U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,036,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
While I have not been in that senario that you described in the other post, I forgive you. I have seen some pretty bad things in my life, and have been involved in some as well, God forgive me.
Not really a problem on my end, so you were forgiven before you reacted.

Quote:
I really don't know what I would do, these days, if a horrible event happened in my life. I know what my past life prior to seeking Jesus out, would have done.
I have been in such scenerios, even as a Christian, and God gave us certain abilities to use as needed.

Quote:
Most people must think that Christians generally are some weak minded feeble people. Well, I am neither. At 6'7", most get intimidated just by looking up at me. Also I have a high tolerance for pain, and used it quite well in my younger years.
Actually many hope you are weak so they can take advantage of your humbleness. Sounds like we are of similar walks, I am 6'3" and have extensive training in the martial arts and weapons so it sometimes takes alot for me not to lash out at something I see wrong, but I will stand up for the defensless.

Quote:
So, I would hope that in seeing all the events in my life, as such the horrible sinner I was, that I could accept Jesus, as my King, to intervene, if the need arises.
I can see where you are coming from, but do you think it is possible that Jesus allowed you to experience what you did to enable you to atand up to what is wrong and do something about it?

Quote:
Christ told them to buy the sword to fulfill that last bit of prophecy of His ministry. As soon as they pulled it out, and "He was numbered with the Transgressers", He told them to put them down, as those who live by the sword, die by the sword.
We can agree to disagree here. I have gone over the verses repeatedly and prayed over them for clarity and I still see it as telling us to protect ourselves from the evil of the world. As for the "He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword" that is a fine line that could go either way. You are not really living by the sword when you are defending yourself, but if you make a career out of killing or bullying then you are living by the sword.

Quote:
Seeing evil, period, takes a mind that can discern what is good, and what is anti-good. See, most people would say that guns, for example, are not evil. Only the user behind them is what is evil in intent. But I would say that without guns, there would have never been the temptation to use them. So how could the evil manifest itself, if the instrument was not there to tempt?
So being 6'7" you might be tempted to use your size and strength against another just as someone may use a gun. I know another unpleasent scenerio but no offense is meant just giving an example.

Quote:
In other words, look at the tree of knowledge. Had the tree not been there, then the temptation would not have as well.
So are you saying God tempted man inappropriately. I mean I own several guns, dont lock them away. I teach my children what those guns will do and why they are not to touch them. I am not God but the temptation doesnt seem to be eating at them.

Quote:
Sometimes, it is better when inventing something, to see if the future intentions could be misplaced and evil could arise out of it being just there at that moment. Nuclear weapons fall into this catagory.
Anything of this world whether invented or not can be used for evil. Look at how the Indians would tie someone in the blazing sun to die a horrible death. Or look at how men were buried up to their nesk beside an ant hill, honey poured over them and the ants feasted and killed them. Another scenerio is throwing someone into the pirahna infested waters of the Amazon or the shark infested areas of the oceans. It doesnt have to be invented to kill to be used to kill. Should we outlaw ropes, rivers, oceans, or sticks so no one will be tempted to cause harm to another?

Quote:
Judging and rebuking are 2 different things. You pointed out a "what-if" senario, and that is what offended me. It was also very unChristian like to do so. Or Anti-Christian. Just the mental pictures, were enough to make me sick, and feel unChristian like in my responses and thoughts. It was a stumbling block placed in front of me.
It was not my intent to place a stumbling block before you, my intent was to place you in anothers shoes, put you in a similar situation as the Israelis so perhaps you could feel some compassion for their plight. If this brought back some former sins, I am sorry, but God gives us abilities to cope with sinful things and protect what is right.

Quote:
Christians, are not supposed to place stumbling blocks in front of other believers. We are to stay unified in our beliefs, and lift each other up, both spiritually, and physically, when we are down. If we see another in need, we leap to the chance to help. Right?

Yes, with whatever abilities we have to ensure the safety of the innocent. If you think this makes me unChristian than so be it, I can live with that, but I left the Church for 15 years and learned alot, when I returned and shared my struggles with others I was told I had a great responsibility with the knowledge I had learned. I am, as you can be, a mighty man of old, with knowledge and abilities to do what other cannot to protect the innocent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM

4,541 posts, read 13,146,417 times
Default Anti-christ, according to the Word of God...

"Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also."

The Zondervan, NIV Bible Commentary explains this Scripture.
To deny Jesus' position, His identity and His importance seems to be the simple definition of what is the anti-Christ -- according to the Word of God.

Forgive this long quote but I think it's a very interesting discussion on the subject.

Quote:
The statement "No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also" makes clear the singular dependence of the Christian faith on the reality of God available through the Son. Those who claim they have a Father but exclude the Son have neither the Father nor the Son. Consequently, when Jesus is acknowledged as the Son and as the eternal Christ, the Father has also truly been lifted up, known and honored, confessed and possessed. John is not talking here about having a creed but about possessing a person by accepting or acknowledging our relationship to him. So also we deny God by denying him his proper relationship with us.

24 At this point John shifts his attention to his readers. They, in contrast to the antichrists, are exhorted to make certain that what they heard "from the beginning"--i.e., the true apostolic declaration concerning Jesus as Son and Christ--"remains" in them. If it does, they may be assured that they will also "remain" in the Son and in the Father. The use of "remain" gives weight to the warning. The word of the Gospel must not only be heard but be given a vital place in one's life. The message must continue to be active in the lives of all who have heard it. They must reflect on it and let it affect their lives.

While John's exhortation here is clearly to faithfulness to the Word, it is also an exhortation with an assured promise of fulfillment. Where the Word abides, there also the Son and Father abide in intimate fellowship. The Word is not the goal of the fellowship but rather a means to the goal of fellowship. The listing of the Son before the Father may emphasize the fact that access to the Father becomes possible only through the Son …

26-27 The author concludes his attack on the false teachers with a warning and a word of encouragement for his followers. He has identified the heretical beliefs of those who have deserted the community of believers (v. 22). He has properly labeled his opponents antichrists (v. and has described them as "those trying to lead you astray". )

This description is more significant because it reveals the actual intent of those who have deserted the community. Not only have they forsaken the true faith, but they intend to lead many of the faithful astray. Their aim is to assume leadership over the community. They are enemies who are not content to spread new teaching but "invaders" and "deceivers" who seek to win the whole community over to their position….

Taken from the Zondervan NIV Bible Commentary

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-05-2009 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 10:39 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,883,600 times
The carnal man is at emnity with God who is spiritual. You have the spiritual things of God which is the only way to becoming one with God and you have the carnal nature or sin nature. You have the spiritual in you and the carnal nature in you warring with each other. He who has an ear...let him hear. It is the number of a man 666....the carnal man....which is against God.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,146,417 times
Default The Spirit of Antichrist....

I found this link. I think it's a really good answer to the OP's question.

The Spirit of Antichrist? What Does It Mean?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,274,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I found this link. I think it's a really good answer to the OP's question.

The Spirit of Antichrist? What Does It Mean?
Very good link and sad to say, but we see a lot of it happening right here in this forum.....

Old 01-14-2009, 02:28 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Someone who goes against the teachings of our King who shed His blood for the sins of mankind.

Opposing the Anointed. Simple definition

So would this include those who have crept in the body of Believers, and profess doctrines contrary to the SOUND teachings of Jesus?

I would say with all sincerity,,,yes.

Now, what would these false doctrines include?
Anything that is opposite of what the word of God teaches.
1 Timothy 4:1-5,2 Timothy 3:13, Mark 13:22.....

Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM

94 posts, read 118,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The anti-christ has also been defined and to include the meaning "instead of" Christ.

Now, what would these false doctrines include?
The false doctrine of the anti-Christ is a man is justified by observing the law.

Gods words says the opposite:
Romans 3:27
Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith.

Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Read Roman chapter 4, the great faith only chapter, ending with the conclusion of the peace and joy we will recieve.. Romans 5

Romans 5:1,2
[ Peace and Joy ] Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.
.... . ...... . ..... but "Fath" and "Acts" must go together. (James 2:26)

Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,385,583 times
With the massive size of this slobberfest inauguration, which I have never seen this level in my lifetime (since LBJ's) it may be safe to say
Barack Obama

What is the saying about a false prophet and his many followers?
No matter what your political bend, has anyone ever seen anything like this?
Is it a President or Hollywood Celebfest, Is it a President or Damien? Just plain scary in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,914,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Just plain scary in my opinion.
Sand or Rock - where's your faith?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,385,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Sand or Rock - where's your faith?
One sentence: Whatcha talkin about Willis! Sand or Rock? And faith?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or