Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
(2 Timothy 3:15–17) "15 and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God..."

Where's your verse because without scripture, then you are the one committing idolatry, you are the one creating a God in your own choosing and making.

But nowhere does it say ONLY Scriputre is useful for teaching et-al.

In fact Paul tells the Thessalonians to hold fast to tradition and scripture

Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Me too!
Okay, but why? Because that's what the Bible tell you to do?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:16 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
But nowhere does it say ONLY Scriputre is useful for teaching et-al.

In fact Paul tells the Thessalonians to hold fast to tradition and scripture
It doesn't say many things but I believe since God calls scripture His word. Let's look at that, "The Word of God". May I ask what else do you need?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, but why? Because that's what the Bible tell you to do?
Because the Bible is the Word of God. I trust it, because it is God's Word. I was Catholic for over 50 years of my life and found that I just didn't trust the church or it's teachings anymore, because men kept changing the rules. God's Word never changes...it's that simple. I don't say this to berate anyone elses beliefs or the Catholic Church. But for me...I'll stick to the Bible.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Because the Bible is the Word of God. I trust it, because it is God's Word. I was Catholic for over 50 years of my life and found that I just didn't trust the church or it's teachings anymore, because men kept changing the rules. God's Word never changes...it's that simple. I don't say this to berate anyone elses beliefs or the Catholic Church. But for me...I'll stick to the Bible.
Fair enough. You've got to go with what you trust.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Fair enough. You've got to go with what you trust.
Thanks...and you too! God bless...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
the problem for me, is that it was the catholic church that assembled the Bible.......the church decided "what was God's Word" and it was decided by people with political motivations that had little to do with God and everything to do with the power structure and maintaining the power status quo. Jesus preached freedom, the church (and it's bible) taught unquestioning blind obedience. Jesus taught compassion, tolerance, and forgiveness, the church (and its bible) sanctioned the Inquisition, the burning of witches, and the invasion of the middle east (the Crusades). The contrast between Jesus' teachings, as contained in the bible and elsewhere, and the actions of the church for the past 2,000 years is stark. Look into the history of man for the past 2,000 years and show me a period of history where, within the Christian community, freedom, compassion, and tolerence ruled......and yet Jesus' ministry was founded on those principles.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
the problem for me, is that it was the catholic church that assembled the Bible.......the church decided "what was God's Word" and it was decided by people with political motivations that had little to do with God and everything to do with the power structure and maintaining the power status quo. Jesus preached freedom, the church (and it's bible) taught unquestioning blind obedience. Jesus taught compassion, tolerance, and forgiveness, the church (and its bible) sanctioned the Inquisition, the burning of witches, and the invasion of the middle east (the Crusades). The contrast between Jesus' teachings, as contained in the bible and elsewhere, and the actions of the church for the past 2,000 years is stark. Look into the history of man for the past 2,000 years and show me a period of history where, within the Christian community, freedom, compassion, and tolerence ruled......and yet Jesus' ministry was founded on those principles.
Well said! Jesus is our example and the holy spirit is our guide . . . not the precepts and doctrines of men.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:22 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Like I said, Sola Scriptura = we should only believe what the Bible tells us, but nowhere does the Bible teach that. Seems like a huge flaw in logic.

Last edited by billb7581; 01-06-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 AM

322 posts, read 737,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
If the Church at Rome had obeyed GOD as written in Revelation, "Come out of her my people", we would not have the Roman Catholic organization. But because many of them did just the opposite and stayed in Rome, the world has Catholics today.

After finishing the Vulgate, Jerome left Rome. I wonder if He knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity