U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,933 posts, read 21,200,074 times
Reputation: 9465

Advertisements

I don't understand why so many people and religious groups make Biblical salvation so complicated.

The New Testament says--> Belief + Baptism = Salvation

It's safe to say that unbelief + Baptism DOES NOT = Salvation, nor does Belief + No Baptism

It doesn't say at what exact millisecond someone goes from unsaved to saved, but does that really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Canada
589 posts, read 1,351,669 times
Reputation: 253
I have a question... I am baptized but my wife is not and she would like to be baptized. We have approached a Sabbath-keeping church but the Pastor wouldn't do it because we are not members of his church... and we don't want to be... or any other church. Is it acceptable if I baptize her by myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,643,173 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I have a question... I am baptized but my wife is not and she would like to be baptized. We have approached a Sabbath-keeping church but the Pastor wouldn't do it because we are not members of his church... and we don't want to be... or any other church. Is it acceptable if I baptize her by myself?
I do not find any scripture that specifies who can baptize someone, but unless it is for the scriptural reason it is of no use. Are you saying you do not want to be a member of a church??? Not even the one Christ died for?

I have a hard time seeing how anyone can abide in the doctrine of Christ if they are not associated with the body of Christ. Assembling with brethren is part of the doctrine of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Canada
589 posts, read 1,351,669 times
Reputation: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I do not find any scripture that specifies who can baptize someone, but unless it is for the scriptural reason it is of no use. Are you saying you do not want to be a member of a church??? Not even the one Christ died for?

I have a hard time seeing how anyone can abide in the doctrine of Christ if they are not associated with the body of Christ. Assembling with brethren is part of the doctrine of Christ.
The "Church" in the Bible is from the Greek word ikklesia meaning the elect or the "called out ones." They are really the individuals who fear God and obey his Law. The churches I'm referring to are man made organizations or congregations. The Biblical Church/Body of Christ and the traditional Christian churches are not one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 05:28 PM
 
25,084 posts, read 14,309,833 times
Reputation: 41748
I did a Bible Study a while back with a very nice woman who is a member of the Church of Christ and her main goal was to establish by Scripture that water baptism is necessary for salvation. And I cannot dispute the Scriptures or the validity of the Bible study. I argued that there may be circumstances where a person cannot be dunked in the water and since Jesus has already atoned for our sins, the person would be covered. I think some matters have to be resolved personally- u know b/t God and the person. The Word says the Holy Spirit is a teacher. And we don't have all the answers, but if we seek we will find them. Sometimes you say your peace and if it is of God it will stand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,643,173 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The "Church" in the Bible is from the Greek word ikklesia meaning the elect or the "called out ones." They are really the individuals who fear God and obey his Law. The churches I'm referring to are man made organizations or congregations. The Biblical Church/Body of Christ and the traditional Christian churches are not one and the same.
Thank you for the info. I am well aware of who and what the church is. It is also called the body of Christ, and the bride of Christ, amongst other names. And the early members assembled together regularly. The church that Christ gave his life for is still in existance, and still abides by His doctrine, including the assembling together.
Yes, the 'church' is the called out. They are called out from the world. They assemble together as a body to show their love for one another and for Jesus and God.
The 'man made' congregations of Christ's church are men and women who have obeyed the gospel, and assemble together as the early church did. They are no more 'man made' than the early church was.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 AM
 
309 posts, read 446,933 times
Reputation: 99
As a current member of a Church of Christ the one issue I have but respect due to their by-laws is that my wife who was baptized in a Freewill Baptist Church must be re-baptized again in the Church of Christ if she were to become a member due to her not being baptized for the remission of sin and they say that a lot just get baptized to be doing it. I understand this, however my argument to this is the Bible says their is ONE Baptism which is stated in Ephesians 4:5. My question is why do we need a 2nd Baptism if the Bible says their is only One? I know for the remission of sin, but aren't the remissions of your sins only by the Blood of Jesus and Nothing else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,662 posts, read 30,312,090 times
Reputation: 30209
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
As a current member of a Church of Christ the one issue I have but respect due to their by-laws is that my wife who was baptized in a Freewill Baptist Church must be re-baptized again in the Church of Christ if she were to become a member due to her not being baptized for the remission of sin and they say that a lot just get baptized to be doing it. I understand this, however my argument to this is the Bible says their is ONE Baptism which is stated in Ephesians 4:5. My question is why do we need a 2nd Baptism if the Bible says their is only One? I know for the remission of sin, but aren't the remissions of your sins only by the Blood of Jesus and Nothing else?
YES, it is the blood of Jesus and NOTHING else. Baptism is important and should be the next step in a believers life, but we can only get saved once and only need to be baptized ONCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 3,879,810 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
As a current member of a Church of Christ the one issue I have but respect due to their by-laws is that my wife who was baptized in a Freewill Baptist Church must be re-baptized again in the Church of Christ if she were to become a member due to her not being baptized for the remission of sin and they say that a lot just get baptized to be doing it. I understand this, however my argument to this is the Bible says their is ONE Baptism which is stated in Ephesians 4:5. My question is why do we need a 2nd Baptism if the Bible says their is only One? I know for the remission of sin, but aren't the remissions of your sins only by the Blood of Jesus and Nothing else?
Being a member of the church of Christ, I'm assuming you believe baptism is necessary for salvation?

You actually answered yourself. There is one baptism, and it is for the remission of sins. So if your wife was baptized to join the Baptist church, or "just to show others I've already been saved", then that was not the one baptism the NT speaks of.

I would ask your wife why she was baptized. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, all that matters is why SHE says she was baptized. If she says she did it to come into contact with Christ's blood (Rom 6:3-4) and for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38), then I would have her tell that to the elders. That is the one baptism mentioned, so she would not need to be baptized again. However, if she says one of the two things mentioned above, then all she did was get wet, which is why the elders will tell her she needs to be re-baptized for the same reasons the NT teaches.

Yes, only Jesus' blood is what saves, but we come in contact with that blood through baptism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,643,173 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
As a current member of a Church of Christ the one issue I have but respect due to their by-laws is that my wife who was baptized in a Freewill Baptist Church must be re-baptized again in the Church of Christ if she were to become a member due to her not being baptized for the remission of sin and they say that a lot just get baptized to be doing it. I understand this, however my argument to this is the Bible says their is ONE Baptism which is stated in Ephesians 4:5. My question is why do we need a 2nd Baptism if the Bible says their is only One? I know for the remission of sin, but aren't the remissions of your sins only by the Blood of Jesus and Nothing else?

Yes, there is just one baptism. It is the one that Jesus commanded, the one that Peter commanded (and said saves us),the one that is recorded in the book of Acts, the one that Paul spoke of in his epistles.
Yes, it is the blood of Jesus that cleanses one from their sins. That blood is reached in baptism. Where do those who do not understand that think the blood is reached?
When Jesus was crucified, and His side was pierced, both water and blood were shed. It is in the water of baptism that we contact the blood. The water and the blood were shed in His death...we are baptized into His death,and raised to newness of life, in Christ.

Why were the disciples in Ephesus 're-baptized' ? Acts 19.1-5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top