Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:25 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Believing that we instantly go to heaven, put on a halo and wings, sounds very nice. It is an image that we would all wish for.

There is one parable, which includes a story of a man in the after-life, wishing that he could send message back to tell folks to straighten out their lives. Is that parable to be used to form 14 different doctrines? Or is that parable teaching it's one topic only? That once we die it is too late to go back and to make changes in how we lived.

Otherwise we do have clear and precise passages that tell us about death.

No need to fill in the gaps.

No need to add halos and wings.

We have one parable that could be stretched to possibly meaning a bunch of different things. And we have a group of passages that all agree that our next waking moment of life will be before God in the Resurrection.

So which do we believe?

Paul knew that in death his next waking moment he would instantly be with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Believing that we instantly go to heaven, put on a halo and wings, sounds very nice. It is an image that we would all wish for.

There is one parable, which includes a story of a man in the after-life, wishing that he could send message back to tell folks to straighten out their lives. Is that parable to be used to form 14 different doctrines? Or is that parable teaching it's one topic only? That once we die it is too late to go back and to make changes in how we lived.

Otherwise we do have clear and precise passages that tell us about death.

No need to fill in the gaps.

No need to add halos and wings.

We have one parable that could be stretched to possibly meaning a bunch of different things. And we have a group of passages that all agree that our next waking moment of life will be before God in the Resurrection.

So which do we believe?

Amen....

Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
"Believing that we instantly go to heaven, put on a halo and wings, sounds very nice."

Nothing was said about 'putting on a halo and wings" ! At least not in my post .

Believe what you wish, it is no skin off of my nose!

Your last bolded verse seems to be a contradiction of your first one???? I am in agreement with it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Your last bolded verse seems to be a contradiction of your first one???? I am in agreement with it.

You agree with one Bible passage and yet not with another Bible passage?

Both passages are Bible, so both are equally correct.

I see no contradiction.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You agree with one Bible passage and yet not with another Bible passage?

Both passages are Bible, so both are equally correct.

I see no contradiction.
I guess I missed the scripture about putting on a halo and wings. Where is it found????
The word 'halo' is not even in my concordance. And the only scriptures I can find about 'wings' in the NT is in the book of Revelation, and it is not talking about those who go to heaven.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
Perhaps what is told of those who died before Christ's physical birth would lend some insight - didn't He preach to those in a parallel state? As in Matthew's account (27:52-53) the bodies of the saints were resurrected and went into the city - how could they be present if they were floating on clouds (or whatever people think heaven is like)?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,232,972 times
We don't get to put on a halo and wings, because we will not become angels. Angels are another created being, just as dogs or deer. We are just as likely to turn into deer and to turn into angels.

As far as what happens the moment we die I haven't formed any strong conclusions yet, so this has been a good thread for me to read.

I have heard (and I'm in seminary so I hear all the options) that we go instantly into Heaven or Hell. I kinda like that idea. I think Heaven will be great, and I'm so thankful that God made a way for me to be there with Him. Jesus is so amazing!!!

I have also heard that we do go into this sleep like state where it will seem like the next instant and then Christ will return and the dead will rise and be gathered up to Him and from there we go to Heaven.

I'm still praying about it and reading Scripture to figure it out, but either way I'm excited to know that my eternity will be spent with Christ!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:47 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
This is an area where we are given very little insight about what to expect . . . so anything I say is pure speculation based on my spiritual experiences of different states of consciousness.

We ARE our consciousness in the form of pure energy that has accumulated from our first thoughts and feelings after our birth. As energy . . . we exist (like everything in the universe) as a vibratory composite . . . (sort of like our Soul Symphony). Various "passages"(times or phases in our lives) in our "symphony" may be "out of tune" with God's basic "key" . . . (for some of us, like Hitler or Genghis Khan . . . perhaps MOST of it).

Our various "passages and melodies" are unique to us . . . but they need to be in the same "key" as God. We can revisit our thoughts and feelings from the past and "re-tune" them while alive (which is fortunate . . . and what repentance is). Since our consciousness (soul) is already aware . . . when we die we transit through the states I am able to achieve in meditation . . . and beyond. You are familiar with the removal of a time constraint during the dream state . . . so that we are capable of extensive experiences in what is only a few seconds of real time. You are probably also familiar with the "life flashing before our eyes" anecdotes regarding the time of death.

I believe we will have to revisit ALL those out of tune "passages" in our "Soul Symphony" after we are free of the time constraints and connection to our bodily "womb" and become pure spirit. If we are able to properly tune them (because our soul truly resonates with God) . . . we will be accepted into the celestial orchestra of God . . . if not . . . I suspect we will be sent back for "music lessons."

Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
Quote:
Just wanted to get some thoughts on what some of you think happens the second we close our eyes and die the physical death.

Hi, I believe that we die and wait the resurrection. We are dead and this is referred to as sleeping in the scriptures. I believe that this is referred to as sleeping because death is temporary, not a permanent condition. I don't believe that our souls go to heaven or that but I believe the spirit returns to God and I don't believe that the spirit is conscious and living in heaven. I believe that we will be raised from the dead. This is the glory and hope of the resurrection. The dead do not know that they are dead and when we awaken it will be as if no time as passed.

Quote:

John 5 28`Wonder not at this, because there doth come an hour in which all those in the tombs shall hear his voice,29and they shall come forth; those who did the good things to a rising again of life, and those who practised the evil things to a rising again of judgment (Young's Literal)
Quote:

Agree. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-07-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity