U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:26 PM

8,830 posts, read 10,009,485 times

Advertisements

[quote=esselcue;6850396]
Quote:
It is geology and vulcanology
What? Wait a minute.....I thought vulcanology was the study of Mr. Spock and vulcans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,627,135 times
"Same old tired atheist response"

I find this statement offensive! I am not an 'athiest' but feel the same way as the poster that you said that to.

It's strange that you have recieved such an amazing ability and very few others have, and yes...all through the ages there have been such prophesies and so far none have proven to be true. For your sake, I hope you are right. It is a serious thing to be a false prophet.

I, for one, am ready for the end of the ages....

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
"Same old tired atheist response"

I find this statement offensive!Iam not an 'athiest' but feel the same wayas the poster that you said that to.
Oh good grief, lighten up Marian. Am I going to lose my sense of humor when I turn 75 too????

You call a spade a spade, don't you??? Are you offended when someone calls you a Christian?

Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Oh good grief, lighten up Marian. Am I going to lose my sense of humor when I turn 75 too????

You call a spade a spade, don't you??? Are you offended when someone calls you a Christian?
Look at pot calling kettle black!! Maybe you need another cup of coffee???

That was a joke????!!! If I have 'lost my sense of humor' it is only towards statements like that, and the one about my age!!!( BTW, I am 76).

Are you comparing calling someone an 'athiest' with calling them a 'Christian!

I am proud to be called a Christian. I would not be proud of being called an athiest!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Look at pot calling kettle black!! Maybe you need another cup of coffee???

That was a joke????!!! If I have 'lost my sense of humor' it is only towards statements like that, and the one about my age!!!( BTW, I am 76).

Are you comparing calling someone an 'athiest' with calling them a 'Christian!

I am proud to be called a Christian. I would not be proud of being called an athiest!
Huh???????

Okay.....you've made it quite clear that you don't like me, and that's fine. But you misunderstand A LOT, Marian and if you don't have anything to add to the topic then what are you doing?

Ask the atheist if he was offended by being called an atheist. This is ridiculous so MOVE ON.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Huh???????

Okay.....you've made it quite clear that you don't like me, and that's fine. But you misunderstand A LOT, Marian and if you don't have anything to add to the topic then what are you doing?

Ask the atheist if he was offended by being called an atheist. This is ridiculous so MOVE ON.
WOW I certainly will avoid responding to any more of your posts! What a wonderful exhibit of LOVE !!!!

How can I 'not like' you ??? I don't even know you!

Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,094,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Lighten up, Preterist . . . it was adorable and done with love and every intent of witnessing her belief to us in an appealing way. If God is humorless and somber and serious all the time . . . why would our souls be so drawn to such things (Disney, etc.). I hope eternity is not without such cuteness and adorableness. God bless, Betsey.
MysticPhD: I understood completely the respect with which those words were written. I was merely cautioning us all to be careful about bringing God down to our level when we characterize Him. I was speaking to myself as well. I think there is too much of that today. People refer to God as the "Man Upstairs" or speak of Jesus as their "home boy!" That is appalling to me. While I understand fully Betsey's intent, I felt that her characterization of Christ made Him appear as a child not on level with the Father. Jesus knows the plans of the Father because He is fully God in every respect. He does not act apart from the Father and He is not in need of getting information from Him. The same is true of the Holy Spirit.

Again, I know it was completely innocent. I'm just saying we need to be careful--myself included!

Preterist

Old 01-05-2009, 03:40 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,369,507 times
Unhappy "Grrrrunch!"

Amazing thought processes on display here, eh, Mystic et al?

http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0051.gif (broken link)

All I can add now, swollen head and all (BTW, DOTL, thx for the many compliments. If I'd only known!), is that it's exactly been my big head and it's evolved internal neuronal connections and resulting logic which have consistently led me AWAY from my previous Christian beliefs.

I also didn't like others making up my mind for me.

You know that sound when a spoon goes down into the kitchen Garberator? THAT's what happened in my head whenever I tried to reason out Christian "Logic". Eventually, I lost too many spoons!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-05-2009 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-05-2009, 03:52 PM

17,751 posts, read 15,642,092 times
Default Not much of a sign if..

Unless its the next one what kind of sign is this? So Jesus decides to tell the disciples look for earth quakes. OK that is a good sign. If its just "earth quakes" its useless since we have had them ever since. Jesus may have just said when the sun comes up in the east. Heck I can do that. I predict you will buy you next care after the sun comes up in the east.

Jesus told Peter before the Rooster crows he will deny Jesus 3 times. A modern day interpretation is this has not been fulfilled yet since rooster keep crowing.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Amazing thought processes on display here, eh, Mystic et al?

All I can add now, swollen head and all (BTW, DOTL, thx for the many compliments. If I'd only known!), is that it's exactly been my big head and it's evolved internal neuronal connections and resulting logic which have consistently led me AWAY from my previous Christian beliefs.

I also didn't like others making up my mind for me.

You know that sound when a spoon goes down into the kitchen Garberator? THAT's what happened in my head whenever I tried to reason out Christian "Logic". Eventually, I lost too many spoons!
Garberator?? Believing and accepting the free gift of salvation is EASY. WE (that includes all of us) make it complicated. Look to God, not men for His logic. The unexplainable awesomeness of the universe and our beautiful earth (for now) is in and of itself, proof of God and He is the original Scientist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity