U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:29 AM

7,405 posts, read 10,072,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since the bible is for spiritual edification and guidance . . . are the narratives necessarily historical factual renderings of archaeological facts . . . or do they have a different purpose. As Paul said in Romans 15:4, ". . . For whatever things have been written, have been written for our instruction." How should we approach them?
There are plenty of rich layers within even the narratives that they have multiple lessons and applications. That is not the essence of my post.

My point is DON'T make scripture say what it DOESN'T say.

There is nothing within the Genesis narrative to make this Serpent Seed Theory about sex. Like I mentioned before, the bible is very forthright about sexual matters when sexual matters were involved. If Eve succumbed to sex with the serpent, then the scripture would say so. No need to hide it in a bunch of imagery.

The same book (Genesis) mentions the men of Sodom desiring homosexual contact with Lot's guest, even turning down the offer of his virgin daughers. Later on, Onan withdrew during intercourse with Tamar before orgasm so as not to impregnate her. The same Tamar posed as a prostitute and slept with her father in law in order to become pregnant.

The scripture is not shy about sexual matters. If Genesis is so uanabashed when sex is the topic, why would the original sin, if it were sexual in nature, be so completely veiled?

That is my point. No need to make scripture say what it DOESN"T say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 AM

40,065 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There are plenty of rich layers within even the narratives that they have multiple lessons and applications. That is not the essence of my post.

My point is DON'T make scripture say what it DOESN'T say.
. . .
That is my point. No need to make scripture say what it DOESN"T say.
Ah . . . then we are in agreement.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-08-2009 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,717,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Is that why christians can`t agree on a lot of things in the bible....because everything is stated plain and simple?
Serpent seed is not Christian, totally contradicts the rest of scripture. Always remember context, context, context and the serpent seed doctrine plays fast and very loose.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-08-2009 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,628,957 times
That is one of the most disgusting theories that I have ever heard of!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
That is one of the most disgusting theories that I have ever heard of!
Here, here.

The strong appeal that sex has on the carnal mind easily explains how this theory would come to be. I do believe Eve was symbolic of the soul that gets pulled in by lusts of all types.

The influence that "Adam and Eve" have in the dark world of stuff not worth mentioning is endless.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Here, here.

The strong appeal that sex has on the carnal mind easily explains how this theory would come to be. I do believe Eve was symbolic of the soul that gets pulled in by lusts of all types.

The influence that "Adam and Eve" have in the dark world of stuff not worth mentioning is endless.
Agreed. The bigger picture is that sin entered into the whole of creation through this act, thus sex used for purposes other than the great gift it has been given to a husband and wife entered into creation as a consequence of this action.

But the bible is plain where it needs to be plain. The original sin was not that God said this certain kind of vegetable matter that grows from a certain kind of evil botanic life form is bad, but that it was a choice of the knowledge of good and evil vs. the tree of life. This is still what is before us today in the law vs. grace. Do we choose a lifestyle that goes by a list of rules that is in essence trying to overcome our evil by doing good or do we go to the tree of life for our life? The root of this sin came in disbelief when the serpent tempted Eve with the idea that God had lied to them. This is still our downfall, every time we sin, we are falling for that same line from the enemy, that God doesn't really love us, doesn't really have the best for us and we turn to a substitute.

There are times in the scripture where I believe the scripture is vague so that we can relate. For instance, I don't believe Paul spells out exactly what his thorn in the flesh is, so any of us can come with our particular thorn and know that God's grace is sufficient for us and we can know his strength perfected in our weakness.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
But the bible is plain where it needs to be plain. The original sin was not that God said this certain kind of vegetable matter that grows from a certain kind of evil botanic life form is bad, but that it was a choice of the knowledge of good and evil vs. the tree of life. This is still what is before us today in the law vs. grace. Do we choose a lifestyle that goes by a list of rules that is in essence trying to overcome our evil by doing good or do we go to the tree of life for our life? The root of this sin came in disbelief when the serpent tempted Eve with the idea that God had lied to them. This is still our downfall, every time we sin, we are falling for that same line from the enemy, that God doesn't really love us, doesn't really have the best for us and we turn to a substitute.
Worth repping, though I can't. This is so true, brother.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM

59 posts, read 225,328 times
If you embrace the bible's contents as purely factual, then you will find yourself with contradicting stories and accounts. An example would be the Gospel of Luke and the Gospel of Mark. Do not misinterpret me. I am a Christian - simply a Christian that understands that symbolism is prevalent throughout the Bible and Christianity.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamseight View Post
If you embrace the bible's contents as purely factual, then you will find yourself with contradicting stories and accounts. An example would be the Gospel of Luke and the Gospel of Mark. Do not misinterpret me. I am a Christian - simply a Christian that understands that symbolism is prevalent throughout the Bible and Christianity.
No one here is saying that the bible is not rich with symbolism, but it is still true and factual as well.

Please give me the big contradiction between Mark and Luke that you refer to.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,720,418 times
I know a man who founded a church in the late 60's and taught serpent seed doctrine for over 20 years and then apologized saying "I was wrong to take it as a literal seed - it's a spiritual thing".

Thank God for someone with enough guts to say they were wrong for so many years.

Virtually all the natural physical seeds are mixed, so races don't matter. How could they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity