U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:54 AM

594 posts, read 935,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I suppose if I were to go to a baptist ministry, and was to hear the bible every Sunday I'd think it was worthless too.
I'll file this away until your next " quit picking on Catholicism......we're so persecuted......" posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,417,138 times
Are you going to church to actually get something out of the service? Theres a difference i think, of people who go to church only out of routine. Ex. "okay its Sunday, were suppose to go to church" or those who go to church to fellowship and worship the Lord. If you are going out of sincerity, and your not getting anything out of it, or you think its silly, then IMO its time to find some where new.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:09 AM

12,319 posts, read 13,561,032 times
Quote:
Well, as Catholics we believe in something called the Eucharist, where we receive the literal blood and body of Jesus Christ.

I suppose if I were to go to a baptist ministry, and was to hear the bible every Sunday I'd think it was worthless too. I could just as easily read the bible on my own. But going to Catholic mass is much different than your protestant service.
Like Jeffery Domer? Hmm? That's gross.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 AM

12,319 posts, read 13,561,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Those are the church's I'm talking about. It's nothing but dry scripture being preached loudly through a PA system. People shake hands but are begrudging to continue friendliness after the service....etc.

You are right. They do the same things over and over. That's why when the parts come up where the audience participates they are answering the priest without even thinking cause they have done it every Sunday for the past 40 years.

I think you should do some serious praying for the truth of everything. Churches are really confusing when it comes to finding real answers.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,007,507 times
Quote:
No, it isn't the same. They believe that the Eucharist isn't the literal body and blood of Christ, just a representation of the last meal.
That's not true either. Communion is all about the literal body and blood of Christ. I think you need to visit a church in the South!!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 AM

414 posts, read 708,535 times
Talking Lift up y-our Spirit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
I'll file this away until your next " quit picking on Catholicism......we're so persecuted......" posts.

... hearts and minds in a transparent elevator ... with nice colleagues at work, for instance ...

Never too late and seldom too early.\!!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
That's not true either. Communion is all about the literal body and blood of Christ. I think you need to visit a church in the South!!
If it truly were the literal body of Christ, then wouldn't that be easily proven in a DNA test of a communion wafer? Could Jesus then be cloned?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,417,556 times
It isn't about "going" to church...it's about "being" the church...What does "being" the church mean?...It means more than just being in "mental-agreement"...the "church" are the ones who are supposed to be making a difference in the world...by just "believing", one is not making the difference that he thinks he is...he is not impacting the world as God has called him to do...you must "find your place in the body...1 Cor.12...spiritual gifts...given by God...to be joined together...for the work of the ministry...find your place. God is not trying to raise another man...but the "corporate" body of Christ! We are to perfect; complete' and equip one another.

Unbelief=mental agreement=agreeing (in your head) with everything you "hear" from others, but not agreeing in your heart...not persueded enough to ACT! Failing to act IS failing to believe...as subtle as it is, it is one of the most powerful enemies of faith. We are not righteous just because we agree. The mental agreer will say "...it is true...", but they will not put it into action...our belief will be evidenced by ACTION, not in our mind...coming together with others who are like-minded improves all of us...holds us accountable...teaches to give the gifts that God has given each one of us to complete the body of Christ. to edify one another and grow in our relationship with one another and with Christ Jesus. Coming together and hearing the Gospel; worshipping and praying together for the lost in the world; giving the God given gifts that we have to help our community is what it is all about...others...it is about others...not ourselves..Love

Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,403,820 times
It is similar. Ok.

Quote:
No, it isn't the same. They believe that the Eucharist isn't the literal body and blood of Christ, just a representation of the last meal.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,403,820 times
No

I do not get drunk or stoned ever. I am celibate and have never had sexual intercourse.

I am liberal when it comes to Christianity. When I read scripture I do not take it literally and I understand it in the context that it was written thousands of years ago before science or modern technology was invented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Very typical description of church among young people. As you grow older, you will begin to appreciate such things more than in your teenage years and early twenties. After you come to the realization that life is more than just getting drunk and stoned out of your mind and getting laid every night, you might look at religion in a different light. At least thats how it happened with me.

Artsyguy, aren't you atheist anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or