U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,095,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netprophet View Post
Yes I definitely can. I do pray, however, that for a few years, at least, we might be given a sort of respite - a breather or two - from all the disception, distruction, deceit, neurosises, and psychoses that seem to be proliferating daily.

But apart from all this, I wonder what you think of that verse in Revelation (17:9) . . . how have you heard the interpretation to be?
netprophet: When one is careful to place the Revelation in its proper historical setting, he can see how easily the kings can be found in the Roman empire.

Five are fallen
1. Julius Caesar
2. Augustus
3. Tiberious
4. Caius (Caligula)
5. Claudius
One is
6. Nero
The other has not yet come . . . must continue a short time
7. Vitellius, Galba, and Otho ruled for very short periods of time

Babylon is a reference to that first-century world--part of the things which John was shown which were to shortly take place. It is a first-century entity and not of our day!

Preterist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM

94 posts, read 117,951 times
In the belief that all you say has totally been fulfilled, where does that leave the 'return of Jesus Christ'? ..... OR do you believe he has returned in spirit?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:36 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,663,884 times
i dont lose a lot of sleep over it. however the similarity of current human behavior and "the last days" is very sobering. dirtbag has become normal.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:21 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,424,485 times
Default Realizing some things...

In light of Betsy Lanes thread, I went back to retrieve this thread I started back in January of 2009...seems some things are coming to fruition...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,095,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netprophet View Post
In the belief that all you say has totally been fulfilled, where does that leave the 'return of Jesus Christ'? ..... OR do you believe he has returned in spirit?
netprophet: I believe He returned when He said He would (in that first-century generation) and how He said He would--like a thief to those who believed not and in open glory to those who believed.

Those believers of that day expected to be caught up to Him in the air (1 Thes. 4). They expected that he would return to them and take them to be with Him (John 14). They expected to be changed in the twinkling of an eye at the last trump (1 Cor. 15). They expected to be vindicated and given rest at His appearing and that their enemies would be punished (2 Thes. 1).

That is what the Scriptures say. John was shown those things which were in his day to SHORTLY take place; the time for fulfillment of the events of the Revelation were THEN near! Every eye in the context of those tribes of the land of that day and those who pierced Him saw Him. They "saw" Him in the destruction of the city and the Temple. They "saw" Him in the same sense their forefathers saw the judgment of God when their city and Temple were destroyed by the Babylonians.

We were not there. We do not know what people saw and didn't see. We were not there to witness the dead in Christ being taken up together with the living saints to be with the Lord. He and His apostles clearly said that those things were to happen in THAT generation. I believe they actually occurred. I will believe Jesus' words and the words of the apostles through faith and not through empiricism! It is totally unjustified to ignore or define the meaning of clear time statements because we cannot "see" how something could possibly have been fulfilled. Why do we refuse to believe Jesus' own words--"Behold, I am coming SOON!"

In Christ, Preterist

Old 05-23-2009, 07:27 PM

702 posts, read 865,432 times
Keep the text. It's like Ezekiel's vision of the Valley of Dry Bones. "Son of man; can these bones live?" The bones will come together rightly in the time appointed of the Father. We argue before they live. God will put sinews and flesh, hanging substance on the skeletons of what is written. the revelation will be obvious. He will breathe the breath of life into His great army when the time is right. Keep the text, the actual words God chose to make His revelation known.

Look at what is written this way and that. There is truth in the preterist view, things that have happened, but not exclusive of other understandings. He can keep the text itself while sharing what he's gleaned with others. The historicist sees things happening across the church age. He can keep mining the text, the very words of God, comparing and aligning to history. The futurist tries to conceive of things to come. Hopefully he takes the text and holds it to the Light. Keep the words of the Lord. The Holy Spirit takes what the text symbolizes to work on our experience of God.

We should be open to one another while we are faithful to the text. So much antagonism comes from trying to establish an exclusive parallel text as the true meaning. It is the text itself that is true. It is the working of life in fellowship with God and one another that puts the text of God's words to work in our lives. "Jesus...said...'If anyone should be loving Me, he will be keeping My word, and My Father will be loving him, and We shall be coming to him and making an abode with him.'" (Jn 14:23)

Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 PM

Thumbs up Now this is wisdom speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMRohde View Post
Keep the text. It's like Ezekiel's vision of the Valley of Dry Bones. "Son of man; can these bones live?" The bones will come together rightly in the time appointed of the Father. We argue before they live. God will put sinews and flesh, hanging substance on the skeletons of what is written. the revelation will be obvious. He will breathe the breath of life into His great army when the time is right. Keep the text, the actual words God chose to make His revelation known.

Look at what is written this way and that. There is truth in the preterist view, things that have happened, but not exclusive of other understandings. He can keep the text itself while sharing what he's gleaned with others. The historicist sees things happening across the church age. He can keep mining the text, the very words of God, comparing and aligning to history. The futurist tries to conceive of things to come. Hopefully he takes the text and holds it to the Light. Keep the words of the Lord. The Holy Spirit takes what the text symbolizes to work on our experience of God.

We should be open to one another while we are faithful to the text. So much antagonism comes from trying to establish an exclusive parallel text as the true meaning. It is the text itself that is true. It is the working of life in fellowship with God and one another that puts the text of God's words to work in our lives. "Jesus...said...'If anyone should be loving Me, he will be keeping My word, and My Father will be loving him, and We shall be coming to him and making an abode with him.'" (Jn 14:23)
...soooo refreshing to read! Man! Thank you James......THANK YOU JESUS!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 989 times
The Antichrist is a well-known world leader who will rise from the dead [Revelation 17:8].

For more details, go here:
[url=http://www.christconnection.net/id7.html]ANTICHRIST[/url]

Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,299,048 times
I've seen a dvd of Ken Klein speak,and I have to say,he's very convincing and it could very well be true! and yes,it's all based on scripture.so don't knock it till you've seen it! I rented mine from netflix.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:31 PM

...well...it's been a year and 5 months now...since I posted this...

...it could very well be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or