U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,754,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If the Bible was changed by men, then many of the prophecies should of failed. Yet this has not been the case. And if God is the true author of the Bible, it would be hard to imagine that he could create the universe, but could not get His Book to read correctly.
The words were handed down. I am not disputing the Bible but you have to take that into consideration. John tells Mary a story; Mary tells Bob the same story but by the time Joe gets it, it's entirely different. I believe in the Bible and because I do believe in reincarnation does not mean I am not of the Christian faith. NO man or woman knows the exact truth. What matters is that we live our lives with faith, love, helping others and believing in the Almighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It doesn't sound like you believe the Bible, it was inspired by God, not men, 2 Timothy 3:16, it was not written by men, There is nothing missing from it, everything we need is there. And God certainly has the power to keep it free from error. Reincarnation is not taught in the Bible.
God gave the words for man to "write" is what I meant. I do believe in the Bible so do not "assume" that I don't.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
My definition is a return of the soul into another human fetus. I somewhat believe in the idea of 'Karma', where your next live reflects the results of how you behaved in the prior life, or 'lessons' you need to work on.
I really don't know, no one does.

Exactly. We all have our own beliefs.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Mine stare at me because they want me to feed them, or let them out to do their thing.
Ah, now is it right to poke fun at someone else's beliefs? How Christian is that?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,890,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
The words were handed down. I am not disputing the Bible but you have to take that into consideration. John tells Mary a story; Mary tells Bob the same story but by the time Joe gets it, it's entirely different. I believe in the Bible and because I do believe in reincarnation does not mean I am not of the Christian faith. NO man or woman knows the exact truth. What matters is that we live our lives with faith, love, helping others and believing in the Almighty.
Well you say your not disputing the Bible, yet in the same breath you are. To suggest that the message of the Bible was handed down by word of mouth, and some of it cannot be believed is an obvious problem. You say you believe the Bible, yet if you were more accurate you would say you believe the parts you want to believe. When Jesus tells us it is appointed for man once to die, that is a part you do not want to believe. So my question to you is. If you are going to approach Scripture this way, why believe any of it?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well you say your not disputing the Bible, yet in the same breath you are. To suggest that the message of the Bible was handed down by word of mouth, and some of it cannot be believed is an obvious problem. You say you believe the Bible, yet if you were more accurate you would say you believe the parts you want to believe. When Jesus tells us it is appointed for man once to die, that is a part you do not want to believe. So my question to you is. If you are going to approach Scripture this way, why believe any of it?
You are missing the point. I do not dispute the Bible, but are you telling me God didn't give the words for man to write? I didn't say some of it can't be believed. I said you have to take into consideration that the words given by God were written by human beings.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 AM

777 posts, read 1,277,471 times
Marian was only adding to the levity – responding to a post which I made.
Apparently she actually has cats; I was only attempting to bring a smile to the reader’s face and meant no offence.
I have a dry wit and actually find humor in the Bible on occasion.

Like the time Joshua was on his face in sorrow for one his men taking plunder when they were told not to.
God finally came in the evening and said: "Get up! Why have you fallen on your face? Joshua 7:10
I’ll admit, this made me laugh out loud – just picturing it.

However, since I do care about your ultimate well being, I must address the issue at hand rather than being politically correct.
The truth is the truth and it isn't loving to say nothing.

Scripture makes it clear that there is no reincarnation.
Scripture is not handed down by word of mouth.
It is actually written and we can go back to the original texts.
I frequently do - to make sure I have a more exact understanding.

I’d like to show you what the Scriptures say about this issue.
Please forgive my use of quotations.
They're there so that you'll not have to actually look up the various passages - a task most people would not likely do.

Richio
So here we go…

Man lives once and then must face a judgment day when that life will be judged.
And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment,
Hebrews 9:27

Jesus spoke of how one must be born of the Holy Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of God.
"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Nicodemus *said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?"
Jesus answered,
"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
"Do not be amazed that I said to you, 'You must be born again.'

John 3:3-7

It is clear that being born again is not a future event for believers.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1Peter 1:3-5

Indeed, it is the Holy Spirit who raises us from the dead in the resurrection.
This is why we must be born again – born of the Spirit. It is not a second birth of the flesh.
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
Romans 8:11

When we die the human soul which is born of the Spirit - goes to be with the Lord awaiting the resurrection of the body.
This change in destination is due to the indwelling Holy Spirit who is not subject to hell, and so we go to be with the Lord.
I do not believe it is soul sleep either, because Paul said he would prefer it. No one would prefer to be unaware in heaven.
Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord--
for we walk by faith, not by sight--
we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

2Corinthians 5:6-8

In this world, the human body of a believer is perishable, but the seed planted – the Holy Spirit - is imperishable.

for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

1Peter 1:23

Therefore on resurrection day, we shall be raised with imperishable bodies – befitting the new earth when it comes into being.
So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;
it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

1Corinthians 15:42-44

For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.
But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

1Corinthians 15:53,54

It is just plain inaccurate to interpret any of this as being reincarnation.
It is trying to fit pagan beliefs with a Christian spin – or even vice versa.
Either way, it is not what Jesus, Paul or Peter taught.

Richio

Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 AM

777 posts, read 1,277,471 times
I meant no offense to cat owners either for the remark about my fictional cat's look of distain - some merely look indifferent.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:47 AM

7,654 posts, read 9,890,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
You are missing the point. I do not dispute the Bible, but are you telling me God didn't give the words for man to write? I didn't say some of it can't be believed. I said you have to take into consideration that the words given by God were written by human beings.
NO, I did not say God did not give the words for man to write. What I believe is that God did give the words for man to write, and man did this accurately.

You said, John tells Mary a story, Mary tells Bob the same story, and by the time it gets to Joe it is entirely different. And then you say, no man or woman can know the exact truth.

With that statement, you have just disputed the Bible.

Do you really believe that God can create the universe, yet He is unable to get His Book to read accurately?

And if the Bible does not read accurately, why are all the prophecies truthful?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 707,765 times
KRAMERCAT
You're on the right track. I got my proof over 20 years ago out of the mouth of a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or