U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 PM

594 posts, read 936,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Is it just me or are the sermon's silly and ridiculous and virtually meaningless?
Does it bring any meaning or depth to anybody's lives? Do you put to much value into sitting in a church, singing old and redundant hymn's being played by organ, and shaking a person's hand whom you have no intention of befriending?? It all seems so meaningless.
It's just you. I'm not trying to be flippant, but it really is subjective. A pastor can make or break a church. I've listened to some preachers who bored me to tears and others that have really blessed me. It just depends. Some ARE silly, ridiculous, and virtually meaningless. Others are anything but. Luckily, our current pastor is in the "anything but" category. He's not dry at all and his sermons always have practical meaning. I love listening to him preach.

As far as the hymns go, again, that's personal preference. They don't really do much for me. I wouldn't call them silly, though, just not my thing.

On an interpersonal level, it depends on what level of relationship you desire from fellow church members. If you want to be a wallflower member, then the handshaking won't mean squat to you. However, if you are actively looking to befriend your fellow members, it's a great time to seek people out and break the ice.

Calling church "silly" is a huge blanket statement that I think is unfair. It all depends on the church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:02 PM

25,084 posts, read 14,284,293 times
I think it maybe the OP and the church he or she attends.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,752,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
That's not true either. Communion is all about the literal body and blood of Christ. I think you need to visit a church in the South!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
No, it isn't the same. They believe that the Eucharist isn't the literal body and blood of Christ, just a representation of the last meal.
I've always understood that it's done in order to remember Jesus. More of a representation, not the literal body and blood.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,292,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I've always understood that it's done in order to remember Jesus. More of a representation, not the literal body and blood.
The Catholics believe that through the Priest's "hocus-pocus", the wine literally turns into Christ's blood and the wafer into his flesh. Oddly, they both still taset like wine and a bread product though. This is also why they're so careful not to drop a crumb or spill a drop during communion.

Basically, this is just another example of a Christian denomination that chooses to take a certain verse in the Bible literally, whereas other denominations don't (other than the Episcopals - I think they believe it's literal body and blood).

I have no issues with the Catholic church on this - they certainly can believe as they choose. I guess it's just common sense that tells me it's physically impossible for wine to turn to blood. Can a priest also turn a dog into a cat? Ta-da!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,014,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
What I meant to say was that communion "represents" the literal body and blood of Christ, not that it is magically turned into literal flesh and blood.

Communion is symbolism to honor a literal event.

No matter what it's called and what denomination partakes in it, I don't believe any of the people actually think a priest or pastor is performing some kind of holy magic trick to turn grape juice into blood and crackers into flesh. (Not directed at you NB, but the last post by Denverian)

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
No matter what it's called and what denomination partakes in it, I don't believe any of the people actually think a priest or pastor is performing some kind of holy magic trick to turn grape juice into blood and crackers into flesh.
Yes, Catholics believe in transubstantiation.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM

8,830 posts, read 10,014,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Yes, Catholics believe in transubstantiation.
Really? I guess the question then is this......when does this take place?

Before it is partaken of, or after both wine and bread have been ingested?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,689,396 times
I am not christian, but I have been with friends to a few services (at different kinds of churches - catholic, lutherun, methodist). I can see how reassuring and uplifting it is to get together in a beautiful venue to celebrate something you have in common.
None of the sermons I have ever heard taught me anything my parents/relatives haven't said a thousand times about how to behave, how to treat others, etc. These are obviously not exclusively christian sentiments. I thought they were going to say something enlightening - some of it could have been seen at the end of a GI Joe tv show (except Go, Joe is more succinct).

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Really? I guess the question then is this......when does this take place?

Before it is partaken of, or after both wine and bread have been ingested?
I don't know, I'm not Catholic. I THINK it's after it's been ingested.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,719,489 times
Church is not about you or what you can get out of it. Church is for Him alone. We go their for Him, We go to worship Him. That's church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or