U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,902,165 times

Advertisements

John 1:29-34
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,630,965 times
A thought just came to me...call it the Holy Spirit if you wish...
If baptism is a commandment, and necessary for our salvation (and the scriptures say it is), what better way for Satan to prevent many from being saved than to discredit baptism???

Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM

The problem with that is that I have been given the gift of the Holy Spirit...and have not squandered it out of fear that it is Satan. You should ask the Lord for guidance.

God before man...not man before God.

I gave you a verse that says Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit. It does not get more profound than that.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
The problem with that is that I have been given the gift of the Holy Spirit...and have not squandered it out of fear that it is Satan. You should ask the Lord for guidance.

I gave you a verse that says Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit. It does not get more profound than that.
I've been given the gift of baptism with the evidence of speaking in tongues, etc. But that not the point - as SW is pointing out, it's the baptism that Jesus does - not what John did - that does the work in the believer to put to death the nature of the flesh, which is what the symbol is all about.

The act of water baptism is to make a profession that your life is dedicated to this purpose. My posts have been ignored lately - I hope this one isn't.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I get my guidance through the inspired word of God, as directed. I also pray to God in the way he has directed. He tells us to ask for wisdom, and to get knowledge. Wisdom comes from Him, knowledge comes from knowing the word of God.
The fear of God is the beginnig of knowledge.

Yes, God DID baptized with the Holy Spirit, I was not amongst those on that day of Pentecost who recieved that baptism, or with Cornelius's household when they recieved it, and I do not know of any Apostles now who can lay their hands on me and give it to me!

He will also baptize the wicked with fire. I do not to be among those who get that baptism.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,899,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
He will also baptize the wicked with fire. I do not to be among those who get that baptism.
Marianimark, is there not scripture that says all will be touched with fire? Didn't Jesus say that "except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you."

What does this mean to you?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I get my guidance through the inspired word of God, as directed. I also pray to God in the way he has directed. He tells us to ask for wisdom, and to get knowledge. Wisdom comes from Him, knowledge comes from knowing the word of God.
The fear of God is the beginnig of knowledge.

Yes, God DID baptized with the Holy Spirit, I was not amongst those on that day of Pentecost who recieved that baptism, or with Cornelius's household when they recieved it, and I do not know of any Apostles now who can lay their hands on me and give it to me!

That's why I suggested/encouraged you to take it to the Lord in prayer. He will guide you...through His word. Seek, ask for wisdom and knowledge.

I do not intend to be among those getting the baptism by fire, either.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,015,150 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
My posts have been ignored lately - I hope this one isn't.
I'm letting you know you're not being ignored. That made me a little sad, Elmer.

I always read your posts when I run across them, just don't respond much either because I agree with you or I don't understand what you said.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Marianimark, is there not scripture that says all will be touched with fire? Didn't Jesus say that "except you eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you."

What does this mean to you?

Off Topic

Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That's why I suggested/encouraged you to take it to the Lord in prayer. He will guide you...through His word. Seek, ask for wisdom and knowledge.

I do not intend to be among those getting the baptism by fire, either.
I am afraid I do not get the point of your suggestion, as if I have no knowledge of the scriptures, although I have studied ( for myself) and prayed, ( for myself) for well over 42 years!!!!
I obeyed the gospel when I was 33 years old. I have not been slack in searching the scriptures to see if what I have heard and been taught is the truth.

In the over 42 years that I have been a member of the Lord's church, I have never even thought of turning my back on Him.
I have also researched most of the 'popular' groups that are called 'churches'.

I am not ignorant of either His word or the teachings of others.

There are several religious groups that think God has directed them to their religion, through their prayers. I think not! He does not have a multitude of doctrines!

BTW, I pray quite regularly for all that think they have the answer apart from the word of God. I pray for all who read these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity