U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,643,879 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
John 20:27
Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."

Do you think Thomas was touching a spirit or flesh?

Resurrection, reincarnation.
A rose by any other name.
Technically Thomas was touching both. Christ had risen/resurrected into His 'spiritual body' which was now flesh and bone, not flesh and blood, ( Luke 24:39) however He will not change again into another body i.e reincarnation. Resurrection and reincarnation are NOT the same thing. When Jesus changed He remained the same 'person'...Jesus Christ the Lord, God in the flesh, King of kings, etc etc., not a 'new' or 'another being.' When we are resurrected i.e changed from corruptible to incorruptable we will still be the same 'being', not a totally new being as reincarnation teaches.

Last edited by mshipmate; 01-22-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: All around the world.....
2,886 posts, read 7,506,116 times
Reputation: 1048
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Anyone else feel the same?


We as erue believers are not supposed to walk by feelings, but by Faith in the true and living word of God
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, But my word will remain" (paraphrased)
If it's not it's word, Repent, be careful of the "Great Falling Away" don't get caught up in it..
God Bless You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Reputation: 7870
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Romans 1:19-20 "For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see His invisible qualities, His eternal power and divine nature. So they have not excuse whatsoever for not knowing God".
Because He is a just, loving, fair God, all people have been born with an inner sense of what God requires. No one can stand before God and say I didn't know.
Interesting, so we don't have to know about Jesus and such just an instinctive belief in a higher power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Midwest
31,375 posts, read 19,628,377 times
Reputation: 7870
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Missionaries are needed to sensitively explain sin and point people to Jesus. Missionaries help by sharing God's Word and pointing out the dangerous consequences of their actions, and we should do this whether it's with people next door, or in another country. God knows how much truth a person has heard, I believe He will judge fairly.
Yeah, and then the religious wars start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
 
4,510 posts, read 4,115,265 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I am not exactly sure what you mean in the places I have high-lighted? Could you expound a bit more? thxs.
I guess I am saying that I do believe that our souls have been placed into this human body, in order to accomplish something, and that I am open to it happening more than once. I don't believe in the human spirit going into other animal or plant species.
Jesus was Spirit becoming flesh, in order to guide our spirits that became flesh. The body is temporary, while our spirits are 'bits of God', therefore eternal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,640 posts, read 30,253,245 times
Reputation: 30179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Interesting, so we don't have to know about Jesus and such just an instinctive belief in a higher power.
This verse is talking about the people who are not fortunate enough to grow up in a country where we are free to talk about God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 07:35 AM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,643,879 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I guess I am saying that I do believe that our *souls have been placed into this human body, in order to accomplish something, and that I am open to it happening more than once. I don't believe in the human spirit going into other animal or plant species.
Jesus was Spirit becoming flesh, in order to guide our spirits that became flesh. The body is temporary, while our spirits are 'bits of God', therefore eternal.
OIC. I will comment on the high-lighted parts and also your last remark that is underlined.

First the word *soul...

*soul. What is our soul? Many years ago I was taught the following: We are a 'trinity'..."body, soul, and spirit," and the body is the 'flesh' part, the soul is our 'mind, will, and emotions' and our 'spirit' is our conscience.
Sounds good, right? Well I thought so till I began to delve into what the Bible says and I discovered something very important about our soul and spirit.

*soul (noun)Greek #5590. psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit,
5594.(verb) psucho psoo'-kho a primary verb; to breathe.

#5315 (noun) Hebrew nephesh neh'-fesh from 5314; properly, a breathing creature.
5314 (verb)naphash naw-fash' a primitive root; to breathe. Continuing...

Then I began to see what the Bible says about the word 'soul'. As I'm sure you know there are many verses. Too many to post here so here are just a couple of examples:

Mat 2:20 Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's *life. (#5590)

Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his *life (#5590)for my sake shall find it.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to *kill the soul: (#5590)but rather fear him which is able to destroy *both soul and body in hell.

Eze 18:4 Behold, *all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: *the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

So then I had to ask myself, "if our 'soul' IS only our 'mind, will and emotions' why would God say, "all souls are mine" (all 'minds' are mine?).

And can a 'mind, will and emotion' sin? Or can a 'mind will and emotion' be destroyed in the lake of fire? Something didn't fit here.

spirit #4151(noun)Greek pneuma pnyoo'-mah from 4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze.Compare 5590.
5590. psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit,

4154. (verb) Greek pneo pneh'-o a primary word; to breathe hard, i.e. breeze:--blow. Compare 5594. (see above.) So what's your conculsion here as to our soul and spirit?

Hmmm...why do you say Jesus was Spirit, and our spirits become flesh? And while our spirits are 'bits of God'?

Anyway, I'm guessing (??) you want to believe in reincarnation because of 'getting a second chance'...correct? I can understand that, but when one understands what the word 'hearing' means in Romans 10:17 it gives a better understanding about a second chance. It means 'to hear with understanding.' The 'experts' claim the gospel has gone out to the whole world (I have my doubts because of passages such as Matthew 10:18) BUT if it is true is begs the question, "did 'they' hear it with understanding?" I believe that's what the Millineum is for. (not a second chance, but a first one. ) Another subject for another time.

That's enough for now since this is already rather long.

Last edited by mshipmate; 01-23-2009 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 PM
 
4,510 posts, read 4,115,265 times
Reputation: 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
OIC. I will comment on the high-lighted parts and also your last remark that is underlined.

First the word *soul...

*soul. What is our soul? Many years ago I was taught the following: We are a 'trinity'..."body, soul, and spirit," and the body is the 'flesh' part, the soul is our 'mind, will, and emotions' and our 'spirit' is our conscience.
Sounds good, right? Well I thought so till I began to delve into what the Bible says and I discovered something very important about our soul and spirit.

*soul (noun)Greek #5590. psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit,
5594.(verb) psucho psoo'-kho a primary verb; to breathe.

#5315 (noun) Hebrew nephesh neh'-fesh from 5314; properly, a breathing creature.
5314 (verb)naphash naw-fash' a primitive root; to breathe. Continuing...

Then I began to see what the Bible says about the word 'soul'. As I'm sure you know there are many verses. Too many to post here so here are just a couple of examples:

Mat 2:20 Saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and go into the land of Israel: for they are dead which sought the young child's *life. (#5590)

Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his *life (#5590)for my sake shall find it.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to *kill the soul: (#5590)but rather fear him which is able to destroy *both soul and body in hell.

Eze 18:4 Behold, *all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: *the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

So then I had to ask myself, "if our 'soul' IS only our 'mind, will and emotions' why would God say, "all souls are mine" (all 'minds' are mine?).

And can a 'mind, will and emotion' sin? Or can a 'mind will and emotion' be destroyed in the lake of fire? Something didn't fit here.

spirit #4151(noun)Greek pneuma pnyoo'-mah from 4154; a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze.Compare 5590.
5590. psuche psoo-khay' from 5594; breath, i.e. (by implication) spirit,

4154. (verb) Greek pneo pneh'-o a primary word; to breathe hard, i.e. breeze:--blow. Compare 5594. (see above.) So what's your conculsion here as to our soul and spirit?

Hmmm...why do you say Jesus was Spirit, and our spirits become flesh? And while our spirits are 'bits of God'?

Anyway, I'm guessing (??) you want to believe in reincarnation because of 'getting a second chance'...correct? I can understand that, but when one understands what the word 'hearing' means in Romans 10:17 it gives a better understanding about a second chance. It means 'to hear with understanding.' The 'experts' claim the gospel has gone out to the whole world (I have my doubts because of passages such as Matthew 10:18) BUT if it is true is begs the question, "did 'they' hear it with understanding?" I believe that's what the Millineum is for. (not a second chance, but a first one. ) Another subject for another time.

That's enough for now since this is already rather long.
Probably the verse that fits my idea of 'soul' is this:
Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to *kill the soul: (#5590)but rather fear him which is able to destroy *both soul and body in hell.

The soul to me is the part of God that dwells within us and makes humans different from the angels or animals. 'Man in God's image' is another way of saying this. Not that I am saying we are all 'gods' like the gnostics might claim. I see our soul as same as our spirit. I know that many will come up with a lengthy discourse on the differences between the two, and cite all sorts of verses, etc, but it is how I see it, and there is no man who knows anything for certain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,586 posts, read 5,490,821 times
Reputation: 579
As a Christian I dont believe in reincarnation, because it is not biblical. God said that we must believe his word, but reincarnation is not in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,405 posts, read 10,074,334 times
Reputation: 5916
Didnt take time to read the whole thread, so begging eveyone's pardon if this has already been mentioned.

Another scripture reference that refutes reincarnation is in the story of David and Bathsheeba. After the son that was born out of David's adulterous affair with Bathsheeba became ill and Nathan the profit exposed David's sin, David grieved for healing for the baby. After the baby died, he stopped his grieving and said this. The reference is 2 Samuel 12:23

"But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

There is a clear understanding in all of scripture that man is given one life on this earth, then life eternal, either with the Lord or apart from him.

If reincarnation were part of God's plan, would not the scripture not only specify very clearly that it isn't, but wouldn't it give examples and speak of it directly?

I don't understand why so many try to make the bible say things it doesn't. Scripture is extremely clear about these points. Wanting to cut and paste certain scriptures and delete others is a completely self absorbed exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top