U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM

589 posts, read 1,350,936 times

Advertisements

Thank you Donna Kupp for the explanation. I will go ahead and baptize my wife. It has been several months since we were turned down by the pastor and don't know where to turn to. I think most likely other Christian churches will raise the same condition. My wife and I felt kind of disappointed when we read the Scriptures' account on how the Apostles were able to baptize 3000 people in one day right after they heard the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Why should it be so difficult now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,639,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
These people were given the gift before baptism, though. And what if, just what if, we are given the gift of the Holy Spirit when we believe...and never "lose" it? What if you squander Him?
What they recieved before baptism was the miraculous gifts. I would be very sceptical that anyone recieves the miraculous gifts now, without the laying on of the Apostle's hands. I would really question exactly where these 'gifts' came from.

Faith comes by hearing...not by miraculous gifts.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,200,297 times
Default confidence

Some people on this thread seem to have every bit of knowledge that God has ever given in their hand. Wish I was that confident...wish I knew it all...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,432,410 times
You become born again...still in the flesh...you pray...still in the flesh...you worship...still in the flesh...become Baptized, SUDDENLY you begin to walk in the Spirit...now, sin has no power over your life, no control over your life, there is no place for sin. Rom.8:13...as a result of death to the flesh...we shall die...when the Holy Spirit takes full control of us at that moment Rom.6:6 we experience freedom from sin, our old man is crucified...that we should not serve sin. DANGER...many have not yielded to the Spirit...walking in the Spirit is foreign to them...there is therefore no condemnation to those who are in Christ, (but the rest of this verse which goes uncited many times is)...WHO WALK NOT IN THE FLESH...if the flesh is alive, you are living a lie...there IS condemnation when the flesh is alive. There has to be a death...BAPTISM...they that do mind the things of the flesh are after the things of the Spirit...old nature must die! Rom. 6:12-13 Let not sin therefore reign in your body...yeild yourself unto God, your members unto righteousness...Rom. 6:16 Know ye not...who's servants you are to obey...Amen...Love

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM

322 posts, read 657,952 times
Justa few more words. Only GOD can save. We look for a precise pattern and try to tell others when they're saved. But it happens in the heart by the will of GOD. The pattern is not always the same, but the results are the same for those who are saved.

In Acts (8th ch.?), we see Simeon a magician who "believed" and was baptized. But Peter, in effect, let him know that he was not saved and even hinted that his sin might not be forgiven (though Peter did not say either way). So is the heart really right? This is the question. Only GOD can make the heart right. We should humbly pray to GOD. The magician seems unintrested in prayer and repentance and even ask Peter to pray for him. He should have repented himself.

So there are those out there in the world who have been baptized, but are not saved.

For those who truely have experienced repentance and faith in the LORD JESUS (unlike the magician in Acts), I highly recommend that you be baptized in the name of the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Last edited by joedrsaved; 01-07-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
Justa few more words. Only GOD can save. We look for a precise pattern and try to tell others when they're saved. But it happens in the heart by the will of GOD. The pattern is not always the same, but the results are the same for those who are saved.

In Acts (8th ch.?), we see Simeon a magician who "believed" and was baptized. But Peter, in effect, let him know that he was not saved and even hinted that his sin might not be forgiven (though Peter did not say either way). So is the heart really right? This is the question. Only GOD can make the heart right. We should humbly pray to GOD. The magician seems unintrested in prayer and repentance and even ask Peter to pray for him. He should have repented himself.

So there are those out there in the world who have been baptized, but are not saved.

For those who truely have experienced repentance and faith in the LORD JESUS (unlike the magician in Acts), I highly recommend that you be baptized in the name of the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

In answer to the question which you asked ( and I bolded): Certainly there are those out in the world who have been baptized, but are not saved. God knows those who are being saved. It is up to Him to decide that, not us.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 AM

322 posts, read 657,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
In answer to the question which you asked ( and I bolded): Certainly there are those out in the world who have been baptized, but are not saved. God knows those who are being saved. It is up to Him to decide that, not us.
Thanks for this. I agree.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,904,323 times
All this talk of baptism I've read since coming here has had me searching scripture and seeking God. I KNOW that when I believed and made a commitment to follow Him that I received Him. He flooded through me.

Yes, I was baptized. I felt it was more a public display, a chance to share my joy...but I KNOW I became His when I BELIEVED and COMMITTED.

I love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind. I strive to love my neighbor as myself. Glory to God...He reigns.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
All this talk of baptism I've read since coming here has had me searching scripture and seeking God. I KNOW that when I believed and made a commitment to follow Him that I received Him. He flooded through me.

Yes, I was baptized. I felt it was more a public display, a chance to share my joy...but I KNOW I became His when I BELIEVED and COMMITTED.

I love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind. I strive to love my neighbor as myself. Glory to God...He reigns.

What kind of "public display" was in when the 3,000 were baptized?
How about the Ethiopian eunuch?
And Paul ?
How about the discription of baptism in the 6th chapter of Romans?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,904,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
What kind of "public display" was in when the 3,000 were baptized?
How about the Ethiopian eunuch?
And Paul ?
How about the discription of baptism in the 6th chapter of Romans?
You and I believe differently. I believe Baptism is not a necessity of salvation...and I also believe in the Holy Spirit being given to each of us from the point of salvation. I believe the Holy Spirit stays with each of us.

I think verses from the Bible have gone round and round here...there's nothing more I can give you but encouragement. As you wonder if some of us are deceived by false teachings, you might also look and see if you've been taught false.

My Redeemer lives. Praise God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity