Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessif View Post
You can and obviously will contiune to "twist" the truth any way you like to fit Catholicism and even continue to promote false catholic doctrines but true believers will not be deceived because God holds them securely.... THE TRUTH....the PURE TRUTH is in the WORD of GOD ONLY. and other teachings must not "directly contradict" God's Word.....and there will be a day of judgement for those who alter God's Word to fit their traditions and ideas......and teach others to do the same..... Differences in Tradition and Ceremony among Christians are acceptable as long as they are not "unbiblical".......many of your teachings are expressedly contrary to God's word which is the final yardstick......
The Didache: DIDACHE: Teaching of the Twelve Apostles

Provides a very good picture of the early Christians. And contradicts the ideas of the Protestants and shows the early Christians were very "Catholic."

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

Provides a very good picture of the early Christians. And contradicts the ideas of the Protestants and shows the early Christians were very "Catholic."
Sorry but Catholic dogma is just way to farfetch with immacculate conception, calling the Pope, the "holy father"

Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sorry but Catholic dogma is just way to farfetch with immacculate conception, calling the Pope, the "holy father"
Likewise, the Holy Spirit never influenced any of the NT authors to say that we are saved by faith alone. Luther inserted that word into Romans 3 because he felt like it. Also Luther dumped books that didn't agree with his unfounded presuppositions regarding Scripture. I find it amusing that 1500 years later anyone can claim the sucession of people from Jesus' time were doing it wrong.

Mary is the immaculate "Ark" of the New Covenant

Isaiah 66:7 - for example, we see Isaiah prophesying that before she (Mary) was in labor she gave birth; before her pain came upon her she was delivered of a son (Jesus). This is a Marian prophecy of the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.

As far as the Pope

Acts 15:12 - only after Peter (the Pope) speaks do Paul and Barnabas (bishops) speak in support of Peter's definitive teaching.

2 Peter 3:16 - Peter is making a judgment on the proper interpretation of Paul's letters. Peter is the chief shepherd of the flock.

As far as Apostolic succession,

"The Church of God which sojourns in Rome to the Church of God which sojourns in Corinth....If anyone disobey the things which have been said by Him through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in transgression and in no small danger." Pope Clement of Rome [regn. c A.D.91-101], 1st Epistle to the Corinthians, 1,59:1 (c. A.D. 96).

"Thereupon Victor, who presided over the church at Rome, immediately attempted to cut off from the common unity the parishes of all Asia, with the churches that agreed with them, as heterodox; and he wrote letters and declared all the brethren there wholly excommunicate..." Pope Victor I [regn. A.D. 189-198], in Eusebius EH, 24:9 (A.D. 192).

"Stephen, that he who so boasts of the place of his episcopate, and contends that he holds the succession from Peter, on whom the foundations of the Church were laid...Stephen, who announces that he holds by succession the throne of Peter." Pope Stephen I [regn. A.D. 254-257], Firmilian to Cyprian, Epistle 74/75:17 (A.D. 256).

"I beseech you, readily bear with me: what I write is for the common good. For what we have received from the blessed Apostle Peter s, that I signify to you; and I should not have written this, as deeming that these things were manifest unto all men, had not these proceedings so disturbed us." Pope Julius [regn. A.D. 337-352], To the Eusebians, fragment in Athanasius' Against the Arians, 2:35 (c. A.D. 345).

"Why then do you again ask me for the condemnation of Timotheus? Here, by the judgment of the apostolic see, in the presence of Peter, bishop of Alexandria, he was condemned, together with his teacher, Apollinarius, who will also in the day of judgment undergo due punishment and torment. But if he succeeds in persuading some less stable men, as though having some hope, after by his confession changing the true hope which is in Christ, with him shall likewise perish whoever of set purpose withstands the order of the Church. May God keep you sound, most honoured sons." Pope Damasus [regn. A.D. 366-384], To the Eastern Bishops, fragment in Theodoret's EH, 5:10 (c. A.D. 372).

Now bear in mind there was no New Testament for those 300 years. .

If the Roman Catholic church isn't the true church, how is it that they were the one's who ended up with all the documentation that went on to become the New Testement?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM

342 posts, read 540,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Likewise, the Holy Spirit never influenced any of the NT authors to say that we are saved by faith alone. Luther inserted that word into Romans 3 because he felt like it. Also Luther dumped books that didn't agree with his unfounded presuppositions regarding Scripture. I find it amusing that 1500 years later anyone can claim the sucession of people from Jesus' time were doing it wrong.

Mary is the immaculate "Ark" of the New Covenant

Isaiah 66:7 - for example, we see Isaiah prophesying that before she (Mary) was in labor she gave birth; before her pain came upon her she was delivered of a son (Jesus). This is a Marian prophecy of the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.

As far as the Pope

Acts 15:12 - only after Peter (the Pope) speaks do Paul and Barnabas (bishops) speak in support of Peter's definitive teaching.

2 Peter 3:16 - Peter is making a judgment on the proper interpretation of Paul's letters. Peter is the chief shepherd of the flock.

As far as Apostolic succession,

"The Church of God which sojourns in Rome to the Church of God which sojourns in Corinth....If anyone disobey the things which have been said by Him through us, let them know that they will involve themselves in transgression and in no small danger." Pope Clement of Rome [regn. c A.D.91-101], 1st Epistle to the Corinthians, 1,59:1 (c. A.D. 96).

"Thereupon Victor, who presided over the church at Rome, immediately attempted to cut off from the common unity the parishes of all Asia, with the churches that agreed with them, as heterodox; and he wrote letters and declared all the brethren there wholly excommunicate..." Pope Victor I [regn. A.D. 189-198], in Eusebius EH, 24:9 (A.D. 192).

"Stephen, that he who so boasts of the place of his episcopate, and contends that he holds the succession from Peter, on whom the foundations of the Church were laid...Stephen, who announces that he holds by succession the throne of Peter." Pope Stephen I [regn. A.D. 254-257], Firmilian to Cyprian, Epistle 74/75:17 (A.D. 256).

"I beseech you, readily bear with me: what I write is for the common good. For what we have received from the blessed Apostle Peter s, that I signify to you; and I should not have written this, as deeming that these things were manifest unto all men, had not these proceedings so disturbed us." Pope Julius [regn. A.D. 337-352], To the Eusebians, fragment in Athanasius' Against the Arians, 2:35 (c. A.D. 345).

"Why then do you again ask me for the condemnation of Timotheus? Here, by the judgment of the apostolic see, in the presence of Peter, bishop of Alexandria, he was condemned, together with his teacher, Apollinarius, who will also in the day of judgment undergo due punishment and torment. But if he succeeds in persuading some less stable men, as though having some hope, after by his confession changing the true hope which is in Christ, with him shall likewise perish whoever of set purpose withstands the order of the Church. May God keep you sound, most honoured sons." Pope Damasus [regn. A.D. 366-384], To the Eastern Bishops, fragment in Theodoret's EH, 5:10 (c. A.D. 372).

Now bear in mind there was no New Testament for those 300 years. .

If the Roman Catholic church isn't the true church, how is it that they were the one's who ended up with all the documentation that went on to become the New Testement?
How can a church, so guilty of so many atrocities and sins throughout history dare to declare themselves the "true church" and what is even more astounding is how blind some are to believe that lie and continue to defend the lie.........AMAZING.......Numerous contradictions to scripture have been addressed in the thread "Who has left Catholicism and why".....see post #201........Many Catholics are not so blind and foolish and my advise to them is to read and study the BIBLE...ASK GOD to direct your path...... HE will do it.....see for yourselves the contradictions decide for yourselves ......DON'T BE LEAD LIKE BLIND SHEEP......To those who will listen.........see post #89 this thread............DO NOT BE DECEIVED.........

Last edited by Vessif; 01-12-2009 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

How does the Didache prove early Christians were very Catholic?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:09 PM

How do Catholics answer several prophecies that are clearly about the Catholic Church?

II Thessalonians 2
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

That is clearly about the pope claiming to be infallible and having spiritual authority over all men on the earth.

I Timothy 4
Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

The Catholic Church forbids priests from marrying and forbids all meat except fish on Friday

Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
How do Catholics answer several prophecies that are clearly about the Catholic Church?

II Thessalonians 2
Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

That is clearly about the pope claiming to be infallible and having spiritual authority over all men on the earth.
Uh, no.. that is clearly about someone claiming that Christ wasn't the Messiah and that individual was, note the word "Temple" obviously refering to the Temple Mount.

Quote:
I Timothy 4
Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer

The Catholic Church forbids priests from marrying and forbids all meat except fish on Friday
Let's look closer here.

If there was an important enough purpose, Paul recommended permanently giving up marriage and meat.

He himself was celibate (1 Corinthians 7:8), he recommended the same for ministers (2 Timothy 2:3-4), and he recommended it for the unmarried so they can devote themselves more fully to the Lord (1 Corinthians 7:32-34) unless doing so would subject them to great temptations (1 Cointhians 7:9).

He also recommended giving up meat permanently if it would prevent others from sinning (1 Corinthians 8:13).

Paul certainly had nothing against celibacy or giving up meat -- even on a permanent basis -- so long as one wasn't saying that these things are intrinsically evil, which is what he was condemning the "doctrines of demons" passage.

Since the Catholic Church only requires abstinence from meat on a temporary basis, it clearly does not regard meat is immoral. Instead, it regards it as the giving up of a good thing (which in less economically developed regions -- including the whole world until very recently -- was expensive and thus eaten at festive occasions, making it a sign of rejoicing) to attain a spiritual goal.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:42 PM

If the Catholic Church is just like the Early Christians as described in the Didach, then why...

* Did the early Christians take both the Cup and the Bread during the Lords Supper? (but Catholics only take the bread?)

* Why did the Early Christians only pray to Jesus? (but Catholics pray to Mary and other saints?)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,859,963 times
censusdata,
When was the last time you attended a Mass? We have taked the cup and the bread for more years than I can remember........Back in the 60's.

Check out intercessory prayer too.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
How can a church, so guilty of so many atrocities and sins throughout history dare to declare themselves the "true church" and what is even more astounding is how blind some are to believe that lie and continue to defend the lie.........
Paul and Christ himself warned us that there would be a few ravenous wolves among Church leaders (Acts 20:29; Matt. 7:15).

Quote:
AMAZING.......Numerous contradictions to scripture have been addressed in the thread "Who has left Catholicism and why".....see post #201........
Not really, a collection of half truths and half baked interpretations of scripture.

Quote:
Many Catholics are not so blind and foolish and my advise to them is to read and study the BIBLE...ASK GOD to direct your path...... HE will do it.....see for yourselves the contradictions decide for yourselves ......DON'T BE LEAD LIKE BLIND SHEEP......
Where does Scripture demonstrate that all you have to do is study Scripture? For the first 300 years of the New Covenant, Scripture as we know it, didn't exist. What should those folks have done?

Quote:
To those who will listen.........see post #89 this thread............DO NOT BE DECEIVED
The first mark of the True Church is "One". Not 20 thousand (different Protestant sects for example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity