U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:22 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,876,992 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the posts everyone. I tend to agree with shana that our spirit goes back to God and our bodies go back to the dust of the earth to await resurrection. I remember someone saying one time that since God is not bound by time and space our resurrection actually happens right after we die. Not sure I believe that, like I said..I still tend to believe we just go into a state of unconsciousness until the resurrection but when that glorious day happens and you awake,it will be as though no time has passed. As I get older, and see my parents and friends of my parents grow old and some pass on...it makes me wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Same here spm. I had no problem with the people - it's the system.

Beyond death is life. Being alive to self is death and dying to self is life, both now in "life" and after "death".

So in a sense I see death as irrelevant, except that this damned stupid body goes where it belongs (off of me)
Thanks firstborne. So you believe there is no unconscious state..a person is judged immediately and then lives on in a glorified body? Thanks for posting.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,141,141 times
I am wondering, how the person who shared about people becoming resurrected upon death, understands 1 Thessalonians 4, Dave?

13And I do not wish you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, that ye may not sorrow, as also the rest who have not hope,
14for if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, so also God those asleep through Jesus he will bring with him,
15for this to you we say in the word of the Lord, that we who are living -- who do remain over to the presence of the Lord -- may not precede those asleep,
16because the Lord himself, in a shout, in the voice of a chief-messenger, and in the trump of God, shall come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ shall rise first, 17then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be; (YLT)

Also 1 Corin. 15 speaks about those who "are asleep", and of those who in Adam die, and who also in Christ shall be made alive, about individuals being raised but each in their own order. Order, from what I understand, means a group or a squadron. Seems like they are raised with their group at the same time. Just some thoughts as I reflect on these scriptures with God's help. Thanks for sharing and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-07-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I think what they were saying is on earth we are bound by time. Once you die..there is no time. Sort of like God watching the world unfold and knowing what will happen in each second because he has seen it..he is outside of time. Some have said that certain visions that the prophets had were seen in real time. They actually saw those events happening..because they were allowed outside of time....though those events had not happen in earthly time.It`s a hard concept to grasp because we live in a world bound and structured by time. Like living in a box (time) but once you step outside of that box (time) you see everything. When I die, I experience the resurrection of saints..even those living in time..because I`m outside of time. When you die,you experience the same thing eventhough we died at different moments in time. I know it is very hard for the human mind to grasp. I`m not saying I believe that,it`s something I will look further into. I need to study the concept of time and relationship.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM

21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
Because Jesus came back to life, so will all believers, Christians, we will live with Jesus forever, this brings great comfort to me.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 01-07-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,109,113 times
I believe we will go to the Spirit World where we will await the resurrection and last judgment. Depending upon how we lived our lives, the Spirit World will be either a state of paradise or one of imprisonment. We will continue to exist as cognizant beings; we just won't have our physical bodies. We'll be able to learn and grow and have the same freedom of choice we have here. Ultimately, the vast majority of us will end up in Heaven.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 AM

589 posts, read 1,348,791 times
The Bible tells us there will be 2 resurrections. The 1st Resurrection is for the elect or the true believers who will be raised up at the end of the Great Trib. Those elect still alive at that time will be raptured... which is really an instantaneous dying and resurrection in the twinkling of an eye.

The purpose of this "gathering of the Saints" is to raise up the ruling team of King Jesus Christ to rule on earth for 1000 years. They will be kings and priests teaching the humans the way and the truth about God. The Scriptures said "blessed are those who will be in the 1st Resurrection."

After the 1000 years is over, comes the Great White Throne Judgment or commonly known as "The Judgment Day." A this time, the rest of mankind will be resurrected for judgment. This is the 2nd Resurrection.

REV 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5: But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6: Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:19 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The Bible tells us there will be 2 resurrections. The 1st Resurrection is for the elect or the true believers who will be raised up at the end of the Great Trib. Those elect still alive at that time will be raptured... which is really an instantaneous dying and resurrection in the twinkling of an eye.

The purpose of this "gathering of the Saints" is to raise up the ruling team of King Jesus Christ to rule on earth for 1000 years. They will be kings and priests teaching the humans the way and the truth about God. The Scriptures said "blessed are those who will be in the 1st Resurrection."

After the 1000 years is over, comes the Great White Throne Judgment or commonly known as "The Judgment Day." A this time, the rest of mankind will be resurrected for judgment. This is the 2nd Resurrection.

REV 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5: But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6: Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.
True.

Good post.

Either way EVERYONE gets up at a "resurrection".

Nobody is up before, hanging around, or hearing prayers.

Only Jesus has been raised, to be our Lord.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

589 posts, read 1,348,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
True.

Good post.

Either way EVERYONE gets up at a "resurrection".

Nobody is up before, hanging around, or hearing prayers.

Only Jesus has been raised, to be our Lord.
Actually, on the day Jesus was resurrected, there are dead elect/saints who were also resurrected! The resurrection of Christ and the 24 saints actually fulfills the Feast of the Firstfruits (notice plural).

In Rev 4:4 John saw the 24 elders:

Rev 4:4 And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Matt 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51: And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52: And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53: And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM

11,826 posts, read 10,167,278 times
When you die, you are before God and are then judged Hebrews 9:27. At the end of time, the body is reunited with the soul and all people of all time will be before God in His court. God will pronounce the verdict. Then both body and soul will go to their eternal place....heaven or hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity