U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,012,239 times
Reputation: 58210

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I see that fundamental Christians are jumping all over this Yellowstone thing. There are hundreds of web sites and blogs predicting an eruption in December 2012, tying it in with the Mayan calendar.....
Christianity and Biblical prophecy have nothing to do with the Mayan calendar. The Mayan calendar watchers are in no way related or connected to what is being discussed here.

Nice try, but no takers on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
 
1,146 posts, read 1,418,431 times
Reputation: 145
I imagine that Yellowstone was great big hearts and too many people put syringes in the veins of Yellowstone, and had a heart attack creating earthquakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,883 posts, read 31,765,340 times
Reputation: 12628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Christianity and Biblical prophecy have nothing to do with the Mayan calendar. The Mayan calendar watchers are in no way related or connected to what is being discussed here.

Nice try, but no takers on this thread.
It's not me making the connection, as you well know I don't subscribe to any of it....I merely pointed out that many are making that connection.

Edit...I just looked back at those sites, and you are correct. The ones connecting these events to the Mayan calender are NOT fundamentalist sites....

Last edited by sanspeur; 01-04-2009 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: To correct my statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 PM
 
Location: LAT: 40.77 LON: 73.98
604 posts, read 982,679 times
Reputation: 142
Rifleman you forgot the grand daddy of 'em all -Tambora.

Anyway it must be nice to live in a time when we can actually meticulously record volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, hurricanes, El Nino, La Nina and statistics on blocked shots and forced fumbles. Forget the fact that earth's existence has been all about cycles since it first appeared. For the next 5 years we can have all kinds of natural disasters followed by 5 years of relative quietness.

All I know is that if you live long enough on this planet, you are bound to hear the sky is falling every other year. Makes it all the more likely because every Tom, Bill and Sally is walking around with a camcorder to record events as they happen and satellites are all over the skies beaming in "news as it happens." If the 2004 Tsunami in Indonesia happened 50 years ago (as the last major one did over there), our predecessors living on this side of the world would probably never have heard of it or found out about it months or years later. Today, we saw it in all of its horrific glory in a matter of seconds and as a result, to some people, Jesus edged up in his throne to take that first step toward heaven's exit door.


Regards,


DeGuire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,583,176 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Rifleman you forgot the grand daddy of 'em all -Tambora.

Anyway it must be nice to live in a time when we can actually meticulously record volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, hurricanes, El Nino, La Nina and statistics on blocked shots and forced fumbles. Forget the fact that earth's existence has been all about cycles since it first appeared. For the next 5 years we can have all kinds of natural disasters followed by 5 years of relative quietness.

All I know is that if you live long enough on this planet, you are bound to hear the sky is falling every other year. Makes it all the more likely because every Tom, Bill and Sally is walking around with a camcorder to record events as they happen and satellites are all over the skies beaming in "news as it happens." If the 2004 Tsunami in Indonesia happened 50 years ago (as the last major one did over there), our predecessors living on this side of the world would probably never have heard of it or found out about it months or years later. Today, we saw it in all of its horrific glory in a matter of seconds and as a result, to some people, Jesus edged up in his throne to take that first step toward heaven's exit door.


Regards,


DeGuire
Not only has He "edged" up His throne, He has one foot on the cloud looking back faithfully at the Father, saying, "Now? Now Daddy?" The Father, "Not yet My Son, there's room for one more........and one more..........and one more......." Could it be you?


Love, your sister in Christ Jesus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Arizona
777 posts, read 1,277,286 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The earth has always "groaned" folks. A lot more so in its earlier formative years. In actuality, it's generally settling down. Sorry. Mt. St. Helens has, from time to time, groaned like a nodding-off old geezer. Mt. Baker, hood and others in Oregon have, from time to time, "burped" a cloud of steam and a few tremors. Those who are lovingly looking forward to "The End Times" always predict horror and suffering. But also loving salvation for the blessed. Bit selfish, don't you think?

Yellowstone WAS a super volcano. It's next eruption, if and when, could be minor, medium, or major. What was that island that blew its top in, what, 1952? Oh yeah: Krakatoah. Clouded the atmosphere for a year or so. Wonderful godlike sunsets though!

Was it the end times? If it happened today you folks would all be happliy, hopefully and gleefully packing your travel bags. We geologist scientists would flock to it, measure it and learn more, through objective observation, so we might get even better at predictions. You know, to save innocent lives, even those of dis-believers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio & friend [>]
The problem with Yellowstone is that it (was!) is a super volcano.
The quakes are only a precursor to an eruption at some time.
We just don't know when. As with all mountains in the Pacific Ring of Fire and others just inland of same. Quite understandable from a geotechnical basis, actually. But I know; it's only us silly ego-driven scientists talking again. Whaddah we know?

The entire park is in the caldera, so there will be a huge amount earth thrown into the air. (or not... how can anyone be sure of this? Are we just hoping for a major catastrophic End Times-Suitable event here? Nice!)
It has erupted twice already that we know of, and the pattern for immediate debris extends beyond me here in Arizona.
BTW, the evidence you site for any knowledge of the size of it also includes when it happened. The same quality of evidence places a super-meteor impact in the Gulf of Mexico that ended the Era of the Dinos. Proof just as convincing. A few million years ago, for the benefit of the YEC chronologists. Selective belief.

Volcanos come, volcanos go. Check out Hawaii some time. Volcanos, nicely and quietly building paradise one island at a time.
The magma in shield volcanoes (as in Hawaii) is basalt.
It is the least viscous magma and eruptions are not very explosive.

Composite volcanoes (like Mt St. Helens) are much more explosive because they are formed at subduction zones.
The basalt from the oceanic crust is mixed with the granite of the continental crust.

If Yellowstone were a normal volcano, it would be a cinder cone with extremely steep sides.
The magma from the pure continental crust is much more resistant to flow and so is much more explosive.

However, as a super volcano, no cone is created since everything is exploded into the air.
When Yellowstone does go, there will be various quakes and then the entire surface of the caldera will slip down and essentially break up.
That will release a huge amount of pressure, much as when the cork is popped from a bottle of champaign.

I’ve seen a small physical simulation and the amount of force released is more than astounding.

The two previous eruptions recorded have left debris patterns which don’t indicate anything other than a catastrophic event many times larger than Mt St Helens – perhaps one or two thousand times greater.

Personally, I hope you are right and the geologists are wrong, because they say we are overdue for an event.
I am not a pre-tribber and would prefer to have as much time on this earth as possible to do the will of my Father.

Revelation talks about a time when sunlight and moonlight will be reduced by one third, so this would probably be caused by particulate matter in the air.
If we are approaching the end times and if Yellowstone were to be the source of this ash, it would occur with the forth trumpet.
The fourth angel sounded, and a third of the sun and a third of the moon and a third of the stars were struck,
so that a third of them would be darkened and the day would not shine for a third of it, and the night in the same way.

Rev 8:12
As I’m not a pre-tribber, I anticipate that I’ll not be here due to decollation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,012,239 times
Reputation: 58210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Not only has He "edged" up His throne, He has one foot on the cloud looking back faithfully at the Father, saying, "Now? Now Daddy?" The Father, "Not yet My Son, there's room for one more........and one more..........and one more......." Could it be you?


Love, your sister in Christ Jesus
Excellent, Betsey!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 AM
 
Location: NW Arkansas
3,978 posts, read 7,628,957 times
Reputation: 3760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Hey Verna!!

Yeah, my spirit knows something I don't too!! That's a good way to put it!! I know what is to follow in the "splaining away" posts, but I don't really care what people say......I'm only concerned with what God says. Anyone who is spiritually connected can feel it.

I appreciate your feelings, but I am afraid the 'spiritually connected' folks have been 'experiencing' things for centuries...things that never came to pass. Naturally, any who knows the scriptures, knows that eventually the earth will be distroyed by fire, but no one knows when.
I chose to live my life the best I can, regardless of when the end of the earth will come. It is the end of my life that will be the time when I will be awaiting judgement. Until then, I will just hope all come to the knowledge of God, and do His will. I will try to get them to come to Him because they love Him, not because they are in fear of what many call the 'great tribulation'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,572 posts, read 21,719,133 times
Reputation: 18115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I appreciate your feelings, but I am afraid the 'spiritually connected' folks have been 'experiencing' things for centuries...things that never came to pass. Naturally, any who knows the scriptures, knows that eventually the earth will be distroyed by fire, but no one knows when.
I chose to live my life the best I can, regardless of when the end of the earth will come. It is the end of my life that will be the time when I will be awaiting judgement. Until then, I will just hope all come to the knowledge of God, and do His will. I will try to get them to come to Him because they love Him, not because they are in fear of what many call the 'great tribulation'.
I agree..100%..Let it be known that I DO agree with Marian on many things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 10,012,239 times
Reputation: 58210
We are also told to watch for the signs, and the signs are all around us. Yes, yes, yes, yes.....ad nauseam.....we can't know the day nor the hour..........
BUT WE CAN KNOW THE SEASON AND IT'S HERE.

If you can't see it or feel it, then I don't know what to tell you. I don't know if not believing in the Rapture has any bearing on whether or not you get taken in it. Not for me to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top