Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post

the words Jesus spoke, I fell they're non negotiable.

And non-denominational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
And non-denominational.
Best one-liner in a long time

Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:

i have looked back and notice that i have found peace sometimes by going to mass on a weekday. there you find only mostly elderly retired folks. most of them living out there years in faith sensing the end is near.
Just so you know, quite a few young people my age (college age) also go to daily Mass.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:17 PM

307 posts, read 479,421 times
I'm also a 'lapsed' Catholic. I seem to have wandered all the ways of the world in the last thirty years. Every now and again I go into my church, the one I was baptised in, the one my parents were married in, the one that was next door to the RC school I attended (until the 150 year old school was demolished last year). Every single time I sit in there, when it is silent and empty, I cry. It's like a huge release and I leave feeling drained but at peace. Now why is that?

I long for the communion and togetherness that I knew long ago. I need healing and comfort that comes from familiar and dear things.

I hope and believe that God understands my inner thoughts (of course He does) and is leading me in the paths of righteousness and peace.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,742 times
Quote:
here's the story, i travel alot and am isolated from my family... I have been saved for over 10 years... Was raised roman catholic.. I have visted so many churches over the years...

I have looked back and notice that i have found peace sometimes by going to mass on a weekday. There you find only mostly elderly retired folks. Most of them living out there years in faith sensing the end is near.

First, i find that the celebration of the eucharist i still a wonderful ritual to behold. I have also seen and heard many of the commentaires on catholicism and of course heard the debate that mary cannot be a coredemptrix with jesus christ.

Also, lately, i am aliented form my protestant church because i find the constant message of tithing and fundraising flat out wrong with scripture. Everyobdy wants to use malachi and deuteronomy 14, but they're missing the point... Jesus nailed the handwriting requirements of the law...to the cross..paul preached this non stop.

And in mark 12:41 and in luke 18 , he often condemned the pharisees and their tithing because they were blind (spiritually) and didn't get it.

Question: This peace i get from mass, is it god bringing me back to my roots with much more knowledge and faith? I know the new covenant and i won't be bound by some pastor telling that 10% of gross and not net is the pathway to closeness with god. That's what the church brochure said..this is a presbyterian church... I am repulsed by it, but i support heart felt giving like the poor widow in mark 12

i feel like when did yesterday that maybe i have come full circle and god is bringing back to the fold and with much more understanding.

The easy believism of today is polluted by " the prosperity gospel" and all the hucksters. I can find truth and holiness in the ritual of the mass.

What am i missing? Also, i check the opinions at the door of religious doctrine and just say, god be merciful to me a sinner....
you need the word of god not religion. Read gods word and ask him to show you the truth and be open to what he says

Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM

342 posts, read 540,638 times
Dave I was raised Catholic and am now a non denominational christian in a bible based church....I left Catholicism approx 8 years ago but it was a gradual process and I did not make a snap decision..........my immediate family chooses to remain Catholic..... I have many Catholic family members and friends and love them dearly and on occasion I will attend mass with them.......The church I attend does not collect tithes especially duiring the service.....and yet many people give in our church; but the elders never pressure us to tithe.....we should give with a generous spirit and according to our means.......My only concern for you is that you are not swayed into old beliefs and religious ritual.....at this point you have more Bibilical discernment.....Keep reading God's Word and share it with your Catholic brothers in a gentle humble way......You seem to love the Lord and want to draw close to Him.......Maybe he is drawing you to teach someone else..........but be careful............Stand firm to what you believe and don't add or subtract from it......Remember the Bible is the Word of God and his Word is the only Truth.........Remember the TRUE CHURCH is not a demomination,and not incense or gold.....Holiness has been imparted to you already when you Trusted in Jesus ALONE......I think you may need to find a Church and a church family.........get involved .......do not base your decisions on feelings as feelings can vary often

Last edited by Vessif; 01-18-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity