on how to handle a temptation would be meaningless to me.

20. Of what point would it be for Satan to offer the creator of the universe human kingdoms in exchange for worship?
Satan made hisw attack against the human nature of Jesus.
The answer Jesus gives to each temptation is also something that all humans can learn from

21. How could he be God and be with God at the same time?
God is different than anything in creation.
There is no answer to the "how?" question...
We have nothing to look at to compare God too.

Thus it comes down to a matter of faith.
Do you believe John 1:1 or not?

The Word was with God
The Word was God...

22. How could no man ever see God, and yet see Jesus?
Jesus has a human nature too, we saw his human nature

23. What did he say his food was? To do his own will?
Jesus came to do the work of the Father, all humans should do the same

More later...
I wish I could give you a million reps. Bravo! Thank God for giving you the energy to answer all 23 questions. I was too lazy to even try. Amen!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

One of the things I noted during my time in the Kingdom Hall is that when a Christian says "Jesus is God" the JW does not hear it like that.

What the JW hears is slightly different, and you should keep this in mind when you debate the JW at the door.

What the JW hears when a Christian says "Jesus is God" is "Jesus is the Father"?
To the JW this is crazy.

Everytime the Christian says "Jesus is God" all they can hear is a crazy claim that "Jesus is the Father"

One of the things you have to work on the JW with is his or her ability to understand the terms you use as a Christian when you debate them.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 PM

36 posts, read 44,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I wish I could give you a million reps. Bravo! Thank God for giving you the energy to answer all 23 questions. I was too lazy to even try. Amen!!!!!!!
I agree, that was awesome, I just ran across the post, no needto repeat much of the same thing. But just in case I missed it."Let US make man in OUR own image." And I and the Father are ONE, if you have seen me you have seen the Father." I'd love to hear ur take on Revelation.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen4greatness View Post
I'd love to hear ur take on Revelation.
While I have a few views on that book, mostly what I believe is that I have never once heard anyone have a teaching on that book that I felt was even close!...
I believe all the people that try to twist a few current events in the news to appear listed in the Book of Rev, are missing the whole point...
The people that think the Mark Of The beast, is a stamp or a computer chip....are wrong
The people that think we have to be in the last generation...are wrong.
The verse in Rev 12 that goes something like "A spectacular sign appeared in the sky: a woman dressed with the sun, who had the moon under her feet and a victor's crown of twelve stars on her head" seems to me to be talking about some type of astrology, or some type of astrology-means of telling time. So I think it is dealing with the time of the birth of Christ, and likely has nothing to do with his return.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM

7 posts, read 33,490 times
Wonderful! Thank you so much for your answers! And not one single quoted scripture! You wrote EXACTLY what I expected you to write. Amen! I forever withdraw from this discussion, and bow to your superior knowledge of the trinitarian doctrine. I on the other hand, will continue to rely on the Scriptures as they are written.

2 Peter 1:20: "For YOU know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation."

http://magnifyjehovah.com/index.php/...us-christ-god/

Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehovahsservant View Post
Wonderful! Thank you so much for your answers! And not one single quoted scripture! "
actually I quoted the Text many times.

However I noticed that you just copied out of (what was called back in my day) Reasonings or AID little books,
(see "Italics ours"...LOL)

whereas I had to sit and write my own answers from my own heart.

You got a personal answer to every question.
You got MY personal answer to you alone.
writen by me right here and now.

We got a photocopy...
(There is a difference.)

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I forever withdraw from this discussion, ]
Oh by the way...
We are just getting started

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Wonderful! Thank you so much for your answers! And not one single quoted scripture! You wrote EXACTLY what I expected you to write. Amen! I forever withdraw from this discussion, and bow to your superior knowledge of the trinitarian doctrine. I on the other hand, will continue to rely on the Scriptures as they are written.

2 Peter 1:20: "For YOU know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation."

Jesus Christ, God? | MagnifyJehovah.com
I will start a new thread on REasoning from the Scriptures with a JW.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
actually I quoted the Text many times.

However I noticed that you just copied out of (what was called back in my day) Reasonings or AID little books,
(see "Italics ours"...LOL)

whereas I had to sit and write my own answers from my own heart.

You got a personal answer to every question.
You got MY personal answer to you alone.
writen by me right here and now.

We got a photocopy...
(There is a difference.)
I noticed that too Alan, and it's just sad that the average JW can't quote Scripture or discuss an issue without their bible aides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity