U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,430,016 times

Advertisements

I sold a car to a guy, who I wanted to help..........maybe some would say I was playing God.......Gave him a real good deal......got him a job....found him a nice place to stay Cheap. I Enjoyed listening to his B.S. But here is the twist........He didn't make the payment and disappeared. So a year went by and he calls. Not to clear the debt but he asked me to hand over the Title. I refused . He wanted the title so he could trade or repair it or something. What should I have done. I did not want a profit , just wanted the give a guy a boost.........remember this is a Christian thread. Thanks to all Part B 1-1-2009 this after noon I posted a thread. The responses racked up......JUST TRYING TO ENGAGE........i AM SURE i DID SOME THING WRONG i WAS Excited to watch the comments and to push peoples thinking.........the thread got closed /what should I have done? May be I was too something....tell me it is okay.I am a big boy. look at the thread under relationships.......don't believe in the Devil?

Last edited by bluescityleon; 01-01-2009 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,736,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I sold a car to a guy, who I wanted to help..........maybe some would say I was playing God.......Gave him a real good deal......got him a job....found him a nice place to stay Cheap. I Enjoyed listening to his B.S. But here is the twist........He didn't make the payment and disappeared. So a year went by and he calls. Not to clear the debt but he asked me to hand over the Title. I refused . He wanted the title so he could trade or repair it or something. What should I have done. I did not want a profit , just wanted the give a guy a boost.........remember this is a Christian thread.
We are to forgive but we are not doormats. If you are holding the title to spite him then that is wrong because that is for God but if he has not made the payments then you are well within your rights to keep it and not be fooled again.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:45 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,930,942 times
If you are the loan holder, so to speak, no bank gives the title to the lendee until the last payment is made.

When I first read the thread, my first reaction was that no one could be too forgiving. This has nothing to do with forgiveness, it is business and you hold the title. If you are smart, you will keep the title until the person pays the money owed you. You have been nice to him and he is treating you like a "patsy." You now have the opportunity to teach him to be honest. Letting him be dishonest is not doing him a favor.

Is this car title still in your name? Have you thought about what would happen if he wrecks it, etc. Does he have insurance and if so how did he get it. Just because one is a Christian does not mean they don't need to protect themselves. You may need more than an opinion on a forum.

Last edited by NCN; 01-01-2009 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are the loan holder, so to speak, no bank gives the title to the lendee until the last payment is made.

When I first read the thread, my first reaction was that no one could be too forgiving. This has nothing to do with forgiveness, it is business and you hold the title. If you are smart, you will keep the title until the person pays the money owed you. You have been nice to him and he is treating you like a "patsy." You now have the opportunity to teach him to be honest. Letting him be dishonest is not doing him a favor.

Is this car title still in your name? Have you thought about what would happen if he wrecks it, etc. Does he have insurance and if so how did he get it. Just because one is a Christian does not mean they don't need to protect themselves. You may need more than an opinion on a forum.
... Thanks for the post................we think pretty close,cars are tricky and Like My pop used to say.its really hard to help people.........Maybe this would be like throwing pearls to Swine, and giving at the wrong time in the wrong way , maybe the wrong reason. A mistake for which I need to repent.........

Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:

if you have time re read my first post........

Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,029,818 times
Ahhh, a giving soul once again gets taken advantage of. That is the way of the world now, Leon, but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. My heart goes out to you because I've done the same thing and the same thing happened. But I did it twice.

I can only tell you what I do now, after hard lessons learned. I never had anything to give to begin with, so my credit got ruined over other people. You give your time and your love. A warm place to sleep, a hot meal or help getting a job. If the person is not satisfied and grateful for that, then that's not what they really want anyway. Money or anything of monetary value should never come into play. No hand outs, just a hand up.

I'll go back and read the thread you mentioned.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Ahhh, a giving soul once again gets taken advantage of. That is the way of the world now, Leon, but that doesn't mean you did anything wrong. My heart goes out to you because I've done the same thing and the same thing happened. But I did it twice.

I can only tell you what I do now, after hard lessons learned. I never had anything to give to begin with, so my credit got ruined over other people. You give your time and your love. A warm place to sleep, a hot meal or help getting a job. If the person is not satisfied and grateful for that, then that's not what they really want anyway. Money or anything of monetary value should never come into play. No hand outs, just a hand up.

I'll go back and read the thread you mentioned.
Yes , It happens all the time to people all over......to help is like war.
need good intell...and courage.........Courage to look them in the eye and and say.........love ya ma.....hate this miss you are in. I agree no hand outs......I worked a cheese handout one time,and found some were trading at the local Barr that served CHEese burgers

Old 01-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the input........This incident was years ago,,,,but I thought about it because i was hoping my friend would stop being so nice to strangers and family,,,,,,,,,,one street corner begger had a gun........and some family members have done worse.....mind control over family........now I am learning,deprograming, as it were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or