U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,645,073 times
Reputation: 3760

Advertisements

1 John 5:8 and there are three that bear witness on earth, The Spirit,the water, and the blood,and these three agree as one.

I believe we spiritually contact the blood of Christ when we are baptized, and that is the same time we recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is by faith that both of these happen.

If that is not the case, where else do we contact the blood of Christ???

We are buried with Christ, into His death, that is where His blood was shed.

It is also where our sins are washed away, otherwise we are still in our sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,201,321 times
Reputation: 464
Default Just maybe....they're both right

I agree with both twin spin and I love north carolina...and here is why.

I, myself, believe that I must be baptised to have my sins washed away. Therefore, I maintain that I think you must not only believe Jesus died for our sins ---that you must also be cleansed.

However, through the years, I have came to accept that there are different views of the bible. I have came to believe that as long as we have a personal relationship with God that we are going to be in His light. As long as we live within the scriptures and are doing what we truly believe is right then we will be walking with Him. I know sometimes people say things that may make me wonder if I am doing right....but then I open my Bible and find (most of the time) that I am okay.....but I can also see how they think they are okay also...so we're all okay

North Carolina believes that Jesus tells us to be baptised....but doesn't maintain that it is a need for being saved...she is right...it doesn't say that you need to be baptised to be saved in the Bible.

Twin Spin believes you need to be baptised. She is right also...because if she truly thought that you needed to be baptised to be saved and then didn't do it...then what.....we wouldn't be doing right in God's eyes...if we ignored something that we thought would bring salvation.

My intention in this post was to find scripture saying that Baptism was not needed....because some people in our church don't do it because...I really don't know why...as it was something that Jesus said to do. So how do people feel they are okay with God if they are not baptised? We have many long term members in our church who have not been baptised. I don't understand their thought process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,667 posts, read 30,321,712 times
Reputation: 30209
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I agree with both twin spin and I love north carolina...and here is why.

I, myself, believe that I must be baptised to have my sins washed away. Therefore, I maintain that I think you must not only believe Jesus died for our sins ---that you must also be cleansed.

However, through the years, I have came to accept that there are different views of the bible. I have came to believe that as long as we have a personal relationship with God that we are going to be in His light. As long as we live within the scriptures and are doing what we truly believe is right then we will be walking with Him. I know sometimes people say things that may make me wonder if I am doing right....but then I open my Bible and find (most of the time) that I am okay.....but I can also see how they think they are okay also...so we're all okay

North Carolina believes that Jesus tells us to be baptised....but doesn't maintain that it is a need for being saved...she is right...it doesn't say that you need to be baptised to be saved in the Bible.

Twin Spin believes you need to be baptised. She is right also...because if she truly thought that you needed to be baptised to be saved and then didn't do it...then what.....we wouldn't be doing right in God's eyes...if we ignored something that we thought would bring salvation.

My intention in this post was to find scripture saying that Baptism was not needed....because some people in our church don't do it because...I really don't know why...as it was something that Jesus said to do. So how do people feel they are okay with God if they are not baptised? We have many long term members in our church who have not been baptised. I don't understand their thought process.
I don't understand why a Christian would not want to be baptized either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,581 posts, read 21,766,604 times
Reputation: 18158
Sherry, I am one more who believes you should be baptized, because Jesus showed us by example that it was to be done, and didn't the Spirit of God come in the form of a dove and say This is my Son, In whom I am well pleased" after Jesus baptism? I think even God approved of Jesus show of obedience to His Father We are saved by the grace of God, and the blood of Christ..
I think if a person has never been baptized he is still saved, but if it "bothers" him because he hasn't, I think he is getting a "spiritual nudge"
This is just my humble opinion and certainly not meant to refute anyone else's belief

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-01-2009 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,977 posts, read 22,235,838 times
Reputation: 10739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
If most of us are saved through the blood of Jesus Christ, then why do some scriptually believe that they do not need to be baptised? Looking for scripture for reasoning as to why they feel it is not necessary? I know there are scriptures that state you are saved through the blood of Jesus Christ. But what about the scriptures pertaining to baptism?
In my opinion, those scriptures are ignored because people cannot imagine how a loving God would condemn someone to an eternity in Hell simply because they weren't baptized. It's easier to just say that baptism isn't a requirement than it is to try to explain behavior they believe to be unfitting for God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,201,321 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't understand why a Christian would not want to be baptized either.
Thankyou! This is the point I was trying to make....sometimes I just talk tooooo much! Why are there Christians who have not been baptised--- Who have been saved, but not been baptised?

I go to a baptist church now...I know it is continually spoke that baptism is not needed to be saved....my point is....Jesus said to be baptised! Why are so many people okay with having not done what Jesus directly said to do?

Last edited by *sherry*; 01-01-2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,201,321 times
Reputation: 464
Default ignoring scriptures can't be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In my opinion, those scriptures are ignored because people cannot imagine how a loving God would condemn someone to an eternity in Hell simply because they weren't baptized. It's easier to just say that baptism isn't a requirement than it is to try to explain behavior they believe to be unfitting for God.
Hey Katzpur! Nice to see you here.
Hummm....I don't get ignoring scriptures. I understand what you are saying but can't understand how people can just ignore scriptures. So they believe in the rest of what God has to say...just not the baptism part? they don't believe they should do as God says just because they know they aren't going to go to Hell? I would have to take a step back and look at my faith if this is how I came to the conclusion as to why I wasn't doing something that God told me to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,977 posts, read 22,235,838 times
Reputation: 10739
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hey Katzpur! Nice to see you here.
Hummm....I don't get ignoring scriptures. I understand what you are saying but can't understand how people can just ignore scriptures. So they believe in the rest of what God has to say...just not the baptism part? they don't believe they should do as God says just because they know they aren't going to go to Hell? I would have to take a step back and look at my faith if this is how I came to the conclusion as to why I wasn't doing something that God told me to do.
Thanks for the welcome, Sherry! I agree with you. I've just heard so many people get around the issue of baptism that way. They say, "Well, suppose somebody believed in Christ but died before being able to get baptized?" Or, "What about the thief on the cross next to Christ?" Or, "Jesus said we have to be baptized, but He wasn't referring to baptism by water. He was referring to baptism by fire."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Central US
852 posts, read 1,201,321 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
1 John 5:8 and there are three that bear witness on earth, The Spirit,the water, and the blood,and these three agree as one.

I believe we spiritually contact the blood of Christ when we are baptized, and that is the same time we recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is by faith that both of these happen.

If that is not the case, where else do we contact the blood of Christ???

We are buried with Christ, into His death, that is where His blood was shed.

It is also where our sins are washed away, otherwise we are still in our sins.

Hi! Marian,
Being raised Church of Christ...I know where you are coming from...all of your thoughts I can agree with except the part of the Holy Spirit. I too thought at one time that we got this gift by being baptised...however; after further studying I came to the conclusion that it can be felt before being baptised. I found this "proof" in the bible but as of right now the exact scriptures escape me. I am not argueing with what you believe, only trying to explain why my beliefs are not like yours. I am truely respectful of what you believe.

I was raised in a Church of Christ for all my childhood...didn't leave it until I was probably 25 or so. The only reason I left was because of the people who believed that they were the only ones going to heaven. Now, I know not all Church of Christ people believe this, but there was enough in my church to "make me think."

Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,645,073 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
Hi! Marian,
Being raised Church of Christ...I know where you are coming from...all of your thoughts I can agree with except the part of the Holy Spirit. I too thought at one time that we got this gift by being baptised...however; after further studying I came to the conclusion that it can be felt before being baptised. I found this "proof" in the bible but as of right now the exact scriptures escape me. I am not argueing with what you believe, only trying to explain why my beliefs are not like yours. I am truely respectful of what you believe.

I was raised in a Church of Christ for all my childhood...didn't leave it until I was probably 25 or so. The only reason I left was because of the people who believed that they were the only ones going to heaven. Now, I know not all Church of Christ people believe this, but there was enough in my church to "make me think."

Sherry
I think you are refering to Cornelius and his household, which had nothing with the giving of the gift of the Spirit at baptism, that Peter spoke of in his sermon on that day of Pentecost. The baptism that Cornelius and his household recieved, was the same as that which fell upon the disciples before Peter's sermon. It was to show that the Gentiles were also God's chosen people.
The gift of the Spirit at baptism is the earnest of our inheritance, not the miraculous gifts given to the Apostles, Cornelius, and others, plus those who had the laying on the hands of the Apostles.
I think a careful study of all the scriptures about the Spirit will prove this.
The "Church of Christ" did not teach me this...the Bible did!!!!
The baptism of the Holy Spirit was felt, the gift that is given at baptism is not 'felt'. It is a promise, just as all of the promises, they are not felt, they are accepted, and believed.That is what faith is all about...believing what you do not see.

I pray, that you, and all others who feel as you do, will come to the understanding that being saved depends on obedience to the gospel, and thus being added to the church...not to the "Church of Christ" !! The church that Christ purchased with His own blood is not a 'capitalized' word!

BTW, a good many religious groups think they are the only ones going to heaven. How sad that some in the church think only those in a group that worships in a building with "Church of Christ" on it are the only ones that God will save. I think that is a misunderstanding of the hearer. I think even they that say that, mean that only those in the church that Christ purchased with His blood will be saved. God adds to the church those who are being saved, man does not. God never had anyone 'voted' into church either!

I maintain that those who become disgruntled with the church, are disgruntled because they do not find what they are wanting. The church was meant for the strengthening of the saints, and the practicing of the will of God, as well as a people for God's own purpose, and other reasons. It was never meant for entertainment.

Baptism for the remission of our sins is one of the main parts of the will of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top