U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 AM

381 posts, read 665,420 times

Advertisements

here's the story, i travel alot and am isolated from my family... i have been saved for over 10 years... was raised roman catholic.. i have visted so many churches over the years...

i have looked back and notice that i have found peace sometimes by going to mass on a weekday. there you find only mostly elderly retired folks. most of them living out there years in faith sensing the end is near.

first, i find that the celebration of the eucharist i still a wonderful ritual to behold. i have also seen and heard many of the commentaires on catholicism and of course heard the debate that Mary cannot be a coredemptrix with Jesus christ.

also, lately, I am aliented form my protestant church because I find the constant message of tithing and fundraising flat out wrong with scripture. everyobdy wants to use malachi and deuteronomy 14, but they're missing the point... Jesus nailed the handwriting requirements of the law...to the cross..Paul preached this non stop.

and in mark 12:41 and in Luke 18 , he often condemned the pharisees and their tithing because they were blind (spiritually) and didn't get it.

question: this peace I get from mass, is it God bringing me back to my roots with much more knowledge and faith? I know the New covenant and I won't be bound by some pastor telling that 10% of gross and not net is the pathway to closeness with God. that's what the church brochure said..this is a presbyterian church... I am repulsed by it, but I support heart felt giving like the poor widow in mark 12

i feel like when did yesterday that maybe I have come full circle and God is bringing back to the fold and with much more understanding.

The easy believism of today is polluted by " the prosperity gospel" and all the hucksters. I can find truth and holiness in the ritual of the mass.

what am i missing? also, I check the opinions at the door of religious doctrine and just say, God be merciful to me a sinner....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:10 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,594,326 times
Nice to know that I am not the only one who feels this way. God knows your heart, rejoice in that.

Last edited by Mt-7; 01-03-2009 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: spelling.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,214,942 times
I think you have put a lot of thought into this issue. I see nothing wrong with going back to mass or even the Catholic church as a born again believer. God knows your heart and you are listening with ears that hear God's message through the mass. Maybe God would use you in a wonderful way to share your personal relationship with Christ with others.
Or you might want to church hop some and find a group that fits you.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:27 AM

13,463 posts, read 21,210,344 times
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum..I have read your other posts and you seem to have a wonderful understanding of scripture and your faith sounds strong..We all come upon a few "bumps" now and then in our journey of faith..I think you are reaching a new level of understanding and sometimes that brings a bit of unrest because we fear change..I solved my unrest by asking for guidance of the holy spirit..sometimes we have a hard time putting our trust in something our humaness can't see, hear or touch...and sometimes we finally realize that it was the "spirit" directing us all the while we were busy questioning, and not "hearing"...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:41 AM

2,529 posts, read 3,792,922 times
Definitely keep praying. You'll know what you need to do.

I would run far far away from any church that teaches you must tithe. Especially one that points out that tithing is gross, not net.

The NT says give as you prosper. Giving is between you and God...only.

God bless you as you search!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 AM

thank all of you.. as i reflected yesterday, i realized that at three or four points in my life even when i was lost as a sinner, somehow i found myself seeking the holiness of that eucharistic celebration. it just seems more reverent than the grapejuice and the "suits' that act as pastors.

when I see the priest sing the last part "through Him, with Him, in the untiy of the Holy spirit, all Glory and honor is your almighty Father, forever and ever.''

I sense this being a praise acceptable unto God..

I must say the discouragement I feel from watching a church sanction " legalized salvation to the highest bidder appalling. You can't preach Christ and Him crucified qwithout reading every letter Paul sent to the early churches and seeing how he led his flock.

I know I will be guided by the Holy spirit and am listening to hear that quiet voice tell me..

aren't we all on that same journey? Isn't what God meant by following Him? I'm searching to live and understand the sacred truths that will me enter into His presence.

I have a freind who is sick with terminal cancer but is working and living fine now. it is incurable prostate and I think it is under control but incurable. anyway, he delved into his soul and we both read and talked about John Macarthur's book the Gospel according to Jesus. The writer really cracks down on this "name it and claim it" or "easy believism"
message that requires you buy this 58 dollar series for How to live better.. etc etc ad infinitum..

I am rejecting this heresy( the name it and claim it). we all suffer even as sinners. these people preach easy livin once you've asked Jesus to be your savior and nothing else.

I thank you for discussing this and i am glad to have found a place to chat with other loving brothers and sisters in Christ who understand where I am at... Peace to you and Grace!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,050,917 times
I have often heard that the best Catholics are those who have returned to the Church after an absence.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,987,341 times
I don't like the prosperity gospel teaching either. I'm a former Catholic, and I can tell you that you'll find preaching on tithing in Catholic churches too. Worse than that, I come from a long line of Catholic clergy. A few of them willed what money that had saved to my family, but the diocese decided how much of it we actually got to keep. They basically took whatever it is they felt they should have first for whatever reason and gave the rest to us. My parents are strong Catholics, and I remember how truly disappointed they were in this. They felt as though the church had stolen what was rightfully theirs.

The Catholic church does some wonderful things with the money they have, but there are things they do to raise money that I don't agree with at all. And I'm sure other denominations do it, too, but off the top of head I can't name any right now. One is their annual dinners. It's advertised on a huge sign outside of the church and costs about what it would to eat the same thing in a restaurant. I personally don't agree with ANY church raising money buy selling things to non-members or even non-believers. I know in many aspects a church is a business, but this is just too businessy for my taste (again, I know other churches do this). I like the way our church does dinners. They're open to anyone and everyone and they are fully funded by the church at NO CHARGE to those who choose to attend. It's just a free meal for believers and even non-believers who may choose to join. Bingo is another one that bothers me not so much because it's gambling but because of those who lose their last few bucks hoping to win at this game. I just think it takes advantage of people, and it can cause someone with a gambling addiction to stumble, which makes the churches who hold Bingo events partially responsible. The last one was the Shriners who would set up a ticket booth at school fun-fairs and the big advertised dinners. Even though gambling is illegal under a certain again, they along with the church turned a blind eye when it came to selling their tickets to anyone of any age. I bought them on a regular basis starting at the age of 6, and I'm sure if it was happening in my church it was happening in many others.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. The Catholic church may not be as in-your-face as some churches when it comes to prosperity teaching, but they have their immoral ways of making money too. It's not just a non-Catholic thing.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,594,326 times
One reason I was drawn to the Catholic church was the intimacy of the Eucharistic. I am also attracted to their stands on issues. All religions raise money and the catholic church has some bad karma in years past but what are we really going to mass for? communion with the heavenly father. Isn't it nice that no matter where you go in the world the mass is familiar.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 AM

i agree toally. I think what is ought the other day having spent new years alone was just that i wanted to go where there was reverence, a sense of holiness. and in the short homily, the priest talked about the gospel

what has drawn me to the evangelical church was bible based teaching. i realize that every church will have its dogma, but I discard that and listen to the gospel, then to paul. i certainly like many of the "lessons" old testament heroes learned.

I don't know abouy you but when I read the words Jesus spoke, I fell they're non negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or