Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM

309 posts, read 512,072 times

Advertisements

I do feel that baptism is very important however I feel that if you get saved and you die before you get baptized then you are still saved. The water doesn't save the believing in the Lord Jesus Christ is what saves as in Act 16:31 when Paul and Silas told the jail to " Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your house will be saved" then the jailer took Paul and Silas to be baptized what if he had believed but had died before he was baptized was Paul and Silas's word no good that he and his house would be saved? Then after that the jailer brought them into his house and they rejoiced and ate because he had come to believe in God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I do feel that baptism is very important however I feel that if you get saved and you die before you get baptized then you are still saved. The water doesn't save the believing in the Lord Jesus Christ is what saves as in Act 16:31 when Paul and Silas told the jail to " Believe in the Lord Jesus and you and your house will be saved" then the jailer took Paul and Silas to be baptized what if he had believed but had died before he was baptized was Paul and Silas's word no good that he and his house would be saved? Then after that the jailer brought them into his house and they rejoiced and ate because he had come to believe in God.
He did say that, but notice it goes on to say they spoke to him the word of the Lord...which must have included baptism, since they immediately went out and were baptized. (Note, they didn't wait two weeks til the next scheduled baptism). Also notice, they didn't rejoice til after they were baptized.

What does the rest of the bible say about baptism? Why in every conversion in Acts were they baptized immediately?

I'm very curious as to why you are a member of the cofC, and your wife is a member of the Baptist church. Your beliefs seem to line up more with the Baptists?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
What so many fail to realize is that baptism is included in believing. A believer is not saved until he/she is baptized. Saying you believe, and then refusing baptism for the remission of your sins, is disobedience to the word of God. You are not a believer in the scriptural sense until you repent of your sins, and are baptized to wash them away. You do not recieve the Spirit as a guarantee of your inheritance until you are buried in baptism.

I wonder how many in the New Testament died before they could be baptized??? I find no record of that happening. As Jamie said, they were taken immediately and baptized. Constantly dredging up the dying of someone before they can be baptized, and making it sound like a common occurance, is just another cop-out. If it ever does happen, God will take care of that...not us. I believe it is highly unlikely that it would ever happen to a sincere believer. If it should happen, it was because God knew their heart. I do not think He would let that happen to a true believer.

Denominations that wait until they have several to be baptized, before they perform the baptisms, are doing that contrary to the scriptures. They are not abiding in the doctrine of Christ.....neither is being baptized to join a denomination.

Actually, all this talk about being baptized is of no use to those who choose not to abide by the teachings of the inspired scriptures. Being baptized correctly, for the right reason, is of little use if one is not going to continue in the New Covenant teachings.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM

309 posts, read 512,072 times
My wife was a member of a Freewill Baptist and I am/was a member of a Church of Christ before we even met. IMO I feel that the Church of Christ is so caught up on tradition now I know that most churches are filled with tradition but in the one I'm in is very traditional and we worry more about pleasing others in the church than pleasing God. I feel that you need to get baptized just not that it is essential if you die before you can get baptized now im not saying wait months or years but you dont have to go jump straight in the water IMO. My beliefs dont fit in with Baptist either as I am more Pentecostal as I believe in Speaking of Tongues and letting the Lord guide you in service instead of having everything scripted out like a planner. I feel that there is something that some fail to realize just being immersed into water doesn't wash away the sin the blood of Jesus washed it away when you asked for forgiveness and confessed him to be your Lord and Savior.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
I agree with Marianinark. Baptism is important or else why would God sent John the Baptist ahead of Jesus for the sole purpose of baptizing him? I don't know what, but I feel there must be a consequence for not being baptized.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM

322 posts, read 737,834 times
We enter into the promises of GOD through faith. When we believe in JESUS CHRIST, we are then saved. GOD saves us by giving us the gift of faith in JESUS CHRIST.

Now, empowered with faith in JESUS CHRIST, we are empowered with the death, burial, and ressurection of JESUS CHRIST in the gift of water baptism, in the name of JESUS CHRIST. Now being ressurected, we are born again. Now being a new born child of GOD, we are given the gift of the HOLY SPIRIT.

There is much more to be said about all this, but any way, thanks for the question. It's a good one.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM

302 posts, read 553,783 times
Default Christ Is Not Divided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
I have a question... I am baptized but my wife is not and she would like to be baptized. We have approached a Sabbath-keeping church but the Pastor wouldn't do it because we are not members of his church... and we don't want to be... or any other church. Is it acceptable if I baptize her by myself?
Go ahead and baptize your wife.

Christ Is Not Divided!

Jesus said: "My mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and DO IT." Luke 8:21 RSV

"For whoever DOES THE WILL of my Father in heaven is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matthew 12:50 RSV

If we truly obey The Ten Commandments, the moral precepts of the Law of Moses, and the teaching of Jesus, then we are brothers and sisters in Christ. --and we have a duty to lay down our lives for one another.

Instead of using those words of Jesus to discern the brothers and sisters of Christ, some sabbath keepers have departed from the gospel that Jesus and the apostles preached. Their unsound doctrines create another gospel and cause divisions and strife as they lift up their leaders and organization. Only God knows how many people have rejected the seventh-day sabbath because of their heresies and carnality.

Paul said these words to the people who created factions by saying: "I am of ..." by showing that Christ is not divided:

"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. ... Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name." 1 Corinthians 1:10-15

Here, Paul calls the people who say "I am of ..." carnal:

"For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
1 Corinthians 3:3

The church will soon come to spiritual maturity when we can say: "We are labourers together with God."

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
What to make of Acts 10:43-48? Some say only the apostles were given the Holy Spirit. Some say you must believe then baptized before receiving the Holy Spirit. There are so many different beliefs with Biblical backup. But in those verses, first they hear about Jesus from Peter, then the Holy Spirit came upon them (they were really shocked because they were Gentiles), and then they were baptized.

Is there really a definitive order that is clear to everyone?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
What to make of Acts 10:43-48? Some say only the apostles were given the Holy Spirit. Some say you must believe then baptized before receiving the Holy Spirit. There are so many different beliefs with Biblical backup. But in those verses, first they hear about Jesus from Peter, then the Holy Spirit came upon them (they were really shocked because they were Gentiles), and then they were baptized.

Is there really a definitive order that is clear to everyone?
'The gift' ( singular) of the Spirit is given at baptism. That is not the miraculous gifts (plural) that came on the Apostles, Cornelius's household, and all that the Apostles layed hands on, it is a seal that we have inherited the kingdom of God. It is called the 'earnest of our inheritance'. It could loosely be called a 'down payment'.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
'The gift' ( singular) of the Spirit is given at baptism. That is not the miraculous gifts (plural) that came on the Apostles, Cornelius's household, and all that the Apostles layed hands on, it is a seal that we have inherited the kingdom of God. It is called the 'earnest of our inheritance'. It could loosely be called a 'down payment'.
These people were given the gift before baptism, though. And what if, just what if, we are given the gift of the Holy Spirit when we believe...and never "lose" it? What if you squander Him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity