U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM

638 posts, read 1,723,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I am yet to feel and earthquake. There was one in San Diego in 1988 that I was actually swimming when it happened and did not feel it. There was another in Jacksonville Florida is 1996, I was driving a garbage truck and didnt feel it. There was one in central Virginia in 2005, I was driving a garbage truck and didnt feel it. And now they are talking about Yellowstone here in Montana/Wyoming and I havent felt one yet. But then again I live about 100 yards from the railway and probably miss the quakes for the trains. Dont get me wrong I am not looking forward to any but it is awful funny I never feel them when they happen because i am always doing something that muffles the effects.
We're here in Livingston and you know how many trains we get here and the tracks are below our home (we live on a hill) so we hear/feel the train at all times so we neither have felt any quakes but they said the hardest earthquake was 3.9. Remember too that the quakes are deeper in the Park (about 2 1/2 hr drive from where I live) so a 3.9 wouldn't be felt.

My husband and I are concerned too. We live WAY too close to the park and if it goes I want to make sure I am good with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,378,278 times
Unhappy "Ohhh NOOOO! Here it comes!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Read the link above.
Check out the Top 10 Earthquake Prone States listed at the bottom of the above page in the link above.....I was surprised.

#1 - Alaska
#2 - California
#3 - Hawaii
#4 - Nevada
#5 - Washington
#6 - Idaho
#7 - Wyoming
#8 - Montana
#9 - Utah
#10- Oregon

Above is more news of powerful earthquakes in Indonesia.

Yellowstone and Indonesia are just more signs of "birth pains", with more to come. The earth is groaning. The people are deaf and blind. Just like in the time of Noah.
The earth has always "groaned" folks. A lot more so in its earlier formative years. In actuality, it's generally settling down. Sorry. Mt. St. Helens has, from time to time, groaned like a nodding-off old geezer. Mt. Baker, hood and others in Oregon have, from time to time, "burped" a cloud of steam and a few tremors. Those who are lovingly looking forward to "The End Times" always predict horror and suffering. But also loving salvation for the blessed. Bit selfish, don't you think?

Yellowstone WAS a super volcano. It's next eruption, if and when, could be minor, medium, or major. What was that island that blew its top in, what, 1952? Oh yeah: Krakatoah. Clouded the atmosphere for a year or so. Wonderful godlike sunsets though!

Was it the end times? If it happened today you folks would all be happliy, hopefully and gleefully packing your travel bags. We geologist scientists would flock to it, measure it and learn more, through objective observation, so we might get even better at predictions. You know, to save innocent lives, even those of dis-believers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
The problem with Yellowstone is that it (was!) is a super volcano.
The quakes are only a precursor to an eruption at some time.
We just don't know when. As with all mountains in the Pacific Ring of Fire and others just inland of same. Quite understandable from a geotechnical basis, actually. But I know; it's only us silly ego-driven scientists talking again. Whaddah we know?

The entire park is in the caldera, so there will be a huge amount earth thrown into the air. (or not... how can anyone be sure of this? Are we just hoping for a major catastrophic End Times-Suitable event here? Nice!)
It has erupted twice already that we know of, and the pattern for immediate debris extends beyond me here in Arizona.
BTW, the evidence you site for any knowledge of the size of it also includes when it happened. The same quality of evidence places a super-meteor impact in the Gulf of Mexico that ended the Era of the Dinos. Proof just as convincing. A few million years ago, for the benefit of the YEC chronologists. Selective belief.

Volcanos come, volcanos go. Check out Hawaii some time. Volcanos, nicely and quietly building paradise one island at a time.

Last edited by rifleman; 01-04-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,031,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
We're here in Livingston and you know how many trains we get here and the tracks are below our home (we live on a hill) so we hear/feel the train at all times so we neither have felt any quakes but they said the hardest earthquake was 3.9. Remember too that the quakes are deeper in the Park (about 2 1/2 hr drive from where I live) so a 3.9 wouldn't be felt.

My husband and I are concerned too. We live WAY too close to the park and if it goes I want to make sure I am good with God.
Hi neighbor, I have some real close Church friends who live in livingston, Gary and MaryJane Andrews. They spend their winters in Florida. I will admit I am concerned but I believe the Lord has better plans for me than dying in a volcano.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,017,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Could it be that wine had never fermented before the flood and therefor he knew nothing of getting drunk?
Hmmm...... Now there's something to ponder.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:40 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,031,048 times
Quote:
Hmmm...... Now there's something to ponder.
Just a theory.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

716 posts, read 956,740 times
Quote:
Yellowstone Earthquakes Raise Fears

Read the link above.

Check out the Top 10 Earthquake Prone States listed at the bottom of the above page in the link above.....I was surprised.

#1 - Alaska
#2 - California
#3 - Hawaii
#4 - Nevada
#5 - Washington
#6 - Idaho
#7 - Wyoming
#8 - Montana
#9 - Utah
#10- Oregon

Series of quakes hit Indonesia, killing 4 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090104/ap_on_re_as/as_indonesia_earthquake - broken link)

Above is more news of powerful earthquakes in Indonesia.

Yellowstone and Indonesia are just more signs of "birth pains", with more to come. The earth is groaning. The people are deaf and blind. Just like in the time of Noah.
Yep, when she blows there goes 1/3 of America.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 PM

11,826 posts, read 10,176,294 times
And who would be laughing if little or no effect on the US was the Bible belt states?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The earth has always "groaned" folks. A lot more so in its earlier formative years. In actuality, it's generally settling down. Sorry. Mt. St. Helens has, from time to time, groaned like a nodding-off old geezer. Mt. Baker, hood and others in Oregon have, from time to time, "burped" a cloud of steam and a few tremors. Those who are lovingly looking forward to "The End Times" always predict horror and suffering. But also loving salvation for the blessed. Bit selfish, don't you think?

Okay, first of all.....how about not blinding us with the
RED. Second, yes the earth has always groaned but not like this......the groaning of labor pains!! The earth is screaming, but most are not hearing. This is how the Bible refers to it:

Mark 13:8
Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

Third, I've seen you mention your "credentials" ad nauseum. Good for you, but what you don't understand with all your head knowledge is that it cannot save you, only Jesus Christ can.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
And who would be laughing if little or no effect on the US was the Bible belt states?
Care to rephrase that, TS? I think I know what you're saying, but not sure enough to respond.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 PM

30,884 posts, read 31,784,630 times
I see that fundamental Christians are jumping all over this Yellowstone thing. There are hundreds of web sites and blogs predicting an eruption in December 2012, tying it in with the Mayan calendar.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity