U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

59 posts, read 225,591 times

Advertisements

Mark tells us that Jesus only taught in the area of Galilee, but not in Judea, and only traveling to Jerusalem once, towards the end of his life. Luke, contrary to Mark, portrays Jesus as teaching frequently in Galilee and Judea. They also have different accounts of the last words of Jesus when he was crucified, along with different accounts of His resurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:29 PM

322 posts, read 658,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamseight View Post
Mark tells us that Jesus only taught in the area of Galilee, but not in Judea, and only traveling to Jerusalem once, towards the end of his life. Luke, contrary to Mark, portrays Jesus as teaching frequently in Galilee and Judea. They also have different accounts of the last words of Jesus when he was crucified, along with different accounts of His resurrection.
If all the gospels are put together (the whole Bible for that matter), then we get the most complete understanding of the LORD and His awesome deeds. There is never a Bible conflict. There are conflicts within our own understanding sometimes.

But back to the op---that doctrine about the garden seed is a complete joke. Thanks for the warning. I've not heard that one before now.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,761,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Ok I want some opinions on this subject.

The Serpent Seed doctrine is a theory that the forbidden fruit of the garden of Eden was sex with the serpent and that the trees in the garden were other men.

Figured I would give just a little to see what others may add.
My opinion of it is that it's a bunch of crap. Actually, that's not true. At least manure is good for fertilizer.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:49 PM

7,500 posts, read 10,111,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamseight View Post
If you and I witnessed a historical event and then wrote about it, we would have varying views based on our perspective. If both of us were factual in what we wrote, did not embellish or make anything up, and told exactly to the best of our abilities what we heard and saw, they would still be differing accounts. Why? Because of perspective, yours and mine. Because they are different doesn't mean the are contradictory.

Your example here makes it sound like Mark is saying that Jesus only went to Jerusalem one time and DID NOT go any other time and "Matthew says Jesus said this on the cross, he didn't, he said....." Mark's gospel account does not say anything close to this.

Mark's gospel, divinely inspired by the Lord only covers the things the Lord saw fit for him to record. By leaving out the birth narrative, the trip to the temple at age twelve and other events that Matthew includes, Mark is not saying these things did not happen, he is just covering what he saw fit (being divinely inspired) to put in his gospel.

I think it is the beauty and wisdom of God in that he gave us a book that includes 4 differing perspectives that ARE NOT contradictory. We get to see a fullness of who Jesus is and what he did that we would not have if only one person penned the story.

Because they are not the same is no reason to say they are contradictory, they are instead complimentary. HUGE difference.

Beamseight, I have not gotten to know you well on this site as of yet and you might not be meaning this when you make the remark. But accusing the gospels of being contradictory is a strong statement and needs to be backed up with more than this. Perhaps it is just semantics and you don't fully grasp your word choice. But saying the bible is contradictory is opening a huge can of worms and you need to realize the gravity before men and your Lord of making such a statement.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM

59 posts, read 225,591 times
Saintmark, a contradiction simply shows inconsistencies.
MT 28:2 An angel arrived during an earthquake, rolled back the stone, then sat on it.
MK 16:5 No earthquake, only one young man sitting inside the tomb.
LK 24:2-4 No earthquake. Two men suddenly appear standing inside the tomb.
JN 20:12 No earthquake. Two angels are sitting inside the tomb.
As you can clearly see, these accounts VARY - they are not false, but they are DIFFERENT. I do not know what you would consider INCONSISTENT accounts, but I will label these INCONSISTENCIES as CONTRADICTING statements. It is not difficult to understand. Maybe you should review my original post. I am not saying the Bible is false. I am simply saying the messages and accounts should be interpreted. Although Bible bangers would disagree with me, that is to be expected. Allow me to reinforce the fact that I am a practicing Christian. I am not challenging your faith or beliefs. I am simply offering my opinion on symbolism in the Bible. Since you can not seem to grasp what I am saying, I would greatly appreciate it if you would not waste my time with anymore posts.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,038,643 times
This is great folks, I really appreciate the input. I do not adhere to the serpent seed doctrine but on other sites I have debated the doctrine and those people are pretty stubourne.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 PM

174 posts, read 451,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
This is great folks, I really appreciate the input. I do not adhere to the serpent seed doctrine but on other sites I have debated the doctrine and those people are pretty stubourne.
Those who hold to "special revealed doctrine" are the hardest to sway. It plays to their pride, but worse, they feel it justified because they are upholding the true nature of the revelation of God's Word.

In this instance, you find people who study their bibles, investigate the original languages, and are pretty well-versed in their doctrine. Pointing to Scripture is difficult, because they're already armed for a reply. The only way out of that doctrine is for them to set all that they've accumulated aside and then take a fresh look, and consider the forgone conclusions they've already dismissed.

If they can manage that, then they'll start questioning the obvious flaws in their doctrine like the assertion that Noah put two Kenites aboard the Ark, in obeying the Lord's command. Serpent seed or not, they wouldn't have been classified as an animal. Even those who adhere to that doctrine don't rule out salvation for the Kenites, of sons of Cain. Animals don't need a Saviour.

Then there is the question, where is their fruit? The doctrine leads to exclusivity, pride, hatred (no matter how they deny it) and generally an uncharitable spirit. This runs counter to what the Word teaches as to evidence of the Spirit. Compare Galatians 5:20 to Galatians 5:22.

Their most vocal teacher once pulled a 9mm out on an individual who was shouting "Heresy!" during one of his sermons. So much for the biblical mandates towards discipline.

Do take a close look at Galatians 5:20, and do a word study on the list. I think you'll get a better idea of what you are up against.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 PM

Hey wasnt that preacher in Yulee, Florida? I used to drive right past his church. If not Oh well.

Thanks for the input, I have studied all I could to combat this harmful doctrine, but many are convinced that if they deny it they will go to hell.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,593,320 times
Just another one of the end times "false teaching" that would come on the scene in these last days..............IMO. Right up there along with " Christ has already come." Yet, there's more to come.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 PM

Hey we have been warned, and we continue to warn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity